Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 108 Guests

Paul Hurst

This thread currently has 39,603 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
October 4, 2017, 8:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GrimRob

He wanted to go. We were compensated.

As for them being a nothing club, you are living in the previous century. They averaged more than us last season (a poor one for them and a good one for us straight after promotion) . Their ground and facilities are vastly superior and they are a division above us.

I think the question that needed to be asked is why did he want to go?

They are miles away from where he lives. They were deep in the relegation zone, which is a huge gamble and they're Shrewsbury Town. They've averaged about 5.5 thousand over the last few seasons and they built a new ground with  a capacity under 10 thousand.

It just doesn't make any sense to make that move unless there was something wrong at Town. Where was his new contract? Why had he not been provided with an S&C coach? If you remember before he left he was publicly critical about the lack infrastructure on the coaching side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 213
Garth
October 4, 2017, 8:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Glad he's gone, saw no future in him and sniffer long term at GTFC, as a manager your face has to fit here, his did not, Buckers and big Mac did    Just!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 213
Rick12
October 4, 2017, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from headingly_mariner

They are miles away from where he lives. They were deep in the relegation zone, which is a huge gamble and they're Shrewsbury Town. They've averaged about 5.5 thousand over the last few seasons and they built a new ground with  a capacity under 10 thousand.
Better contract?

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 213
Abdul19
October 4, 2017, 10:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Garth
Glad he's gone, saw no future in him and sniffer long term at GTFC, as a manager your face has to fit here, his did not, Buckers and big Mac did    Just!

He was here for 5 and a half years - is that not long term enough for you?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 213
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2017, 1:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227

It just doesn't make any sense to make that move unless there was something wrong at Town. Where was his new contract? Why had he not been provided with an S&C coach? If you remember before he left he was publicly critical about the lack infrastructure on the coaching side.

I can’t remember him moaning too much about S&C and infrastructure before he left, made a few comments afterwards but not as many as his predecessor did in his first week in the role.

I just think some posters need to just need to accept that to be a player or manager of GTFC may not be the sum total of someone’s ambition and when someone leaves there is not always a big conspiracy or back story behind things they may just want to move forward how they feel best in their careers.

At the risk of starting another” Fenty is the antichrist debate there are lots of clubs that we used to look down on but the tide has turned and they look down on us now after our decline.

It hurts to say it but in reality ladies & gents in the league pyramid on and off the pitch we are currently distinctly small time.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 213
barralad
October 4, 2017, 3:44pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I can’t remember him moaning too much about S&C and infrastructure before he left, made a few comments afterwards but not as many as his predecessor did in his first week in the role.

I just think some posters need to just need to accept that to be a player or manager of GTFC may not be the sum total of someone’s ambition and when someone leaves there is not always a big conspiracy or back story behind things they may just want to move forward how they feel best in their careers.

At the risk of starting another” Fenty is the antichrist debate there are lots of clubs that we used to look down on but the tide has turned and they look down on us now after our decline.

It hurts to say it but in reality ladies & gents in the league pyramid on and off the pitch we are currently distinctly small time.

The highlighted bit is for me a direct consequence of our six seasons in non-league. Yes the fan base by and large held up but as has been mentioned on here numerous times there was no spare money floating about to maintain a good youth scheme (and the competition for good youngsters from established league clubs was stiff) or create posts in the areas mentioned which League clubs could use some of their payments to at least partially source. I hate it but the fact is that on our return to the League we were no different to any other new club in respect of our starting point. I love our rich history but in practical terms it meant absolutely nothing.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 213
headingly_mariner
October 4, 2017, 4:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

The highlighted bit is for me a direct consequence of our six seasons in non-league. Yes the fan base by and large held up but as has been mentioned on here numerous times there was no spare money floating about to maintain a good youth scheme (and the competition for good youngsters from established league clubs was stiff) or create posts in the areas mentioned which League clubs could use some of their payments to at least partially source. I hate it but the fact is that on our return to the League we were no different to any other new club in respect of our starting point. I love our rich history but in practical terms it meant absolutely nothing.

It's not as if we've relied or benefitted from providing our own youngsters in our recent past.
The club didn't move to make the improvements off the field after promotion and lost a manager when we shouldn't have.

You don't have to be a mega bucks established league club to make good decisions to keep a successful manager.
The problem is nothing to do with our History, it is the failings of the current administration to run the club properly. Losing a successful manager to another unfashionable lower division club is just one of many issues.

We are back in a position were crowds are dropping, people feel no connection with most of the playing/coaching staff and any forward momentum we had is lost. The club has been in a rut for years, PH lifted that. The club has a negative aura again and that is down to the board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 213
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2017, 4:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Exactly!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 213
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2017, 4:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker

It's not as if we've relied or benefitted from providing our own youngsters in our recent past.
The club didn't move to make the improvements off the field after promotion and lost a manager when we shouldn't have.

You don't have to be a mega bucks established league club to make good decisions to keep a successful manager.
The problem is nothing to do with our History, it is the failings of the current administration to run the club properly. Losing a successful manager to another unfashionable lower division club is just one of many issues.

We are back in a position were crowds are dropping, people feel no connection with most of the playing/coaching staff and any forward momentum we had is lost. The club has been in a rut for years, PH lifted that. The club has a negative aura again and that is down to the board.

I agree but worth pointing out fair amount of the negativity that some feel about the club is being fueled by social media as well as what goes on in the board room and on the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 213
RichMariner
October 4, 2017, 4:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209

Paul Hurst was exactly what we needed, at that time. He settled things down, built a team, got us promoted and steadied us in League 2.

So many fans got bogged down in the small, irrelevant details ('dour Yorkie') that they lost sight of the bigger picture.

And that is: he's a young manager with three promotions on his CV, a fantastic win ratio and an ability to build squads that are big on organisation and teamwork.

I'm not surprised he moved on, I'm not surprised he's enjoying success somewhere else and I'm absolutely not surprised we as a club we're too stupid to not give him what he needed to keep us moving forward.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 79 - 213
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.