This thread currently has 10,201 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Skrill
September 16, 2017, 6:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Contrary to what some people have said, I absolutely enjoyed that game. Town started very brightly for the first 15 minutes, and we deserved to be in front with a Collins header. Woolford almost scored with a clever shot that was saved, and Clark almost scored a header at the end of the first halve. However the lack of pace in the back caught us out, when Summerfield miss-controlled a ball that led to their un-deserved equaliser. Must say Yeovil were not a relegation team in my opinion.

Second half was a barrel of laughs. From Summerfields hilarious long-ball that stayed in the air for what seemed like 15 seconds because of the wind. Summerfield did play well though, made some good tackles and long-balls, just his lack of his consistency lets him down. Yeovil's keeper who was hopeless at goal-kicks (wind partly to blame), and dembele's amazing, absolutely amazing trickery, but no end product (said previously that his needs to improve his pragmatic decision making, HIT IT FIRST TIME). Matt did well to hold the ball, just needs to improve end product and his first touch at times. Vernon came on and did exactly what Matt did but with end product, and his goal was very well received from the Pontoon.

Thoroughly enjoyed this game, as near the end a Yeovil shot looked as though it was destined to our top right corner, thankfully went near the corner flag..

Super happy, let's get a better attendance than the 3950 faithful, the players deserve better!! (Kelly not so much...)

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
grimsby pete
September 16, 2017, 6:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Not pretty but a well deserved win. MOM a toss up between Berrett and the impressive Woolford.

If you're one of the few that booed Vernon on you're a total girl private

I can never understand why so called fans boo their own players,

Good 3 points today.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
jamesgtfc
September 16, 2017, 6:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Good game and I thought we were excellent for a 10 minute spell in the second half. Matt gets pulled about but we wins the ball in the air, can control it with his feet/chest and has a bit of pace. Some headers were wayward from him but he wins them and it stops the ball coming straight back at us.

Summerfield and Berrett. I think after that interview with JT we all know Berrett is one of the first names on the teamsheet and he is right. He kept it simple, got the ball moving and started a few attacks with simple passes out wide today. Summerfield got criticism today because he is Luke Summerfield. His mistake that led to the goal was unfortunate but he got stuck in and won the aerial challenges in midfield.

Sam Jones needs to stop putting in rash, unnecessary challenges as that one today could easily have been a red but that aside, he played well and provides a good link between midfield and the strikers.

The late signings of Woolford and Matt bring a much needed balance to our starting 11.  Good header by Vernon for the goal, if only he made that decision last week at Mansfield instead of trying to control it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
newarkmariner
September 16, 2017, 7:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
i really enjoyed that,and now sitting with 2 more points than we had last season after 8 games,just saying like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
LondonMariner43
September 16, 2017, 7:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Just googled for the Sky highlights and the result looked correct but line ups look very retro!!

http://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-vs-yeovil/58260
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
livosnose
September 16, 2017, 7:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Kelly needs loaning out ASAP . Clee Town perhaps

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
Tommy
September 16, 2017, 7:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Not a bad game.

Started the better side and even though the ball probably spent more time out of play than it did in play in the first half hour, we were having the better of it.

Thought we were quite direct in the first half - always a worry that players can take the easy option and hit the target man when you have someone like Matt in the team. But, we did look half decent the few times we got it down and played it on the floor. One good passage of play leading to Woolford having a shot from 25 yards that the keeper parried.

Got a deserved lead and then conceded to a well-taken strike from their goalscorer. I've seen Summerfield taking the blame for it for his "mis-kick" but for me the ball to him was a poor one played at pace and he just couldn't adjust to connect in time. Certainly not a direct cause of the goal as it happened on the half way line.

Second half I think we played a bit more football. Early in the half we had a good 5-minute spell were we had them pinned back on the edge of their own box as we poured forward and put balls in the box. Had to wait a bit for the eventual winner but that was all it was going to need unless we shot ourselves in the foot, as Yeovil really offered nothing.

I thought when Vernon came on that I would've left Matt on a bit longer and maybe brought Cardwell on for Jones at the time. But Matt was probably starting to tire in fairness. And turned out to be a good sub with Vernon getting the winner after a great header across from Clarke.

Saw the game out fairly comfortably despite Yeovil having a spell for the last 5 minutes when we either didn't clear our lines well enough and at other times didn't keep the ball when we had chances to keep possession.

Individual wise -

James Berrett. I've been critical of him in the past. Never thought he was a poor player, just that he doesn't impact games and is never in the right place at the right time when we don't have the ball. But today he bossed central midfield. Out of possession he was tenacious, won tackles and competed well. In possession he moved it well, was more decisive than usual and didn't take too many touches when it wasnt necessary.

Alongside him Summerfield was good too with a solid 7/10 performance. A couple of hacked volleys 2nd half that went high and nowhere, but he switched play very well plenty of times, got it wide and played off one-touch a lot to find a black & white shirt. Also made plenty of vital interceptions in our defensive third. Still a lot of people in the stands get on his case at the slightest mistake but don't recognise the positives.

Woolford. We've got a very clever player here haven't we. Uses the ball very well. Doesn't just put the ball into areas, he plays it to a team mate. Happy to play off both feet, good touch and gets into good positions. Near the end of the first half he took a Ben Davies cross down with one exquisite touch before firing goalwards which the keeper saved. Not a winger who'll race up and down the touchline but hes got a football brain which I like. Dare I say a Buckley type winger.

Collins and Clarke good. Both had involvement with goals and Clarke possibly should have scored himself 1st half when he headed wide.

Matt's a real handful and will create space for others. Happy to see Jones up top again but didn't see his booking.

MOM for me was between Berrett and Woolford.

UTM

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Mariner_09
September 16, 2017, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Berrett was our best player by some distance for me. Woolford was definitely up there but he faded in the 2nd half, he seems to have helped Dixon who looks far more comfortable with Woolford in front of him who is so much better than Kelly in every respect.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
moosey_club
September 16, 2017, 7:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
first half a poor spectacle with both sides wasteful...
second half we came out more determined and pressed higher...berrett and summerfield noticeably 10-20 yds further forward which helped....pleased for Vernon as no matter how poor he was at Mansfield he shouldnt be booed on.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
Mariner_09
September 16, 2017, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.