12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2017, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Whatever the rights and wrongs of Grimsby Pete's thread earlier, I would like to just ask Admin to clarify that this is still an independent forum for the supporters of Grimsby Town Football Club to air their views on everything from the club's finances to the warmth of the Bovril at half time.

We appear to have had another intervention today by the non-chairman/major shareholder and I just wanted to know if everything on here is going to continue to be scrutinised by the board of GTFC. If so, you might as well close it down.
Private Message
Fishy_fishtails
September 18, 2017, 10:41pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Independent forum, yes. Witch hunt page, no. Which is all it seems to be at the minute! I for one am pleased his thread was deleted earlier. It served no purpose nor relevance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 113
GrimRob
September 18, 2017, 10:47pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
There was no intervention whatsoever. The thread was about a private message which nobody else had seen and the contents of which were not in the public domain. If a message was sent privately to someone that's the spirit it should be treated with. We're more than happy for discussions over material in the public domain like the ones you mention. Several posters objected to the thread as well and an explanation was sent to Pete.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 113
friskneymariner
September 18, 2017, 10:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Whilst it is quite appropriate to raise issues where our non-chairman is leading personalising the issues is not acceptable for either side of the argument,some of the post have crossed the line from debate to abuse.Seems to be a trend creeping in everywhere,could I ask we all treat each other with respect and not resort to personal abuse and calling people stupid just because they don't .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 113
Bigdog
September 18, 2017, 10:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The clue was in the thread title OC. I've got a lot to say about board performance and club finances but drawing in family members is overstepping the mark..

There are honest and open debates to be had and that thread undermined any valid concerns fans have and added unwarranted credence to the witch hunt, toxic element, keyboard warrior and hater descriptions used by people who think that loyal fans shouldn't have a view opposite to the incumbent board, largely because they haven't got a strong counter argument regarding funding.

There are boundaries of decency and also discretion in a PM, It went way past it..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2017, 11:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails
Independent forum, yes. Witch hunt page, no. Which is all it seems to be at the minute! I for one am pleased his thread was deleted earlier. It served no purpose nor relevance.

Fenty has a stranglehold on the club and he and his family members are on here regularly so it certainly served a purpose. You cannot be the (non) chairman of a professional football club and not expect constant scrutiny, especially with the lack of success we have had over 15 or so years.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 113
GYinScuntland
September 18, 2017, 11:29pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97

Fenty has a stranglehold on the club and he and his family members are on here regularly so it certainly served a purpose. You cannot be the (non) chairman of a professional football club and not expect constant scrutiny, especially with the lack of success we have had over 15 or so years.

There is a difference between scrutiny and libel, it's not even a fine line.
We all have to be very careful when we are tippy tapping away as it's very easy to cross that line in the heat of the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2017, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GYinScuntland

We all have to be very careful when we are tippy tapping away as it's very easy to cross that line in the heat of the moment.

Isn't it only libellous if the thing stated is untrue?

I can't remember what Pete said much less comment on its veracity. Though I note Rob said it had to do with private messages - if Pete accurately quoted those messages would it be libellous or just 'bad form'?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 6:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I accept that the thread title was ill-advised but not necessarily the content, which seemed only to be an opinion.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 113
Fishy_fishtails
September 19, 2017, 7:09am

Lager Top Drinker
To have a thread titled fenty family and then question if they are indeed fans or not to me is pointless amongst other things, there isn't any for personal attacks towards Mr Fenty or his family. By all means voice your opinion, have a healthy debate, vent your frustration, nobody has a problem with it. Just stop the bitterness towards his brothers and family members.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2017, 7:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Feels like the blame and finger pointing culture is king at the moment............Oh for a cup run!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 113
lukeo
September 19, 2017, 7:26am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
What did I miss? I see the thread but didn't see anything bad in it, but I hadn't looked for a couple of days  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 113
headingly_mariner
September 19, 2017, 8:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a Blackpool type scenario ..let's hope not

What did the Oyston's ever do that was wrong?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 113
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 19, 2017, 10:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner

What did the Oyston's ever do that was wrong?

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-40250175[/url]

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 113
friskneymariner
September 19, 2017, 10:15am

Champagne Drinker
Seems the absence of fans is no impediment to them playing well.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 113
Zmariner
September 19, 2017, 10:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Watch the celebration at the end of the FG win and see if Mr Fenty is a fan, I donot agree with all but for me he is a town fanatic absolutely no doubt at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 113
dapperz fun pub
September 19, 2017, 1:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82

I'm certainly not saying fenty is taking money out of the club. I was more implying when the support base loses confidence in the owners they tend to stay away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 113
headingly_mariner
September 19, 2017, 2:18pm

Vodka Drinker

Sorry I forgot a  

Did a certain GTFC board member not ask that question previously?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 113
jock dock tower
September 19, 2017, 3:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Why are people treading on eggshells? On a public forum, as long as common decency isn't compromised then most things are up for discussion. I've always believed in fan ownership of a football club rather than one individual, or an individual with a controlling share as we have at Grimsby. I just don't agree it with, think it's an anachronism, and in the wrong hands - as we've seen at many clubs up and down the country - can be used for personal gain rather than benefiting the club. If it's a good enough model for the Bunsdesliga - with a couple of notable exceptions - it's good enough for me.

Because I believe in this method of ownership doesn't mean I'm going to be hostile to the chairman, although I would always argue my corner most vociferously, but I just feel we should move on from where we are now. What worries me about the Pete thing is that I never saw anything that was downright nasty to John Fenty in his post, he was arguing the point about who actually spoke for the club, and yet we're led to believe that Pete has effectively been silenced on the matter? It's a disturbing trend if true.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 113
friskneymariner
September 19, 2017, 3:49pm

Champagne Drinker
The thing is unless John Fenty has found the secret of immortality ,he is not always going to be around,so between now and the time of his departure there must be a succession the appropriate question should be has J.F. done any succession planning

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 113
geir
September 19, 2017, 4:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Any discussion should, as far as possible, be factual.
Personal attacks are never ok.

So if someone is of the opinion that Mr. Fenty need to step down as a majority shareholder of this club, it is OK to argue for it in this forum.
But I expect you to give me a good reason why this should be so. How this could be done in a matter that would ensure the clubs survival, and why Mr. Fenty even would consider stepping down from his role as a fan and benefactor?
What guarantees do we have that someone else would come in and run the club in a "better" way? Do the fans even agree what a "better" way is?

Just asking...

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 113
Marinerz93
September 19, 2017, 4:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The purpose of the fishy is a forum, the clue is in the name Fishy Forum, a Forum is a website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings as well as adding hilarious pictures and animated Gifs. Hope this helps.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8cxSPSV.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The reason I raised this is because the top banner on the site says 'The Independent Grimsby Town Site'. It's hardly independent if the owner of the largest shareholding in the club can come on this site and effectively censor someone for having an opinion he doesn't agree with. Admittedly, starting a thread with the title 'Fenty Family' is not terribly discreet but, if we, as paying fans are not allowed to have an independent opinion on an independent site then we might as well support Pyongyang United.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 113
devs
September 19, 2017, 5:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Stop the bitterness towards John Fenty full stop
Express your views in a reasonable and coherent manner (bit of an ask for a few on here) and no one can have any complaints - it's a forum where everyone has an opinion
But the bile and hostility levelled at him over the years has been a disgrace

He's a millionaire fan (a true fan as well - look at the scenes when we won the play off final v FGR) who has made mistakes but without his cash who knows where we might be

I work in the media and I can confirm a lot of what has been written IS libellous and defamatory
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 113
Bigdog
September 19, 2017, 5:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from devs
Express your views in a reasonable and coherent manner (bit of an ask for a few on here) and no one can have any complaints - it's a forum where everyone has an opinion

He's a millionaire fan (a true fan as well - look at the scenes when we won the play off final v FGR) who has made mistakes but without his cash who knows where we might be

I work in the media and I can confirm a lot of what has been written IS libellous and defamatory

If people want to feel bitter about how one man has overseen the worst period in the club's history it's their prerogative and shouldn't be told by anyone in the free world to stop.

Your post itself is pretty hostile.

After all this time we might have been Darlington or we might have been Burton, who knows?

Libel And Opinion

Such terms represent what is called "pure opinions" because they can't be proven true or false. As a result, they cannot form the basis for a defamation claim. This is not to say that every statement of opinion is protected. If a statement implies some false underlying facts, it could be defamatory.

Having read the vast majority of the posts which are personal opinions on the subject, coupled with lack of transparency at the club leading to speculation, I think you're over-egging it a fair bit. I'm all for a bit of decency in a debate, one or two isolated posts are as you say, but overall I think your post is either misguided or adding fuel to the fire..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 113
pizzzza
September 19, 2017, 6:02pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from devs
without his cash who knows where we might be

Indeed....

We can all dream can't we?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 113
MarinerWY
September 19, 2017, 6:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Whatever people think of Fenty if they think he isn't a true fan of the club they're obviously blinded by their hate.

Regarding pro and anti Fenty, do we have to fit in one of those camps? Whatever happened to nuance?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 113
grimsby pete
September 19, 2017, 6:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters
The reason I raised this is because the top banner on the site says 'The Independent Grimsby Town Site'. It's hardly independent if the owner of the largest shareholding in the club can come on this site and effectively censor someone for having an opinion he doesn't agree with. Admittedly, starting a thread with the title 'Fenty Family' is not terribly discreet but, if we, as paying fans are not allowed to have an independent opinion on an independent site then we might as well support Pyongyang United.

I have not been told or asked to be quiet on here and I am free to say what I think is true,

BUT

Having spoke to John on the phone I can see both sides and I understand certain things could be upsetting if the same thing was said to me.

So whatever anybody thinks of John I can say he is very approachable and is willing to talk to any fan,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 113
moosey_club
September 19, 2017, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimsby pete

I have not been told or asked to be quiet on here and I am free to say what I think is true,

BUT

Having spoke to John on the phone I can see both sides and I understand certain things could be upsetting if the same thing was said to me.

So whatever anybody thinks of John I can say he is very approachable and is willing to talk to any fan,

beep...beep ...beep ....Pete reversing ....beep ....beep...beep....Pete reversing  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
September 19, 2017, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from devs

As chairman (or non chairman) of any football league (or indeed non league club) you will get pilloried when it goes badly, and receive accolades when things go right.

OK, there hasn't been many accolades, but John Fenty is big enough to understand the trials and tribulations of the job and that will inevitably include severe criticism of him personally when things are not going well.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 113
LondonMariner43
September 19, 2017, 7:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
While we are at it, I'd love to see an end to posts in general that make vitriolic comments about individuals.

There seems to be some posters who take extremely negative views about individuals in a way that surely isn't in the interests of anyone.

Yes by all means say a player had a bad game or isn't as good as another.  But why do we have to have posts saying player x is rubbish etc.  it's clearly not the case or they wouldn't have a career as a professional footballer.

If someone is a genuinely not pulling their weight it's one thing, but I think all our current players are working hard for success.  Some are more talented than others but can't we be a bit less negative.

Likewise JF.  You may disagree with him but argue your points constructively and not just with a personal vitriol.

Some of the posts on here belittle the Fishy and make it a less enjoyable place to spend time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 113
friskneymariner
September 19, 2017, 7:16pm

Champagne Drinker
What ever his mistakes, and he has made many,he has the courage to stick his head above the parapet and spend his money,abusing him or his family totally out of order.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Likewise JF.  You may disagree with him but argue your points constructively and not just with a personal vitriol.

Some of the posts on here belittle the Fishy and make it a less enjoyable place to spend time.

If a fan has a passion for his/her football team, there's always a likelihood that there will be some vitriolic comments when things go wrong. Facts are that more has gone wrong than right over the last 15 years - are you trying to sanitise this forum so we are not allowed to criticise anybody? If so, I'm out.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 113
Mrs Doyle
September 19, 2017, 7:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
FFS why  are some people on here ready to press the self destruct button?

WE ARE ALL GTFC AFTER ALL ARE WE NOT?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 113
friskneymariner
September 19, 2017, 7:27pm

Champagne Drinker
OC really like your posts nobody trying to sanitise the Fishy but we can make our points without resorting to personal abuse keep on posting.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 113
realist
September 19, 2017, 7:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from grimsby pete

Absolute not. He refused point blank to talk to a group of fans who were againt the PP location at one of the public engagement sessions. The reason for this was he didnt think where they lived would be affected. End of matter.
He cannot take any critism whatsoever. The sooner he goes the better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Apparently he wasn't very approachable at Accrington last Tuesday night!  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 113
Grimal
September 19, 2017, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
[quote=211]Whatever people think of Fenty if they think he isn't a true fan of the club they're obviously blinded by their hate.

Regarding pro and anti Fenty, do we have to fit in one of those camps? Whatever happened to nuance?[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you'll find they disbanded back in 1988 .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 113
headingly_mariner
September 19, 2017, 8:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from devs

It's funny how people see things so differently. I'd much rather see just the players and coaching staff celebrating on the pitch. I don't want to see the major shareholder running round like they've scored the winner. I can't remember seeing any directors on the pitch at any of our relegations.

Had the club never been lent the cash we don't know where we'd be. Bearing in mind that the absolute worst thing possible happened to Wimbledon at the same time as our decline began and now they're in the league above us. I think it could've gone a lot better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 113
Grimal
September 19, 2017, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Apparently he wasn't very approachable at Accrington last Tuesday night!  

I think he would have been approachable at Accy ,if mentioning how well the team had done that night.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2017, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Funny thread this feels like big trouble in Trumpton. Someone at Mansfield said to me recently that JF gets stick because people are envious of his wealth i sometimes wonder when I read some of the stuff people post.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Funny thread this feels like big trouble in Trumpton. Someone at Mansfield said to me recently that JF gets stick because people are envious of his wealth i sometimes wonder when I read some of the stuff people post.

Envious of JF? Why?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2017, 8:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Envious of JF? Why?

"his wealth"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

"his wealth"

Yep, I read that. Wealth doesn't buy happiness.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2017, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree and "money can't buy you love" so someone once said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 113
ginnywings
September 19, 2017, 8:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
I don't care too much for money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 113
Fishy_fishtails
September 19, 2017, 8:57pm

Lager Top Drinker
Ffs! Another thread that's turned into an anti-JF post!!!! Haven't you got anything better to do than worry yourselves about JF and his Money?!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 113
TheRealJohnLewis
September 19, 2017, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Yeah why would anyone want to worry about how their club is run!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 113
friskneymariner
September 19, 2017, 9:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No but it makes being miserable more comfortable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 113
Fishy_fishtails
September 19, 2017, 9:04pm

Lager Top Drinker
But you're not. It's getting personal and ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 113
LondonMariner43
September 19, 2017, 9:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If a fan has a passion for his/her football team, there's always a likelihood that there will be some vitriolic comments when things go wrong. Facts are that more has gone wrong than right over the last 15 years - are you trying to sanitise this forum so we are not allowed to criticise anybody? If so, I'm out.

No - I'm saying it would be better all round if we treated others with respect.  Would you expect your boss to tell you that you are effing useless if you make a mistake?

Criticism is fine.  I just hate the way certain players etc get singled out for perpetual, unbalanced criticism.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Ffs! Another thread that's turned into an anti-JF post!!!! Haven't you got anything better to do than worry yourselves about JF and his Money?!?

Mmm...let's think why the independence of this site is, in your mind, linked to JF and his money. The thread was started by me because I was/am concerned that the opinions of some are being sanitised and censored by others. I, along with many others, pay for a seat at Blundell Park to watch the football team that I'm passionate about. If I'm not entitled to have an independent opinion on an independent board about GTFC is run, how a player has played, how excrement the stadium is, how cold the tea is etc. then please tell me why. As far as I know, there aren't any other football clubs that are run that way.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 113
ginnywings
September 19, 2017, 9:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Pete has already said that he wasn't told to stop posting and Rob has said it was his decision to pull the thread and he explained why, so i don't get where this particular thread is going anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 113
Fishy_fishtails
September 19, 2017, 9:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
No one is saying you can't or shouldn't have an opinion of what you have said there but my argument is that it is all aimed at Johns way he isn't the only board member but he is the one who is most berated just lately. There have been threads started about his family, who we know are fans also, they also pay for their seat. I pay for mine and my sons, I take him week in week out and I am also entitled to an opinion but you won't see me voice it on here because I'm not a judgemental fool like most!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Pete has already said that he wasn't told to stop posting and Rob has said it was his decision to pull the thread and he explained why, so i don't get where this particular thread is going anymore.

Yep, I agree. Pull this thread too and any other that is vaguely critical of our glorious leader. Bye for now, fellow Fishys - I enjoyed your company.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 113
Fishy_fishtails
September 19, 2017, 9:28pm

Lager Top Drinker
Oh so you are allowed an opinion if you're against JF but not allowed one or its gets pulled apart if you're not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 113
ginnywings
September 19, 2017, 9:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yep, I agree. Pull this thread too and any other that is vaguely critical of our glorious leader. Bye for now, fellow Fishys - I enjoyed your company.

Well i never said that did i?

I've been critical in the past but i thought the thread that prompted this thread was ill advised at best.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 113
mariner91
September 19, 2017, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,631
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't be so ridiculous. Nobody has said you can't criticise JF, he's had plenty of it on here recently. Some of it justified, some of it not so much. What overstepped the mark was where it got personal and posters started involving his family. That's crossing a line. By all means, criticise his chairmanship (or non-chairmanship) but do it in a civil manner, that is all anyone has said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 113
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2017, 10:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Don't be so ridiculous. Nobody has said you can't criticise JF, he's had plenty of it on here recently. Some of it justified, some of it not so much. What overstepped the mark was where it got personal and posters started involving his family. That's crossing a line. By all means, criticise his chairmanship (or non-chairmanship) but do it in a civil manner, that is all anyone has said.

Final post. JF has said you can't criticise JF. Only a week ago, he (allegedly) told fans to f*** off - hardly appropriate. Many of you may be happy that the club is a stagnant financial force in a situation created by, and perpetuated by being badly run - I'm not. Other than Pete entitling a thread in a an ill-advised way, all he did was voice his opinion about the controlling way in which the club is being run. You know what? He was right.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 113
Hagrid
September 19, 2017, 10:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
Oh dear  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 113
Fishy_fishtails
September 19, 2017, 10:06pm

Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Final post. JF has said you can't criticise JF. Only a week ago, he (allegedly) told fans to f*** off - hardly appropriate. Many of you may be happy that the club is a stagnant financial force in a situation created by, and perpetuated by being badly run - I'm not. Other than Pete entitling a thread in a an ill-advised way, all he did was voice his opinion about the controlling way in which the club is being run. You know what? He was right.

Thought you had gone?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's funny how people see things so differently. I'd much rather see just the players and coaching staff celebrating on the pitch. I don't want to see the major shareholder running round like they've scored the winner. I can't remember seeing any directors on the pitch at any of our relegations.

Had the club never been lent the cash we don't know where we'd be. Bearing in mind that the absolute worst thing possible happened to Wimbledon at the same time as our decline began and now they're in the league above us. I think it could've gone a lot better.

Couldn't agree more.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 10:17pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
What ever his mistakes, and he has made many,he has the courage to stick his head above the parapet and spend his money,abusing him or his family totally out of order.

Where was the abuse of his family?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 10:20pm
Meths Drinker
While we are at it, I'd love to see an end to posts in general that make vitriolic comments about individuals.

There seems to be some posters who take extremely negative views about individuals in a way that surely isn't in the interests of anyone.

Yes by all means say a player had a bad game or isn't as good as another.  But why do we have to have posts saying player x is rubbish etc.  it's clearly not the case or they wouldn't have a career as a professional footballer.

If someone is a genuinely not pulling their weight it's one thing, but I think all our current players are working hard for success.  Some are more talented than others but can't we be a bit less negative.

I agree with you in principle. But I've not seen any vitriolic comments recently. Now that might be because we have different interpretations, so if you can show examples of vitriolic comments as examples to make it clear where you draw the line, that'd help. I mean that genuinely.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Now doesn't that count as personal abuse? I know you've not pointed the finger at anyone specific, but with no evidence to back it up you're imputing impure motives to people who criticise JF's control of the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 10:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY
Whatever people think of Fenty if they think he isn't a true fan of the club they're obviously blinded by their hate.

Where has anyone said he's not a true fan of the club?

It looks like you're first of all talking about a crime that hasn't happened and then reading motives into the people that supposedly did what hasn't been done!

I would say you couldn't make it up but......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
Why are people treading on eggshells? On a public forum, as long as common decency isn't compromised then most things are up for discussion. I've always believed in fan ownership of a football club rather than one individual, or an individual with a controlling share as we have at Grimsby. I just don't agree it with, think it's an anachronism, and in the wrong hands - as we've seen at many clubs up and down the country - can be used for personal gain rather than benefiting the club. If it's a good enough model for the Bunsdesliga - with a couple of notable exceptions - it's good enough for me.

Because I believe in this method of ownership doesn't mean I'm going to be hostile to the chairman, although I would always argue my corner most vociferously, but I just feel we should move on from where we are now. What worries me about the Pete thing is that I never saw anything that was downright nasty to John Fenty in his post, he was arguing the point about who actually spoke for the club, and yet we're led to believe that Pete has effectively been silenced on the matter? It's a disturbing trend if true.

You're right about that. Not the second bit maybe, as Pete himself has pointed out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 113
Bigdog
September 19, 2017, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
No one is saying you can't or shouldn't have an opinion of what you have said there but my argument is that it is all aimed at Johns way he isn't the only board member but he is the one who is most berated just lately. There have been threads started about his family, who we know are fans also, they also pay for their seat. I pay for mine and my sons, I take him week in week out and I am also entitled to an opinion but you won't see me voice it on here because I'm not a judgemental fool like most!!!

Only the seven posts on this thread alone  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 113
TheRealJohnLewis
September 19, 2017, 10:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Where has anyone said he's not a true fan of the club?

It looks like you're first of all talking about a crime that hasn't happened and then reading motives into the people that supposedly did what hasn't been done!

I would say you couldn't make it up but......

I doubt he's a true fan, I believe that he was a businessman hoping to board a gravy train, when that train derailed and crashed with ITV digital, he's now waiting for the right opportunity to recoup his losses, in the form of the Fentydome.  

No hated of the man, not that I particularly like him and believe we need to find a way forward without him at the helm.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 11:00pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I doubt he's a true fan, I believe that he was a businessman hoping to board a gravy train, when that train derailed and crashed with ITV digital, he's now waiting for the right opportunity to recoup his losses, in the form of the Fentydome.  

No hated of the man, not that I particularly like him and believe we need to find a way forward without him at the helm.

Make a lier of me why don't you!

I think he's been around following the Town a lot longer than that. He might have got on board/on the Board in the early Noughties but that coincided with him selling Five Star Fish didn't it, giving him the money to invest/spend/chuckaway?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 113
londonmariner2
September 19, 2017, 11:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
I won't be investing my money in the club when i win the euromillions lottery.
Think of all the abuse you would get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2017, 11:33pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from londonmariner2
I won't be investing my money in the club when i win the euromillions lottery.
Think of all the abuse you would get.

What if we start the abuse now just in case you win? That way there'd be nothing to lose by investing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 113
Mrs Doyle
September 20, 2017, 5:05am
Whiskey Drinker

Lol this thread gets even dafter NOT A TRUE FAN??? not many gravy trains at our level.Please explain what a TRUE FAN IS THEN lol

I tell you now I have supported town over fifty years and if I won a couple of million would not risk investing such a large amount in any football club it is dead money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 113
Cloudy
September 20, 2017, 6:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Storm in a tea cup, an over reaction by many imo

Seen plenty of criticism of JF on here and it has surfaced more of late, but abuse? Really?

Don't think anyone can claim JF. and his family, are not true supporters ( whatever true means?) but the so called 'abuse' comes from both sides. For me they have every right to defend their views just as much as those who criticise have. ( and they have been doing so)

We see things differently, that is healthy but some are so defensive of their position that they deem themselves above criticism. Criticism isn't abuse but some are more sensitive than others!

By the way there is a match on Saturday- I' m going for our first draw!
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 113
lukeo
September 20, 2017, 6:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Personal abuse is wrong, people can have their own opinions and if people feel like we need a new person at the helm or a new owner then they're free to share their views and feelings, but personal attacks isnt the way to go about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 113
TheRealJohnLewis
September 20, 2017, 6:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Lol this thread gets even dafter NOT A TRUE FAN??? not many gravy trains at our level.Please explain what a TRUE FAN IS THEN lol

I tell you now I have supported town over fifty years and if I won a couple of million would not risk investing such a large amount in any football club it is dead money.

I refer you to my original post, google ITV Digital collapse if you must, at that point in time in football the £350 mill odd being pumped into football was a gravy train in my eyes. We were Championship equivalent at the time, not Lge 2. How much was Zhang Enhua on a week? £20k a week! £30k a week!

Ok I'll retract slightly on the True fan part, he might have been a fan around and before the time he started his investing.  The decision to invest in the club wouldn't have been based on his love for the club, it would have been a business decision. I certainly don't see him as a fan now, if he was he wouldn't have voted the way he did in the B teams vote.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 113
headingly_mariner
September 20, 2017, 7:23am

Vodka Drinker

Nah can't see that. I'm critical of him but I'm sure he's a fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 20, 2017, 7:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think if you started reading this thread from top to bottom you would be worried about what goes on in people minds, come on folks we are better than the content of this thread suggests ""where all Town aren't we"?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 113
LondonMariner43
September 20, 2017, 7:45am
Champagne Drinker
This thread pretty much sums up why I can't be bothered spending much time on here after 8 years of regular posting.  Strangely, it was a better place when we were in non league because maybe whatever the differences, we could unite around a common goal.  If we become established as a L2, despite that being what everyone wanted, that unity dissolves into dissatisfaction that we aren't in the champions league.  If you want s club backed by a sugar daddy with no interest in the club and its heritage, there are plenty around.  There's also plenty of examples of clubs who got relegated out of the league and gone to oblivion.  

I've followed Town for 40 years and there been periods where we have done amazingly well but being realistic, I'd say we are doing ok right now and we will probably have our best season since we had that guy with the cap as manager ... no what was his name?

Final post on this thread.  Possibly final post on the Fishy.  Enjoy your bickering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 113
mariner91
September 20, 2017, 7:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,631
Gold Stars: 260

I refer you to my original post, google ITV Digital collapse if you must, at that point in time in football the £350 mill odd being pumped into football was a gravy train in my eyes. We were Championship equivalent at the time, not Lge 2. How much was Zhang Enhua on a week? £20k a week! £30k a week!

Ok I'll retract slightly on the True fan part, he might have been a fan around and before the time he started his investing.  The decision to invest in the club wouldn't have been based on his love for the club, it would have been a business decision. I certainly don't see him as a fan now, if he was he wouldn't have voted the way he did in the B teams vote.

He was on 10K a week. As if Fenty thought he could swan into the club and make off with a load of the ITV digital money  . If those were his true intentions why didn't he just piss off the second they went belly up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 113
Maringer
September 20, 2017, 8:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Anybody who thinks there is money to be made from GTFC is sadly deluded and I don't think Fenty is anything like that daft.

You've always had chancers getting involved with clubs for nefarious ends but only at those clubs whose ground are built on land that has some value. Not something relevant to GTFC.

I'm sure he wanted to help the club when he got on board, but that's something which has proved beyond his abilities. Running a successful fish business is obviously pretty different to running a successful club. Too many variables to pin down and I often wonder how much luck is involved in achieving success at smaller clubs like ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 113
mike_d
September 20, 2017, 9:17am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Didn't we lose to Exeter and then they got Man U in the FA Cup a few years back? That effectively changed their club fortunes. Lots of small moments of "what if"as well.

No, I don't think John Fenty has got everything right; he's learnt a lot over the years about the running of a club in both good and bad situations.

There are always new mistakes to make. As to the benign loan thing, I'm sure he feels that's right in his eyes. Similarly with managerial appointments - we've all had high hopes in those respects.

I am happy to criticise or applaud his decisions, but him as a person? No. Him as a fan? Definitely not.

A Euromillions win? Yes, I would put some of a 100 million plus win into the club. Would I want to run it? God no. Perhaps giving the Trust/ other newly created fans body the money to buy out whomever is in charge, and then ducking away from the parapet would be the way to go..

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 113
scrumble
September 20, 2017, 10:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from mariner91

He was on 10K a week. As if Fenty thought he could swan into the club and make off with a load of the ITV digital money

IIRC Huxford was chairman at the time, and effectively spent the following years ITVD money that season in some grand plan to get us promoted, and to be fair 5 games in it seemed it might happen. Fenty didn't put his millions into the club until after ITV went mammaries up, when it was used to plug the £2m deficit in the wages budget and the HMRC bill. There was no ITV digital money for him to swan off with.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
September 20, 2017, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
This thread pretty much sums up why I can't be bothered spending much time on here after 8 years of regular posting.  Strangely, it was a better place when we were in non league because maybe whatever the differences, we could unite around a common goal.  If we become established as a L2, despite that being what everyone wanted, that unity dissolves into dissatisfaction that we aren't in the champions league.  If you want s club backed by a sugar daddy with no interest in the club and its heritage, there are plenty around.  There's also plenty of examples of clubs who got relegated out of the league and gone to oblivion.  

I've followed Town for 40 years and there been periods where we have done amazingly well but being realistic, I'd say we are doing ok right now and we will probably have our best season since we had that guy with the cap as manager ... no what was his name?

Final post on this thread.  Possibly final post on the Fishy.  Enjoy your bickering.

It is not bickering, its discussion about the Mariners and all aspects of the club.

Now we are back in the league, we need to discuss the future, and the man who has a stranglehold (for good or bad) on the club is an integral part of that.

What is the point of a forum if everybody just accepts our lot? There was too much of that which led to our relegation out of the football league altogether. You have to go forward in football; there is no status quo and you are either a club moving forwards or sliding down. I think Mr. Fenty did well in appointing Slade, but the club as a whole needs to be invigorated. I keep mentioning the new stadium and that being the catalyst for a better future but what is the latest news on it?

I also know that anything I write won't have effect whatsoever on the clubs fortunes, and I completely separate what I might write here and my support for the club in general and particularly on match days. I suppose it is like a marriage - you have many ups and downs and get fed up from time to time and have a heated debate but you still love it all.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 113
Les Brechin
September 20, 2017, 11:01am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mike_d
Didn't we lose to Exeter and then they got Man U in the FA Cup a few years back? That effectively changed their club fortunes. Lots of small moments of "what if"as well.

That was in the 2004/05 season. They didn't draw Man Utd straight after beating us but they beat Doncaster at home in the 2nd round first before drawing Man Utd in the 3rd round,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 113
louth_in_the_south
September 20, 2017, 11:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
What did the Romans say ? Divide and conquer?

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 113
louth_in_the_south
September 20, 2017, 11:33am

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
Is this Julius Fentimus plan for the fishy ?

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 113
Mrs Doyle
September 20, 2017, 6:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mike_d

No, I don't think John Fenty has got everything right; he's learnt a lot over the years about the running of a club in both good and bad situations.

There are always new mistakes to make. As to the benign loan thing, I'm sure he feels that's right in his eyes. Similarly with managerial appointments - we've all had high hopes in those respects.

I am happy to criticise or applaud his decisions, but him as a person? No. Him as a fan? Definitely not.

A Euromillions win? Yes, I would put some of a 100 million plus win into the club. Would I want to run it? God no. Perhaps giving the Trust/ other newly created fans body the money to buy out whomever is in charge, and then ducking away from the parapet would be the way to go..

Big difference there is Fenty's money is what he as achieved through his business acumen not a massive instant wind fall.

One hundred million is a unbelievable sum and yes in such circumstance a couple of million would not be missed.

The mullins did not win anything like that and yet still put a large donation in the club but I would not see it as a investment looking to make profit on it.

I see it more as a status thing extending the chairman's ego but with that comes a lot of flak and publicity not many manage to keep their credit and respect like the late Jack Walker did.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 20, 2017, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mike_d

Wow... if a post defined a thread this is it.

- Just because we lost to Exeter it does not mean to say we would have drawn Man U
- How did their cup run transform their fortunes? They are doing well this season but I don't recall they've smashed it ever
- Do you know him personally? So if not how can you judge him "as a person"  
- He must be a fan as "investing" in GTFC in the last decade is like betting on a 3 legged horse
- You have no quantifiable chance of winning the Euro Millions so your point about that is irrelevant
- Are you rally saying you would give millions to enthusiastic armatures to run the club/a business? What could they do differently to a business experienced savvy board who in reality at this stage aren't looking to take anything out of the club.?

On top of this see the point Mrs Doyle made above, spot on for me!

I don't live in the Town anymore but go back for games and family visits, people away from the area think Grimsby is a bit backward and crummy if they read this thread I am sure they would have a smile on their faces.I don't like censored/deleted threads but all this one does is allow people to grin axes that aren't based on fact.  

Funny, the feeling was very different a few weeks ago when he gave Dis a benefit game, maybe worth looking back on that thread?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2017, 9:02pm
Meths Drinker
Think you need to read Mike's post again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 113
friskneymariner
September 20, 2017, 9:20pm

Champagne Drinker
These enthusiastic armatures would be all spin.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 113
ginnywings
September 20, 2017, 9:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic

That's a wind up. (The electricians will get that)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 113
friskneymariner
September 20, 2017, 9:47pm

Champagne Drinker
They would only take us round in circles.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2017, 10:07pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Fenti Fishi Fisti

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 113
Ahh Sole
September 20, 2017, 10:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Fenti Fishi Fisti

Must be a safeguarding offence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 113
ginnywings
September 20, 2017, 10:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Ahh Sole

Must be a safeguarding offence?

Depends on the recipient.

Welcome by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 113
Marinerz93
September 20, 2017, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

That's a wind up. (The electricians will get that)

I'm not getting wound up about it as I'm a prime mover and my moves are current  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 113
Marinerz93
September 20, 2017, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I seem drawn to this post almost magnetised.

Private Message
Reply: 97 - 113
Southwark Mariner
September 20, 2017, 10:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

"My Name is Ioannes Sheltonius Fentii, Non-Chairman to a League Two Club, Consentis for Humberstonia and Novus Walthum, Loyal servant to the true Emperor, Ioannes Antonius Harveii. Founder of Quinque Stella Pisces, Director (resigned) of ToppusConnus Constructus, And I will have my new stadium, in this league or the next".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 113
mike_d
September 20, 2017, 10:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Wow... if a post defined a thread this is it.

Why thank you.

Quoted Text

- Just because we lost to Exeter it does not mean to say we would have drawn Man U
- How did their cup run transform their fortunes? They are doing well this season but I don't recall they've smashed it ever

OK - quoting from the Wikipedia history, which I would not recommend to anybody writing a reasonable article, but in this case is a reasonable precis of the events:

In 2004, a Creditors Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) was put in place to reduce the club's debts. Through the club's "Red or Dead" scheme, hundreds of fans pledged at least £500 each to fund the CVA repayments, but the FA Cup proved to be the income boost the Grecians had needed, as City was drawn Manchester United away in the third round of the FA Cup. City drew 0–0 at Old Trafford in January 2005,[26] gaining £653,511 as City's share of receipts from the 67511 attendance. Further income from a televised replay—won 2–0 by United[27]—coupled with ongoing fund-raising and unpaid work from the club's supporters helped the club to repay its debts, and the CVA was cleared in December 2005.[28]

If that's not changing their fortunes, I'm not sure what is.

Quoted Text

- Do you know him personally? So if not how can you judge him "as a person"  
- He must be a fan as "investing" in GTFC in the last decade is like betting on a 3 legged horse

It's very easy to judge people without knowing them personally; you're judging me in a way. I've chatted with John on the train a couple of times, but make no claim to know him. Do you honestly say you've never made judgements about someone without knowing them? Isn't that the entire nature of people's perceptions, prejudices and opinions?
Having read the thread and previous comments, I'm referring to the differing opinions offered here, and the fact that people are discussing personal attacks about John Fenty.

Quoted Text

- You have no quantifiable chance of winning the Euro Millions so your point about that is irrelevant
- Are you rally saying you would give millions to enthusiastic armatures to run the club/a business? What could they do differently to a business experienced savvy board who in reality at this stage aren't looking to take anything out of the club.?

I know, but who hasn't thought about what they'd do with such a win? And yes, given the fact that the model for fan ownership of clubs in the Bundesliga is being put forward as a laudable approach, then either the Trust (and don't forget to read my post this time)  other newly created fans body  with no comment on their professional capabilities or status (it doesn't have to be enthusiastic amateurs) might be a viable recipient of the money.

Quoted Text

On top of this see the point Mrs Doyle made above, spot on for me!

I agree -the ability to put the money in with no effect on my own personal status would be a lovely and enviable position to be in. That makes what John Fenty has done all the more admirable. And yes, I can understand him wanting a little kudos for doing so (think Mazlow's hierachical needs and look at the top of the pyramid to see it's perfectly understandable), but for me in that situation I think being able occasionally to go into the club would be enough. After all, with the rest of the millions to spend on things I love to do more, I'd not want the day to day running of a club to deal with.

Quoted Text

I don't live in the Town anymore but go back for games and family visits, people away from the area think Grimsby is a bit backward and crummy if they read this thread I am sure they would have a smile on their faces.I don't like censored/deleted threads but all this one does is allow people to grin axes that aren't based on fact.  

Not sure which axe I was grinning at - I was postulating a hypothesis and even said "what if"s often can change things remarkably. I also left the area, go back sometimes. I appreciate being able to converse, sometimes eloquently, sometimes not, with others on this board who share a passion for something in common. Not sure what relevance that has on my post, but thanks for your opinions in return. That also defines this board, and hopefully this thread.

Quoted Text

Funny, the feeling was very different a few weeks ago when he gave Dis a benefit game, maybe worth looking back on that thread?

I felt similar then - there's not a great amount in my post which would be different, including the (un)likelihood of my winning the EuroMillions and my belief that John Fenty has acted in what he felt was best. I have to say that sticking my head back behind the castle parapets is more likely now, but again, being able to espouce a differing opinion is again a wonderful thing to do every now and again. All with no personal attacks and hopefully the chance at some point to continue the conversation over a beer or two.

I hope this clarified my opinons further, and look forward to the continuing debate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 113
mike_d
September 20, 2017, 10:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

"My Name is Ioannes Sheltonius Fentii, Non-Chairman to a League Two Club, Consentis for Humberstonia and Novus Walthum, Loyal servant to the true Emperor, Ioannes Antonius Harveii. Founder of Quinque Stella Pisces, Director (resigned) of ToppusConnus Constructus, And I will have my new stadium, in this league or the next".

Yes, but given all of that, what has this Roman ever done for us?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 21, 2017, 7:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mike_d

Why thank you.

OK - quoting from the Wikipedia history, which I would not recommend to anybody writing a reasonable article, but in this case is a reasonable precis of the events:

In 2004, a Creditors Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) was put in place to reduce the club's debts. Through the club's "Red or Dead" scheme, hundreds of fans pledged at least £500 each to fund the CVA repayments, but the FA Cup proved to be the income boost the Grecians had needed, as City was drawn Manchester United away in the third round of the FA Cup. City drew 0–0 at Old Trafford in January 2005,[26] gaining £653,511 as City's share of receipts from the 67511 attendance. Further income from a televised replay—won 2–0 by United[27]—coupled with ongoing fund-raising and unpaid work from the club's supporters helped the club to repay its debts, and the CVA was cleared in December 2005.[28]

If that's not changing their fortunes, I'm not sure what is.

It's very easy to judge people without knowing them personally; you're judging me in a way. I've chatted with John on the train a couple of times, but make no claim to know him. Do you honestly say you've never made judgements about someone without knowing them? Isn't that the entire nature of people's perceptions, prejudices and opinions?
Having read the thread and previous comments, I'm referring to the differing opinions offered here, and the fact that people are discussing personal attacks about John Fenty.

I know, but who hasn't thought about what they'd do with such a win? And yes, given the fact that the model for fan ownership of clubs in the Bundesliga is being put forward as a laudable approach, then either the Trust (and don't forget to read my post this time)  other newly created fans body  with no comment on their professional capabilities or status (it doesn't have to be enthusiastic amateurs) might be a viable recipient of the money.

I agree -the ability to put the money in with no effect on my own personal status would be a lovely and enviable position to be in. That makes what John Fenty has done all the more admirable. And yes, I can understand him wanting a little kudos for doing so (think Mazlow's hierachical needs and look at the top of the pyramid to see it's perfectly understandable), but for me in that situation I think being able occasionally to go into the club would be enough. After all, with the rest of the millions to spend on things I love to do more, I'd not want the day to day running of a club to deal with.

Not sure which axe I was grinning at - I was postulating a hypothesis and even said "what if"s often can change things remarkably. I also left the area, go back sometimes. I appreciate being able to converse, sometimes eloquently, sometimes not, with others on this board who share a passion for something in common. Not sure what relevance that has on my post, but thanks for your opinions in return. That also defines this board, and hopefully this thread.

I felt similar then - there's not a great amount in my post which would be different, including the (un)likelihood of my winning the EuroMillions and my belief that John Fenty has acted in what he felt was best. I have to say that sticking my head back behind the castle parapets is more likely now, but again, being able to espouce a differing opinion is again a wonderful thing to do every now and again. All with no personal attacks and hopefully the chance at some point to continue the conversation over a beer or two.

I hope this clarified my opinons further, and look forward to the continuing debate.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 113
Garth
September 21, 2017, 2:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Makes being sad more bloody comfortable though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 113
sonik
September 22, 2017, 12:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I never saw the thread but it sounds out of order? The thing is with the Fenty`s like most families blood is thicker than water so when John comes under attack it`s only natural his family feel the need to defend him no matter the circumstances. I witnessed first hand when the Parker shares got handed over by the Trust how the Fenty`s closed ranks in a manner to get the job done it wasn`t pretty but damned effective anyone says this never happened is a liar.

My brother John has just asked me if I or any of my other brothers had any involvement in what you are implying regarding the above. Please lets make it clear that none of us were present at any of the meetings that took place and what was ultimately decided between the Chief Executive and the Trust board. How did you witness this?  I can assure you I'm not lying either!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 113
Civvy at last
September 22, 2017, 1:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from sonik

[/b]

My brother John has just asked me if I or any of my other brothers had any involvement in what you are implying regarding the above. Please lets make it clear that none of us were present at any of the meetings that took place and what was ultimately decided between the Chief Executive and the Trust board. How did you witness this?  I can assure you I'm not lying either!

Are you saying that there was no pressure from your brother to obtain the shares from the trust ???

I have deliberately stayed off this thread because quite frankly it's getting boring and going round in circles. If you want to ask questions etc on Johns behalf that's fine.  But be prepared to answer questions on Johns behalf as well.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 113
FishOutOfWater
September 22, 2017, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37

It is not bickering, its discussion about the Mariners and all aspects of the club.

Now we are back in the league, we need to discuss the future, and the man who has a stranglehold (for good or bad) on the club is an integral part of that.

What is the point of a forum if everybody just accepts our lot? There was too much of that which led to our relegation out of the football league altogether. You have to go forward in football; there is no status quo and you are either a club moving forwards or sliding down. I think Mr. Fenty did well in appointing Slade, but the club as a whole needs to be invigorated. I keep mentioning the new stadium and that being the catalyst for a better future but what is the latest news on it?

I also know that anything I write won't have effect whatsoever on the clubs fortunes, and I completely separate what I might write here and my support for the club in general and particularly on match days. I suppose it is like a marriage - you have many ups and downs and get fed up from time to time and have a heated debate but you still love it all

Except 50% of marriages end in divorce and the rest always come to a natural end sooner or later - 'til death do us part etc.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 113
sonik
September 22, 2017, 1:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

Are you saying that there was no pressure from your brother to obtain the shares from the trust ???

I have deliberately stayed off this thread because quite frankly it's getting boring and going round in circles. If you want to ask questions etc on Johns behalf that's fine.  But be prepared to answer questions on Johns behalf as well.

Yes.

Private Message
Reply: 106 - 113
Civvy at last
September 22, 2017, 3:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from sonik

Yes.

In which case there is no point in continuing any kind of conversation with you or members of your family.
I have voted with my feet already this season and will be doing so again on Tuesday.  Your answer shows me the disdain that you show to the fans.  We are not stupid. Even if you and John may think so.

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 113
sonik
September 22, 2017, 3:30pm

Cocktail Drinker

In which case there is no point in continuing any kind of conversation with you or members of your family.
I have voted with my feet already this season and will be doing so again on Tuesday.  Your answer shows me the disdain that you show to the fans.  We are not stupid. Even if you and John may think so.

You asked me question of which I answered. What more could I say? I do not show disdain to the fans far from it. I think we have a great bunch of fans of which I am one nor do I think you or the fans are stupid.

UTM!

Private Message
Reply: 108 - 113
Ahh Sole
September 22, 2017, 4:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
This is what is so wrong with our club - which other major shareholder sends his family onto an independent forum to berate the fans?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 113
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2017, 4:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sonik

You asked me question of which I answered. What more could I say? I do not show disdain to the fans far from it. I think we have a great bunch of fans of which I am one nor do I think you or the fans are stupid.

UTM!

Don't you think it's funny how no interviews in the telegraph, official club statements or blogs containing qoutes from the administration at the club in the build up to the share handover can be found on the internet?

Every link I click on no longer exists.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2017, 7:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sonik

UTM!

Are you a director too? - If not do you pay for your tickets?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 113
Marinerz93
September 22, 2017, 10:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Quoted from sonik

Yes.

So you are saying that John didn't tell the trust he would sell Hearn, and that he wouldn't put anymore money in the club unless he had control, as control at that time lay outside the boardroom.

Private Message
Reply: 112 - 113
Cloudy
September 23, 2017, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from sonik

Yes.

Oh dear!
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 113
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Purpose of The Fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.