12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 20, 2017, 8:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,373
Gold Stars: 183
Anybody who thinks there is money to be made from GTFC is sadly deluded and I don't think Fenty is anything like that daft.

You've always had chancers getting involved with clubs for nefarious ends but only at those clubs whose ground are built on land that has some value. Not something relevant to GTFC.

I'm sure he wanted to help the club when he got on board, but that's something which has proved beyond his abilities. Running a successful fish business is obviously pretty different to running a successful club. Too many variables to pin down and I often wonder how much luck is involved in achieving success at smaller clubs like ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 113
mike_d
September 20, 2017, 9:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
Didn't we lose to Exeter and then they got Man U in the FA Cup a few years back? That effectively changed their club fortunes. Lots of small moments of "what if"as well.

No, I don't think John Fenty has got everything right; he's learnt a lot over the years about the running of a club in both good and bad situations.

There are always new mistakes to make. As to the benign loan thing, I'm sure he feels that's right in his eyes. Similarly with managerial appointments - we've all had high hopes in those respects.

I am happy to criticise or applaud his decisions, but him as a person? No. Him as a fan? Definitely not.

A Euromillions win? Yes, I would put some of a 100 million plus win into the club. Would I want to run it? God no. Perhaps giving the Trust/ other newly created fans body the money to buy out whomever is in charge, and then ducking away from the parapet would be the way to go..

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 113
scrumble
September 20, 2017, 10:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from mariner91

He was on 10K a week. As if Fenty thought he could swan into the club and make off with a load of the ITV digital money

IIRC Huxford was chairman at the time, and effectively spent the following years ITVD money that season in some grand plan to get us promoted, and to be fair 5 games in it seemed it might happen. Fenty didn't put his millions into the club until after ITV went mammaries up, when it was used to plug the £2m deficit in the wages budget and the HMRC bill. There was no ITV digital money for him to swan off with.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
September 20, 2017, 10:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,650
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from LondonMariner43
This thread pretty much sums up why I can't be bothered spending much time on here after 8 years of regular posting.  Strangely, it was a better place when we were in non league because maybe whatever the differences, we could unite around a common goal.  If we become established as a L2, despite that being what everyone wanted, that unity dissolves into dissatisfaction that we aren't in the champions league.  If you want s club backed by a sugar daddy with no interest in the club and its heritage, there are plenty around.  There's also plenty of examples of clubs who got relegated out of the league and gone to oblivion.  

I've followed Town for 40 years and there been periods where we have done amazingly well but being realistic, I'd say we are doing ok right now and we will probably have our best season since we had that guy with the cap as manager ... no what was his name?

Final post on this thread.  Possibly final post on the Fishy.  Enjoy your bickering.

It is not bickering, its discussion about the Mariners and all aspects of the club.

Now we are back in the league, we need to discuss the future, and the man who has a stranglehold (for good or bad) on the club is an integral part of that.

What is the point of a forum if everybody just accepts our lot? There was too much of that which led to our relegation out of the football league altogether. You have to go forward in football; there is no status quo and you are either a club moving forwards or sliding down. I think Mr. Fenty did well in appointing Slade, but the club as a whole needs to be invigorated. I keep mentioning the new stadium and that being the catalyst for a better future but what is the latest news on it?

I also know that anything I write won't have effect whatsoever on the clubs fortunes, and I completely separate what I might write here and my support for the club in general and particularly on match days. I suppose it is like a marriage - you have many ups and downs and get fed up from time to time and have a heated debate but you still love it all.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 113
Les Brechin
September 20, 2017, 11:01am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mike_d
Didn't we lose to Exeter and then they got Man U in the FA Cup a few years back? That effectively changed their club fortunes. Lots of small moments of "what if"as well.

That was in the 2004/05 season. They didn't draw Man Utd straight after beating us but they beat Doncaster at home in the 2nd round first before drawing Man Utd in the 3rd round,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 113
louth_in_the_south
September 20, 2017, 11:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,638
Gold Stars: 94
What did the Romans say ? Divide and conquer?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 113
louth_in_the_south
September 20, 2017, 11:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,638
Gold Stars: 94
Is this Julius Fentimus plan for the fishy ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 113
Mrs Doyle
September 20, 2017, 6:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from mike_d

No, I don't think John Fenty has got everything right; he's learnt a lot over the years about the running of a club in both good and bad situations.

There are always new mistakes to make. As to the benign loan thing, I'm sure he feels that's right in his eyes. Similarly with managerial appointments - we've all had high hopes in those respects.

I am happy to criticise or applaud his decisions, but him as a person? No. Him as a fan? Definitely not.

A Euromillions win? Yes, I would put some of a 100 million plus win into the club. Would I want to run it? God no. Perhaps giving the Trust/ other newly created fans body the money to buy out whomever is in charge, and then ducking away from the parapet would be the way to go..

Big difference there is Fenty's money is what he as achieved through his business acumen not a massive instant wind fall.

One hundred million is a unbelievable sum and yes in such circumstance a couple of million would not be missed.

The mullins did not win anything like that and yet still put a large donation in the club but I would not see it as a investment looking to make profit on it.

I see it more as a status thing extending the chairman's ego but with that comes a lot of flak and publicity not many manage to keep their credit and respect like the late Jack Walker did.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 113
HertsGTFC
September 20, 2017, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,889
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from mike_d

Wow... if a post defined a thread this is it.

- Just because we lost to Exeter it does not mean to say we would have drawn Man U
- How did their cup run transform their fortunes? They are doing well this season but I don't recall they've smashed it ever
- Do you know him personally? So if not how can you judge him "as a person"  
- He must be a fan as "investing" in GTFC in the last decade is like betting on a 3 legged horse
- You have no quantifiable chance of winning the Euro Millions so your point about that is irrelevant
- Are you rally saying you would give millions to enthusiastic armatures to run the club/a business? What could they do differently to a business experienced savvy board who in reality at this stage aren't looking to take anything out of the club.?

On top of this see the point Mrs Doyle made above, spot on for me!

I don't live in the Town anymore but go back for games and family visits, people away from the area think Grimsby is a bit backward and crummy if they read this thread I am sure they would have a smile on their faces.I don't like censored/deleted threads but all this one does is allow people to grin axes that aren't based on fact.  

Funny, the feeling was very different a few weeks ago when he gave Dis a benefit game, maybe worth looking back on that thread?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 113
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2017, 9:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Think you need to read Mike's post again.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Purpose of The Fishy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.