7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
September 27, 2017, 4:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from GollyGTFC
PP was chosen as the site because Fenty/GTFC insisted an enabling development had to be at the same location as the stadium. This is the only reason why Garth Lane didn't come out on top.

Since then Fenty has stated that enabling developments (NB. plural) could basically be anywhere in North East Lincolnshire.

The process was rigged to ensure PP came out of top. And now Fenty has got what he wanted the goal posts have moved.

Garth Lane is perfect. It's close to the town centre, but easily accessible from the A180 (the main road into Grimsby). It's close to the railway station & the town centre bus terminal. It will be across the road from to the new cinema/restaurant complex at Riverhead.

The Ice Rink, house development and whatever else can still be at PP and act as an enabling development for the stadium at Garth Lane.

Personal view but I can just not see anyone passing the building of a football stadium on top of the shopping area. Just think it would deter even further any potential retail tenants in Freshney Place
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
headingly_mariner
September 27, 2017, 4:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Cloudy

Personal view but I can just not see anyone passing the building of a football stadium on top of the shopping area. Just think it would deter even further any potential retail tenants in Freshney Place

Football grounds are in loads of city and town centres. Many have retail parks and attractions attached to them that are still in use on a Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
barralad
September 27, 2017, 4:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Cloudy

Well we agree on that!  I've seen numerous complaints across social media claiming that Peaks Parkway is a recipe for traffic chaos. I can only assume those advocating Garth Lane have never been anywhere near Top Town on a Saturday and seen the queues of traffic trying to access the centre. The scope for altering the road infrastructure is severely limited especially with the proposed expansion and cinema development of Freshney Place (which is already pretty much in the pipeline). I readily accept the enabling development could be elsewhere but why when a site has been agreed that can take the lot?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
barralad
September 27, 2017, 4:51pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Football grounds are in loads of city and town centres. Many have retail parks and attractions attached to them that are still in use on a Saturday.

Outside of London there are fewer and fewer and those that remain belong to a bygone age.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Garth Lane

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.