7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
September 23, 2017, 11:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228

I can pass a ball on the ground to my grandson but so what? We have never been tested in a competitive football league game have we? In any event, we do pass it on the ground a lot of the time but some games (like today from the reports) we seem to panic and get rid too quickly which is normal for average players. In my lifetime it is only during the Buckley era we HAD to play the ball on the floor - every other manager played a more pragmatic game - some long ball and some proper football. There have been many managers that played aimless hoof ball but I don't think Slade is one of them.  

Yes the the big question is can he run in to space and can he pass it back?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
Mrs Doyle
September 23, 2017, 11:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Only listened on the radio but it seemed Woolford had a bad game and Summerfield had a good game when introduced, Still don't think our fitness levels are high enough. Also Love to see some real passion by anyone,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
moosey_club
September 24, 2017, 12:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
We looked dogsh!t today.  Watched the first 45 on Ifollow...how we escaped half time with 0-0 is a mystery...2 or 3 off the line clearances with McKeown flapping all over.....no passages of play whatsover and a compeletely absent midfield....Woolford, Berrett, Rose and Siriki AWOL...must admit Siriki had the odd glimpse but zero end product when he did.
Newport were 2 or 3 times more up for it than we were..we hardly won a first ball let alone a second one....no physical presence, no quality in posession ...felt sorry for the back four who were under relentless pressure.

Simpering performance which p1sses me off more than anything...never in the game.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
GYinScuntland
September 24, 2017, 12:45am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Despite punching above our weight at times in the 80s and 90s if you look at our post war history we have flirted with Div 3 and 4 most of the time so it could be that expectation is a bit out of sync with where we are capable of sitting.

Are you talking Boer or Falkland war?
Yeah, let's all be happy and grateful for what we have eh. felicitations sake, I expect more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
Teestogreen
September 24, 2017, 1:29am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Ahh Sole

I'm beginning to think that Dembele is a bit one dimensional to be honest. For all that he has in terms of potential, there is clearly a reason that he was at the Nike Academy but without an end product, what have we got? I'd like to see DJ start in his place on Tuesday if I'm honest.

I think Dembele's strength (having only seen him one game may I add) is his initial trickery / speed in beating the opponent and for this reason, I would play him further up the field (and I think he would score a lot of goals) I. e. alongside (within 10 yards of) Jamille Matt, with Sam Jones just behind or indeed with a rotation of these 3 quick players.
Town would then need to set up a back 5 (including 2 wing backs) with a midfield holding / prompting 2.
I believe Town have the personnel to achieve this but in January 2018 could be improved.  Over to you Russell?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
golfer
September 24, 2017, 9:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115
There is nothing we can do at the moment about our PLIGHT -we are stuck with this squad until their contracts run out-we have a big squad so wont be able to go mad in the next transfer window. All we can do is hope Slade improves with his "tactics" and keep our fingers crossed but at the moment I feel it's our legs we will have to keep crossed. This team I'm afraid wouldn't be able to get near our promotion side in ability or commitment- let's hope we can learn from our errors because there have been mistakes aplenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 24, 2017, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Are you talking Boer or Falkland war?
Yeah, let's all be happy and grateful for what we have eh. felicitations sake, I expect more.

How much more?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
rancido
September 24, 2017, 11:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Give it over !! Just because your living in the past with Hurst my era and how he plays his football doesn’t mean sladey does, it will come good soon am sure off it, am not bothered about pushing for promotion atm just happy to stay clear of relegation, sladey 2nd season are always better

But aren't you living in the past about how Slade played his football?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
rancido
September 24, 2017, 11:28am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96

He can only work with what he is able to sign. The budget isn't enough for him to get the class necessary. Some of Slade's sides have played beautiful football. The Yeovil team that took on Nottingham Forest in a play off semi final played fantastic football, but one assumes they had the budget to get top notch players ( I suppose that is one of the reasons he went there.) Slade is a pragmatist and will play the style that suits the players  we have got - which are average at best.

I am still hopeful he will be able to get this team to gel and be in the top half, but unless we can get some new investment into the club we will be treading water.

I know it's only early days but there are teams above us eg Accrington who will have similar if not smaller budgets than us. Slade has signed 11 players and if he wanted better players then maybe he should have reduced that number to 6 or 7 better quality players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 68
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 24, 2017, 1:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from rancido

I know it's only early days but there are teams above us eg Accrington who will have similar if not smaller budgets than us. Slade has signed 11 players and if he wanted better players then maybe he should have reduced that number to 6 or 7 better quality players.

I tend to agree with your comment on bringing in less players but think this may have been due to original targets not joining, players like Matt not agreeing to sign until late in the window and a failure to get players out. A bif factor in Accrington's favour is their location & proximity to so many other football league clubs which allows them access to a lot of younger players released by larger clubs and more experienced players do not have to relocate. Our geoghraphical location has never helped player recruitment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › SLADEBALL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.