This thread currently has 10,156 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
September 16, 2017, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Certainly deserved the points against a very poor Yeovil side. We huffed and puffed but also played well in patches.

Defence was largely sound and despite an air kick in the build up to their goal Summerfield did plenty of good old things. Dembele is perhaps trying too hard and not influencing the game enough.

As others have said Woolford is class despite not charging around like a bull in a china shop that some in the Upper seem to demand.

Howler from their keeper for the first and a quality cross from Dixon for Clarke to head across for Vernon to head home.

A bit panicky at the end but deserved the points for the 3rd win in 4 games
Private Message
ginnywings
September 16, 2017, 5:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Well, we are not scintillating to watch and don't look like we will tear a team apart any time soon, but three wins in four is most welcome and we are starting to see a settled side more or less.

We still have a vulnerability about us and let teams score goals without having to work too hard to get them. A poor pass in midfield put us on the back foot and the ball ends up in our net. We also let them have a free shot at goal straight after we went into the lead for the second time. Slade was going mental on the sidelines.

I think at the moment, we look like a side who won't struggle at the bottom, but won't trouble the top end unless we get a bit more ruthless at both ends of the pitch. Can't see why we  won't improve though over the season, so cause for optimism. Certainly more optimism than there was this time last Saturday. Summerfield was getting loads of abuse from where i was sat and people couldn't wait for him to make the slightest mistake, but i thought he had a decent game. The same guys who were moaning almost went into meltdown when Vernon came on and got some much needed abuse back when he scored, which shut them up finally. Support the team you tossers.

Woolford was the best player for me and looks a very good signing. Yeovil weren't up to much but we still made hard work of beating them, but beat them we did and three points is three points. Feeling a bit more relaxed about things now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
Hagrid
September 16, 2017, 5:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Agree with that, dembele im finding frustrating as there seems to be very little end product but he is only 20 and so plenty of time to work on that, macca had nothing at all to do against a very poor side, summerfield did well for me, his error for the goal but lots of good forward play hustling and bustling about but as said MOM woolford for me, very impressed. matt up front is a menace and a pest but great sub from slade with Vernon scoring inside 5 mins. Not the finished article by a long way and i still feel we may need a bit more to challenge in the upper areas of the league but 3 wins out of 4 is not to be sniffed at and its good to see a lot happier atmosphere on here and at BP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
Hagrid
September 16, 2017, 5:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Would just also like to add the abuse summerfield got from around me completely out of order. If it was 1 bad pass in 10 it was straight on his back and " get him off flipping excrement" all game long until the old man told them to get the eff off his back. Im only 22 and i dont know if this a new thing, but there always seems to be a scapegoat at GTFC. Its a real downside of our fanbase
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
ginnywings
September 16, 2017, 5:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I'm inclined to think that it was a poor ball to Summerfield which forced him into the mistake in the first place. Seemed to wrong foot him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
heppy88
September 16, 2017, 5:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
Enjoyed that. Town the deserved winners and played some good football at times. Created some good chances.
Woolford my man of the match.
Never seen so much shirt pulling that went un punished. There appears to be a definate bias by officials against Town. Slade was going crazy at the ref and third official on the touchline.
Dont know why Town appear to invite pressure for the final 10 minutes. Against a better side I'm sure we would have been punished.
Three wins from four, things are looking more positive. UTMM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
Maringer
September 16, 2017, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Their goal came from a wayward pass from Woolford. Summerfield might have missed it, but that's because he was stretching for the ball and was caught on the hop by Woolford's error.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
MarinerBen
September 16, 2017, 5:41pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
I always think that Summerfield puts his head in places that require some serious cojones!

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 50
LH
September 16, 2017, 5:54pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
A good win from a frustrating, conferencey game to put on the board. We were never going to lose that game if we scored first and I agree with Ginny that it was more of a bad pass to Sunmerfield than a bad touch or whatever. I won't over-analyse the game too much because it is what it is and I hope we can do that more often as this sort of game has cost us in the past.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
headingly_mariner
September 16, 2017, 5:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Not pretty but a well deserved win. MOM a toss up between Berrett and the impressive Woolford.

If you're one of the few that booed Vernon on you're a total girl private
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
Skrill
September 16, 2017, 6:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Contrary to what some people have said, I absolutely enjoyed that game. Town started very brightly for the first 15 minutes, and we deserved to be in front with a Collins header. Woolford almost scored with a clever shot that was saved, and Clark almost scored a header at the end of the first halve. However the lack of pace in the back caught us out, when Summerfield miss-controlled a ball that led to their un-deserved equaliser. Must say Yeovil were not a relegation team in my opinion.

Second half was a barrel of laughs. From Summerfields hilarious long-ball that stayed in the air for what seemed like 15 seconds because of the wind. Summerfield did play well though, made some good tackles and long-balls, just his lack of his consistency lets him down. Yeovil's keeper who was hopeless at goal-kicks (wind partly to blame), and dembele's amazing, absolutely amazing trickery, but no end product (said previously that his needs to improve his pragmatic decision making, HIT IT FIRST TIME). Matt did well to hold the ball, just needs to improve end product and his first touch at times. Vernon came on and did exactly what Matt did but with end product, and his goal was very well received from the Pontoon.

Thoroughly enjoyed this game, as near the end a Yeovil shot looked as though it was destined to our top right corner, thankfully went near the corner flag..

Super happy, let's get a better attendance than the 3950 faithful, the players deserve better!! (Kelly not so much...)

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
grimsby pete
September 16, 2017, 6:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Not pretty but a well deserved win. MOM a toss up between Berrett and the impressive Woolford.

I can never understand why so called fans boo their own players,

Good 3 points today.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
jamesgtfc
September 16, 2017, 6:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Good game and I thought we were excellent for a 10 minute spell in the second half. Matt gets pulled about but we wins the ball in the air, can control it with his feet/chest and has a bit of pace. Some headers were wayward from him but he wins them and it stops the ball coming straight back at us.

Summerfield and Berrett. I think after that interview with JT we all know Berrett is one of the first names on the teamsheet and he is right. He kept it simple, got the ball moving and started a few attacks with simple passes out wide today. Summerfield got criticism today because he is Luke Summerfield. His mistake that led to the goal was unfortunate but he got stuck in and won the aerial challenges in midfield.

Sam Jones needs to stop putting in rash, unnecessary challenges as that one today could easily have been a red but that aside, he played well and provides a good link between midfield and the strikers.

The late signings of Woolford and Matt bring a much needed balance to our starting 11.  Good header by Vernon for the goal, if only he made that decision last week at Mansfield instead of trying to control it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
newarkmariner
September 16, 2017, 7:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
i really enjoyed that,and now sitting with 2 more points than we had last season after 8 games,just saying like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
LondonMariner43
September 16, 2017, 7:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Just googled for the Sky highlights and the result looked correct but line ups look very retro!!

http://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-vs-yeovil/58260
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
livosnose
September 16, 2017, 7:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Kelly needs loaning out ASAP . Clee Town perhaps

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
Tommy
September 16, 2017, 7:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Not a bad game.

Started the better side and even though the ball probably spent more time out of play than it did in play in the first half hour, we were having the better of it.

Thought we were quite direct in the first half - always a worry that players can take the easy option and hit the target man when you have someone like Matt in the team. But, we did look half decent the few times we got it down and played it on the floor. One good passage of play leading to Woolford having a shot from 25 yards that the keeper parried.

Got a deserved lead and then conceded to a well-taken strike from their goalscorer. I've seen Summerfield taking the blame for it for his "mis-kick" but for me the ball to him was a poor one played at pace and he just couldn't adjust to connect in time. Certainly not a direct cause of the goal as it happened on the half way line.

Second half I think we played a bit more football. Early in the half we had a good 5-minute spell were we had them pinned back on the edge of their own box as we poured forward and put balls in the box. Had to wait a bit for the eventual winner but that was all it was going to need unless we shot ourselves in the foot, as Yeovil really offered nothing.

I thought when Vernon came on that I would've left Matt on a bit longer and maybe brought Cardwell on for Jones at the time. But Matt was probably starting to tire in fairness. And turned out to be a good sub with Vernon getting the winner after a great header across from Clarke.

Saw the game out fairly comfortably despite Yeovil having a spell for the last 5 minutes when we either didn't clear our lines well enough and at other times didn't keep the ball when we had chances to keep possession.

Individual wise -

James Berrett. I've been critical of him in the past. Never thought he was a poor player, just that he doesn't impact games and is never in the right place at the right time when we don't have the ball. But today he bossed central midfield. Out of possession he was tenacious, won tackles and competed well. In possession he moved it well, was more decisive than usual and didn't take too many touches when it wasnt necessary.

Alongside him Summerfield was good too with a solid 7/10 performance. A couple of hacked volleys 2nd half that went high and nowhere, but he switched play very well plenty of times, got it wide and played off one-touch a lot to find a black & white shirt. Also made plenty of vital interceptions in our defensive third. Still a lot of people in the stands get on his case at the slightest mistake but don't recognise the positives.

Woolford. We've got a very clever player here haven't we. Uses the ball very well. Doesn't just put the ball into areas, he plays it to a team mate. Happy to play off both feet, good touch and gets into good positions. Near the end of the first half he took a Ben Davies cross down with one exquisite touch before firing goalwards which the keeper saved. Not a winger who'll race up and down the touchline but hes got a football brain which I like. Dare I say a Buckley type winger.

Collins and Clarke good. Both had involvement with goals and Clarke possibly should have scored himself 1st half when he headed wide.

Matt's a real handful and will create space for others. Happy to see Jones up top again but didn't see his booking.

MOM for me was between Berrett and Woolford.

UTM

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Mariner_09
September 16, 2017, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Berrett was our best player by some distance for me. Woolford was definitely up there but he faded in the 2nd half, he seems to have helped Dixon who looks far more comfortable with Woolford in front of him who is so much better than Kelly in every respect.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
moosey_club
September 16, 2017, 7:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
first half a poor spectacle with both sides wasteful...
second half we came out more determined and pressed higher...berrett and summerfield noticeably 10-20 yds further forward which helped....pleased for Vernon as no matter how poor he was at Mansfield he shouldnt be booed on.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
Mariner_09
September 16, 2017, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
Abdul19
September 16, 2017, 8:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Just googled for the Sky highlights and the result looked correct but line ups look very retro!!

http://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-vs-yeovil/58260

Late Parkinson wondergoal!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
barralad
September 16, 2017, 8:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Mariner_09

The "pass" to Summerfield in the build up to their goal was awful!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
lukeo
September 16, 2017, 8:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
The pass was poor BUT at the same time he's a professional footballer, anyone who is paid should be able to use both feet. He could have got the ball comfortably with his right foot if i'm really honest and brutal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
chaos33
September 16, 2017, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
He's right.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
lukeo
September 16, 2017, 8:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
I don't go often anymore and i kind of take this forums word for it so when i see we had james and luke in centre mid i feared the worst. I'm very happy about this result and it's nice to see them actually getting more positive than negative feedback. I think after 8 games we are exactly where I expected us to be, won the same amount as we've lost sat in the middle of the table. For me this league is going to be super tight and i think any of around 12 teams could potentially hit those play offs. I think Exeter (as i stated before the season started) will be up there come the end of the season, although they will have a rough patch soon, every team have it... So 12 points from 8 games isn't to bad, 3 wins from 4. See you at Newport hopefully. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 16, 2017, 8:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I didn't go today as I was working, yes the pass wasn't good, but I think LS could have done better, maybe tried his right foot.
However pleased to see him getting good comments, and Slade does seem to be getting the best out of Berrett

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
quebec38
September 16, 2017, 8:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Blaming Summerfield for their goal is harsh so I'm pleased so see some sensible people on here. Let's be honest it was a heck of a finish from Zoko first time from outside the box.
Deserved three points today and well done to the boys for 3 wins out of the last 4. Summerfield really dig in today imo but having said that I'd still bring Rose straight back for Newport.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
arryarryarry
September 16, 2017, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,941
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Have to disagree about Berrett, he is too negative for my liking, or more than one occasion when we  were pressing in that second half he had the chance to pass to the unmarked Dixon but would rather play the ball backwards.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 16, 2017, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,645
Gold Stars: 217
I enjoyed the game and it was quite open for some periods and a actually surprised that there was only 3 goals in the end.  

I thought Town showed a higher degree of application, worked harder with and without the ball, took more care with the ball and tried to use the space in difficult conditions. As we are still finding our way I am not too bothered about being a bit more direct for the time being at least. Thought we could have tested their keeper a bit more but that will come if we build on today and Tuesday.

We started pretty well and maybe should have had a couple as we looked dangerous from set pieces and played some decent balls into the box, in fact I would go as far as to say we even showed some cohesion between Jones, Matt & Woolford. Collins popped up well for the goal and Clarke was unlucky not to make it two.

They took their goal really well and despite what people may think I didn't think you could blame Summerfield or for that matter Woolford for losing possession as it still needed scoring and the finish was very good leaving Macca with no chance. Once they scored we let them into the game a bit but I was never convinced they would get another before the break..I also think swapping Dembelle and Woolford actually breaks and rhythm we have and they should be left on the same wing.

After the break we tried to win the game and deserved the 3 points for that intention and perseverance. I thought it was only a matter of time before we got a 2nd and Clarke and Vernon did well on the set piece to grab the goal. I thought in the last 10 we looked a bit shaky but they did not ultimately have the quality to capitalize.

The players,

Macca - Hard to rate as he did not have too much to do inreality but I did like that he tried to re-start open play quickly when he could.

Davies - Good game in defense and going forward worked hard and doubled up with the wide lads well

Dixon - As above

Clarke - Better today and a threat at set pieces and did well in the air as you would expect.

Collins - See above

Summefield - Not first choice but I thought he came in and played really well today in a holding role, I reckon that might be the best I have seen him play for Town, good work rate wants the ball and I liked the fact he slotted in at CB when Collins carried the ball forward and stayed up at 1 point in the 2nd half.

Berrett - Excellent game and my MOM as he ran the game, worked hard, won the ball well and used it very wisely. Controlled the tempo of the game, I have been a critic of him this term but today was a really complete performance    

Dembelle - Sound like he's getting a bit of criticism but I am not sure why as he's a young lad and just learning  and we need to get him into the game a bit more to be honest. Great attitude I counted half a dozen times when we lost the ball and he won it back. Also worth noting their RB had a really good game against him.

Woolford - Just edged out of MOM by Berrett but only just as he was and could be very influential for Town at this level. Has good skill, vision and works really well with the players around him. I hope he stays fit as this is one "experienced" player I am excited about us signing based on today.

Jones - His all round game and attitude was really good today and he is beginning to have real authority. His game is really developing and he is starting to bring people in as well as find some great passes like the one for the Dembelle run in the 2nd half, looking like a real footballer ATM. Possibly needs to get a bit closer to Matt when we play the ball up to him.

Matt - I like him as he worries the opposition with his size as well as the fact he breathes down the neck of center halves, he did some good stuff today and has presented RS with a selection quandary. Depute Vernon scoring the winner I think Matt should get a run of games especially as we are going a bot more direct.

Subs - Vernon came on and got right into the game and did well for the winner, Kelly and Cardwell not enough game time to measure.      

The ref - Hilarious as was the linesman on the Findus side, well at least they where inconsistent for both sides. .

So overall it felt like a reasonable performance compared to what we have seen so far, still a massive work in progress but for today at least it's good to be ale to say well done to RS and the players.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 16, 2017, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
The pass was poor BUT at the same time he's a professional footballer, anyone who is paid should be able to use both feet. He could have got the ball comfortably with his right foot if i'm really honest and brutal.

And his team mates could have got closer to the lead on their left who supplied the assist for the scorer and we could have go a bit closer to the scorer when he made his run.............Their goal was not down to one player.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
fiveallive
September 16, 2017, 10:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
A very scrappy game, we should have been more comfortable to be honest, set pieces seemed to be planned with their keeper being dodgy, Dembele is starting to frustrate me a lot to be honest doesn't stay wide cuts in and stands there giving Davies or Dixon with no output.

Summerfield played well today thought he was man of the match today, Dixon and Davies played well along with Woolford, Berrett does whip in a decent corner, It wasn't a classic and we panicked late on but at least we got a win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2017, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Really pleased that we won, happy that a run in the team is bringing out the best in James Berrett and some very interesting comments about him post match from Slade.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2017, 10:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[/b]

And his team mates could have got closer to the lead on their left who supplied the assist for the scorer and we could have go a bit closer to the scorer when he made his run.............Their goal was not down to one player.  

Absolutely he was allowed to get into a dangerous area and shield the ball for their scorer to hit a lovely low curling shot Macca had no chance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
sydney
September 16, 2017, 10:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Why Can't we give summer field some  credit when it's due
He was a lot lot better today and he does graft
Not his fault for goal as wayward pass
All players much improved again
Dembele lacks end product but he will get better
Yeovil are one of the poorest sides in the league
Well done today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
Maringer
September 16, 2017, 11:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
The error was mostly Woolford's (no reason for such a wayward pass when under no real pressure) but the goal came from a bit of bad luck as well. One of our defenders (Davies, perhaps?) got his foot into the ball but that just put it into the path of their scorer who finished really well with his first time shot.

Regardless, at least we won a game that we should have done. Too often in recent seasons we've seen us draw or even lose matches with a game balanced like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
Mrs Doyle
September 17, 2017, 8:17am
Whiskey Drinker
I enjoyed the way we dominated most of the game thought we looked pretty solid at the back.

There goal was an lovely finish but the player who made the initial run should have been closed down. Summerfield had the best game I have seen him play.

One tackle in particular stood out when one of there players made a nice run into the box and played a lovely back heel (Tony Rees ) style perfect for the on coming striker. Whilst it caught most out Summerfield was alert to the danger and managed to just get a foot in preventing a certain goal imho.

Also one other point worth noting teams are having to double and even treble up on Matty this is giving our midfield extra space Summerfield in particular looked very comfortable. Matt is a big unit who is also quite quick and alert harassing defenders all good signs.

We are not firing on all cylinders yet but improving and with strength on the bench and bit more sharpness up front not that far off. Jones and in particular Matt are giving defences real problems which again also gives the likes of Dembele extra room to do his stuff.

Desperately want the little maestro to score once he does it will build his undoubted confidence his final ball  and choice isn't quite right yet but I'm sure this is only a matter of time.

His energy is phenomenal and often gets back to make a telling tackle which is great to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 17, 2017, 9:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Would not disagree with the majority of comments on here especially re Summerfield and Berrett, the latter not being one of my favourites, who both very good games and Berrett has improved his contribution since switching to the central role.

Matt causes problems and if he can improve his first touch will be a major assett and a couple of times when given the chance to break away his brain and his legs seemed to lack communication but he is giving us something we have lacked up top. Thought Jones had an indifferent day, but accept thst happens to all players, although still laid on a couple of great chances.

Re Dembele think he has great potential but like big Tom last year lacks that final ball plus he needs to improve his awareness in the postional sense during the game. That will come I am sure but maybe as a "new" professional he does need to be well managed and an occasional rest may be of great benefit. Personally would like to see DJ get a run out and I also miss Tombo's cameo roles as sub and still think his pace and power can be of great help taking and/ or securing points in the last twenty minutes.

A result next Saturday would be great and then two home games with the latter of those v Lincoln a massive game for us Codheads who live over here. Hopefully for that match we could get some of the old BP atmosphere back as its a pretty quiet, and at times negative, place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
Mariner_09
September 17, 2017, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Berrett was crap when played out of position last season by Hurst and Bignot (no fault of his as he's a midfielder and not a winger). Summerfield is a fourth division player, he has everything, energy, good range of passing, can put his foot in and gets a decent number of goals and assists for a midfielder but he has a lash up in the locker.

Also despite the defence playing well on Tuesday, I can't help but feel some more pace and athleticism wouldn't help. If Danny Andrew and Toto were still here we could have easily pushed up higher and then after we conceded possession their attacker would be on our defence but much further away from goal.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
Cloudy
September 17, 2017, 9:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Seems opposition sees the game so differently.

One of their players saying we didn't cause them any problems other than the two set pieces we scored from!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
ginnywings
September 17, 2017, 9:44am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Cloudy
Seems opposition sees the game so differently.

One of their players saying we didn't cause them any problems other than the two set pieces we scored from!

Their keeper was way more busy than ours, so by that yardstick, we caused them more problems than they caused us. Neither side looked particularly lethal, but i'd be more worried if i were a Yeovil fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
mimma
September 17, 2017, 9:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Yet again we retreated back to our penalty area for the last10 minutes  giving the opposition the upper hand. It's a Slade thing I am sure since we use to be like that in his first spell.

Leaving a player up (Dembelle) when they have a corner means that they leave two players back and gives us an out ball.

It's negative and we will concede more late goals if it continues.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
barrattstandman
September 17, 2017, 11:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 17
It's not just a Slade thing. People have short memories. We did that under Hurst ,people were always moaning about it then. Also don't you think when a team is looking for a goal to get an equaliser or winner then they push you back. It is not always defending deeper but due to the opponents pressure .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
PPMariner
September 17, 2017, 11:56am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from barrattstandman
It's not just a Slade thing. People have short memories. We did that under Hurst, people were always moaning about it then. Also don't you think when a team is looking for a goal to get an equaliser or winner then they push you back. It is not always defending deeper but due to the opponents pressure .

Anyone who was at Chester will not have forgotten.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
scrumble
September 17, 2017, 12:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted Text
We did that under Hurst ,people were always moaning about it then.

We've had that under every manager at some point. In fact I bet if you look back over previous games, if we've been winning by just one goal I doubt there are many occasions when we've been dominating the game and pinning the opposition in their own half right up to the whistle.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Yet again we retreated back to our penalty area for the last10 minutes  giving the opposition the upper hand. It's a Slade thing I am sure since we use to be like that in his first spell.

Leaving a player up (Dembelle) when they have a corner means that they leave two players back and gives us an out ball.

It's negative and we will concede more late goals if it continues.  

I have not seen every game this season but don't recall conceding late in games even when we where winning.

I would have liked to have seen Cardwell on instead of Kelly yesterday as he has pace and would have given us a quicker outlet when they where trying to grab the equalizer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
The Yard Dog
September 17, 2017, 1:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from quebec38
Blaming Summerfield for their goal is harsh so I'm pleased so see some sensible people on here. Let's be honest it was a heck of a finish from Zoko first time from outside the box.
Deserved three points today and well done to the boys for 3 wins out of the last 4. Summerfield really dig in today imo but having said that I'd still bring Rose straight back for Newport.

No one questioning Maca's positioning for their goal, a good shot stopper, but for me he gets beaten from distance far to many times.

I will take the 3pts over performance, our little run of form, as been helped that we have played with 11 players and not 10, like we did with the first five games. All the red cards impact the game in more than just the lost of a player, tactics, subs etc.

Slade has had been able to select a more settled squad over the last few games, with helps.

On to the next game

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
Theimperialcoroner
September 17, 2017, 1:57pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from lukeo

Exactly what I thought. Got himself in a right mess.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
headingly_mariner
September 17, 2017, 2:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Quoted from The Yard Dog

No one questioning Maca's positioning for their goal, a good shot stopper, but for me he gets beaten from distance far to many times.

I will take the 3pts over performance, our little run of form, as been helped that we have played with 11 players and not 10, like we did with the first five games. All the red cards impact the game in more than just the lost of a player, tactics, subs etc.

Slade has had been able to select a more settled squad over the last few games, with helps.

On to the next game

UTM

It was a great finish. Surely nobody can suggest Mckeown is at fault for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
moosey_club
September 17, 2017, 2:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
or the fact we had 6 players in close proximity compared  to their two but they got there first

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
Mrs Doyle
September 17, 2017, 5:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

On to the next game

UTM

WTF  You really believe Macca was partially at fault??? Feck me watch it again that was a beautifully executed strike partially shielded by their other player no keeper would have got near that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2017, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

WTF  You really believe Macca was partially at fault??? Feck me watch it again that was a beautifully executed strike partially shielded by their other player no keeper would have got near that.

At the game I thought James was miles away from it but watching the highlights I think he got as close as he could to an excellent strike.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.