HertsGTFC
September 23, 2017, 9:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
You support a football team you have good & bad times. During my fifty plus years we probably have had more bad than good but when those good days, Spurs, Everton , Liverpool, West Ham, & good seasons come along it makes it all worthwhile.

We have had some poor years since the millenium but hopefully our turn will come again. I accept its not great at the minute but football can turn on small margins, should we win our two home games next week we will be very well placed. Lose to Lincoln, and I will get weeks of grief, but that goes with the territory and will not change my love of all things black & white.

We support town, we are inconsistent, we are not currently great to watch but every victory gives us an extra spring in our step and thats why I still attend most home matches. Lose, slumped shoulders, frown & grumpy most of the evening, but doubt that will ever change whatever league we are playing in.

Despite punching above our weight at times in the 80s and 90s if you look at our post war history we have flirted with Div 3 and 4 most of the time so it could be that expectation is a bit out of sync with where we are capable of sitting.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
promotion plaice
September 23, 2017, 9:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

I bet the Tranmere fans would love their team to be as shite as ours, we are mid-table in league 2 FFS.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
louth_in_the_south
September 23, 2017, 10:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Sladeball ? Ffs were a L2 team with L2 players . As herts said we've spent most our post war history in the 3rd and 4th tier . We'll bounce around the divs having good and bad years , having good and bad managers , having good and bad chairmen long after were long gone . Our kids will be arguing about the same shi.te in years to come no doubt .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2017, 10:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Can't say I'm a fan of this style of play, I never expected anything different from Slade which is a large part why I didn't want him back.

He can only work with what he is able to sign. The budget isn't enough for him to get the class necessary. Some of Slade's sides have played beautiful football. The Yeovil team that took on Nottingham Forest in a play off semi final played fantastic football, but one assumes they had the budget to get top notch players ( I suppose that is one of the reasons he went there.) Slade is a pragmatist and will play the style that suits the players  we have got - which are average at best.

I am still hopeful he will be able to get this team to gel and be in the top half, but unless we can get some new investment into the club we will be treading water.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
sonofmadeleymariner
September 23, 2017, 10:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37

He can only work with what he is able to sign. The budget isn't enough for him to get the class necessary. Some of Slade's sides have played beautiful football. The Yeovil team that took on Nottingham Forest in a play off semi final played fantastic football, but one assumes they had the budget to get top notch players ( I suppose that is one of the reasons he went there.) Slade is a pragmatist and will play the style that suits the players  we have got - which are average at best.

I am still hopeful he will be able to get this team to gel and be in the top half, but unless we can get some new investment into the club we will be treading water.

I'm sorry even the guys I play football with on a monday night can string a set of passes on the deck together, you can't tell me pro footballers can't do it even at this level. I don't expect them to look like Barcelona, but I expect them to be able to pass the ball on the ground. Slades hoof ball doesn't work without a Reddy style striker to do the chasing up front and Slade failed to sign a Reddy style Striker all he brought it was cast offs and a young striker who may come good if we had the budget to develop him unfortunately he will probably be gone within a year or 2

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
Mrs Doyle
September 23, 2017, 10:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
If Slade was a one dimensional hoofball man WHY did he get Dembele and D.J. here ??? Two five foot odd play makers.

I would think he knows a lot more than people on here about football and systems I don't like harping on about Hurst but he always wanted John Lewis back here.

Every team at this level needs a good target man hence why Matt is being given a good run this side is still in it's infancy but we need more hunger to win first and second balls.

Not sure our defence is good enough though and that he is restricted with options is the real worry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
Rob_in_Grimsby
September 23, 2017, 10:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8

Size of the budget does not guarantee success, just ask both of the FGR fans or Dale Vince
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2017, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker

I'm sorry even the guys I play football with on a monday night can string a set of passes on the deck together, you can't tell me pro footballers can't do it even at this level. I don't expect them to look like Barcelona, but I expect them to be able to pass the ball on the ground. Slades hoof ball doesn't work without a Reddy style striker to do the chasing up front and Slade failed to sign a Reddy style Striker all he brought it was cast offs and a young striker who may come good if we had the budget to develop him unfortunately he will probably be gone within a year or 2

I can pass a ball on the ground to my grandson but so what? We have never been tested in a competitive football league game have we? In any event, we do pass it on the ground a lot of the time but some games (like today from the reports) we seem to panic and get rid too quickly which is normal for average players. In my lifetime it is only during the Buckley era we HAD to play the ball on the floor - every other manager played a more pragmatic game - some long ball and some proper football. There have been many managers that played aimless hoof ball but I don't think Slade is one of them.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
September 23, 2017, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Size of the budget does not guarantee success, just ask both of the FGR fans or Dale Vince

No it doesn't but if you look at the league pyramid by and large it generally follows that the biggest budgets hold sway, with the odd exception.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
Ahh Sole
September 23, 2017, 11:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
If Slade was a one dimensional hoofball man WHY did he get Dembele and D.J. here ??? Two five foot odd play makers.

I would think he knows a lot more than people on here about football and systems I don't like harping on about Hurst but he always wanted John Lewis back here.

Every team at this level needs a good target man hence why Matt is being given a good run this side is still in it's infancy but we need more hunger to win first and second balls.

Not sure our defence is good enough though and that he is restricted with options is the real worry.

I'm beginning to think that Dembele is a bit one dimensional to be honest. For all that he has in terms of potential, there is clearly a reason that he was at the Nike Academy but without an end product, what have we got? I'd like to see DJ start in his place on Tuesday if I'm honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › SLADEBALL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.