12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
September 20, 2017, 9:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
These enthusiastic armatures would be all spin.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 113
ginnywings
September 20, 2017, 9:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from friskneymariner

That's a wind up. (The electricians will get that)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 113
friskneymariner
September 20, 2017, 9:47pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
They would only take us round in circles.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2017, 10:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Is this Julius Fentimus plan for the fishy ?

Fenti Fishi Fisti

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 113
Ahh Sole
September 20, 2017, 10:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Fenti Fishi Fisti

Must be a safeguarding offence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 113
ginnywings
September 20, 2017, 10:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Ahh Sole

Must be a safeguarding offence?

Depends on the recipient.

Welcome by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 113
Marinerz93
September 20, 2017, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

That's a wind up. (The electricians will get that)

I'm not getting wound up about it as I'm a prime mover and my moves are current  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 113
Marinerz93
September 20, 2017, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from friskneymariner

I seem drawn to this post almost magnetised.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 113
Southwark Mariner
September 20, 2017, 10:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Is this Julius Fentimus plan for the fishy ?

"My Name is Ioannes Sheltonius Fentii, Non-Chairman to a League Two Club, Consentis for Humberstonia and Novus Walthum, Loyal servant to the true Emperor, Ioannes Antonius Harveii. Founder of Quinque Stella Pisces, Director (resigned) of ToppusConnus Constructus, And I will have my new stadium, in this league or the next".
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 113
mike_d
September 20, 2017, 10:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Wow... if a post defined a thread this is it.

Why thank you.

Quoted Text

- Just because we lost to Exeter it does not mean to say we would have drawn Man U
- How did their cup run transform their fortunes? They are doing well this season but I don't recall they've smashed it ever

OK - quoting from the Wikipedia history, which I would not recommend to anybody writing a reasonable article, but in this case is a reasonable precis of the events:

In 2004, a Creditors Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) was put in place to reduce the club's debts. Through the club's "Red or Dead" scheme, hundreds of fans pledged at least £500 each to fund the CVA repayments, but the FA Cup proved to be the income boost the Grecians had needed, as City was drawn Manchester United away in the third round of the FA Cup. City drew 0–0 at Old Trafford in January 2005,[26] gaining £653,511 as City's share of receipts from the 67511 attendance. Further income from a televised replay—won 2–0 by United[27]—coupled with ongoing fund-raising and unpaid work from the club's supporters helped the club to repay its debts, and the CVA was cleared in December 2005.[28]

If that's not changing their fortunes, I'm not sure what is.

Quoted Text

- Do you know him personally? So if not how can you judge him "as a person"  
- He must be a fan as "investing" in GTFC in the last decade is like betting on a 3 legged horse

It's very easy to judge people without knowing them personally; you're judging me in a way. I've chatted with John on the train a couple of times, but make no claim to know him. Do you honestly say you've never made judgements about someone without knowing them? Isn't that the entire nature of people's perceptions, prejudices and opinions?
Having read the thread and previous comments, I'm referring to the differing opinions offered here, and the fact that people are discussing personal attacks about John Fenty.

Quoted Text

- You have no quantifiable chance of winning the Euro Millions so your point about that is irrelevant
- Are you rally saying you would give millions to enthusiastic armatures to run the club/a business? What could they do differently to a business experienced savvy board who in reality at this stage aren't looking to take anything out of the club.?

I know, but who hasn't thought about what they'd do with such a win? And yes, given the fact that the model for fan ownership of clubs in the Bundesliga is being put forward as a laudable approach, then either the Trust (and don't forget to read my post this time)  other newly created fans body  with no comment on their professional capabilities or status (it doesn't have to be enthusiastic amateurs) might be a viable recipient of the money.

Quoted Text

On top of this see the point Mrs Doyle made above, spot on for me!

I agree -the ability to put the money in with no effect on my own personal status would be a lovely and enviable position to be in. That makes what John Fenty has done all the more admirable. And yes, I can understand him wanting a little kudos for doing so (think Mazlow's hierachical needs and look at the top of the pyramid to see it's perfectly understandable), but for me in that situation I think being able occasionally to go into the club would be enough. After all, with the rest of the millions to spend on things I love to do more, I'd not want the day to day running of a club to deal with.

Quoted Text

I don't live in the Town anymore but go back for games and family visits, people away from the area think Grimsby is a bit backward and crummy if they read this thread I am sure they would have a smile on their faces.I don't like censored/deleted threads but all this one does is allow people to grin axes that aren't based on fact.  

Not sure which axe I was grinning at - I was postulating a hypothesis and even said "what if"s often can change things remarkably. I also left the area, go back sometimes. I appreciate being able to converse, sometimes eloquently, sometimes not, with others on this board who share a passion for something in common. Not sure what relevance that has on my post, but thanks for your opinions in return. That also defines this board, and hopefully this thread.

Quoted Text

Funny, the feeling was very different a few weeks ago when he gave Dis a benefit game, maybe worth looking back on that thread?

I felt similar then - there's not a great amount in my post which would be different, including the (un)likelihood of my winning the EuroMillions and my belief that John Fenty has acted in what he felt was best. I have to say that sticking my head back behind the castle parapets is more likely now, but again, being able to espouce a differing opinion is again a wonderful thing to do every now and again. All with no personal attacks and hopefully the chance at some point to continue the conversation over a beer or two.

I hope this clarified my opinons further, and look forward to the continuing debate.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Purpose of The Fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.