Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 294 Guests

Paul Hurst

This thread currently has 39,629 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
October 11, 2017, 6:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Looking at Wiki the fans chipped in with £10K for Joe, oh what we would give for his like in mid field now> He could run a game with his eyes shut

I remember it well ,

Well fairly well but can not remember names,

There was a well known runner from Grimsby who I played football with but I can not remember his name at the mo,

Anyway he ran from Leicester City's ground to Blundell Park and raised a fair bit of cash to bring Joe here,

Sadly he died a few years back he was a really nice bloke.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 213
arryarryarry
October 11, 2017, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

I'm pretty sure the fans had to fund raise to get Waters here.

I played in a sponsored football match to help raise the funds.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 213
barralad
October 11, 2017, 8:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If you "don't want to be pedantic" then you don't have to be..............  

Tom Casey signed most of them and gave the likes of Tony Ford debuts but John trusted them enough to make them a massive part of a promotion winning team after bringing them on the season before, you can sign who you want but then someone has to make them successful.

Or you could say it was Casey's foresight (to be fair though I don't think he had that many options) that got them some much needed first team action which meant they could cope better when Newman came calling  

Seriously though Newman's part in their development cannot be under-estimated. Most of those mentioned played together in the Northern Intermediate League when I believe they won either the league or the cup and got crowds in the hundreds watching them. A special time.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 213
HertsGTFC
October 11, 2017, 9:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,907
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barralad

Or you could say it was Casey's foresight (to be fair though I don't think he had that many options) that got them some much needed first team action which meant they could cope better when Newman came calling  

Seriously though Newman's part in their development cannot be under-estimated. Most of those mentioned played together in the Northern Intermediate League when I believe they won either the league or the cup and got crowds in the hundreds watching them. A special time.

I seem to recall some of the local talent came through the old YDA system long before the days of the academy. It's one of my biggest disappointments of the last decade or so hat we stopped bringing our youngsters through. I feel that RS could do his popularity rating a lot of good by giving some game time to the likes of Harry Clifton etc.. some time soon.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 213
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2017, 10:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Pete, that runner was Brian Jones I think. Often seemed to doing marathons and longer.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 213
barralad
October 12, 2017, 12:02am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Pete, that runner was Brian Jones I think. Often seemed to doing marathons and longer.

Spot on Kingston. Brian died a good few years ago now.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 213
ginnywings
October 12, 2017, 1:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
The Stones were never the same after.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 213
grimsby pete
October 12, 2017, 8:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
[quote=120785]Pete, that runner was Brian Jones I think. Often seemed to doing marathons and longer.[/quote

Thanks KM I remembered his name when I woke up this morning. Nice man.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 213
golfer
October 12, 2017, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from grimsby pete
[quote=120785]Pete, that runner was Brian Jones I think. Often seemed to doing marathons and longer.[/quote

Thanks KM I remembered his name when I woke up this morning. Nice man.

Been racking my brains all night until I remembered his name-got up this morning and someone had beat me to it. Remember him having a "Dago" moustache -think he worked as groundsman at the A.B.P. sports ground down Carr Lane
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 213
October 22, 2017, 8:16am
Guest User
Paul Hurst continues to impress. Now 10 points clear in his automatic promotion quest.

Still the only undefeated team in the EFL. Doing an ace job.

Has to be the best English football manager in the game at the moment. Can't think of anybody doing his job better right now.

How I wish he was still our gaffer. But on the flip side I love the way that he has made so many foolish Town fans look foolish. The ones that constantly berated him. They know who they are and very few of them will admit that they were wrong and clueless
Reply: 159 - 213
22 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.