This thread currently has 6,248 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2017, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
He definitely a intelligent player with bags of experience and talent but I think Dixon had his best game yet and deserved MOM.

Agree about the swapping wings thing it did not work today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
HertsGTFC
September 16, 2017, 8:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,873
Gold Stars: 227
Very clever player and still a way off being fully match fit. Thought he was great today.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
sam gy
September 16, 2017, 8:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
What was all that about him being past it/on his way down, etc. Boo Slade why aren't you splashing cash on non-league players.

All them games at a higher level, and he's only 31....seemed like a very good signing on paper and glad he's proving it on the field.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 16, 2017, 8:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
He played the full 90 on Tues IIRC

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
arryarryarry
September 16, 2017, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Agree about Woolford. Not convinced Sirki should be a definite starter, I know he produces moments of brilliance but more often than not there is no end product - if we had a decent replacement it would be nice to have him as an impact sub

To be fair to Dembele apart from the goal in the second half from a free kick there was no end product from anyone else as I believe that was the only effort on goal in the second 45 minutes.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Roast Em Bobby
September 16, 2017, 9:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Not having a big dig at dembele by any means, in a few games I've been to he's been the only thing worth watching. Just struck me watching Woodford today that I wished we had someone similar on the other side and that we are perhaps expecting too much from dembele given his age/experience. Wouldn't mind seeing us start a match with DJ on one wing and Woodford on the other, then a Dembele coming on for the last 30 mins to run rings around knackered defenders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Maringer
September 16, 2017, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,396
Gold Stars: 184
Woolford a clever player as shown today, hopefully Dembele can learn from him when to keep the ball and when to move it on.

No great criticism for Dembele today as he just couldn't get going. A pity his touch let him down from that lovely pass by Jones (who himself didn't get anywhere much today), but I do wish Dembele would take the shot on sometimes as he spurned a couple of chances today when he should have had a go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2017, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Dembele is ridiculously talented but ridiculously inexperienced. Yes, there's occasions when he runs down blind alleys but he will get better. DJ may be an option but don't diss the lad, he's certainly got something.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Tommy
September 16, 2017, 10:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Yeah as exciting a talent as Dembele clearly is, there's a lot of progress for him to make. Luckily for him, he's in a pro club's first team getting games/experience at age 20.

Since from his perfect run and assist for Jones on the opening day, there's been very little end product to all his fancy footwork. It just comes down to poor decision-making in the final third generally. There's been plenty of times where he runs diagonally from the right touchline, ending up just inside the box, but he's reluctant to take shots on with his left foot so ends up losing the opportunity. At other times (once I saw on highlights from Accy Stanley and again today) he takes a touch to set for a shot when shooting first time is either s better option or all he's really got time for.

This is just where he can (and needs to) develop his game, I'm not criticising him or having a pop at him. The lad's 20 and playing his first few professional games, decision making will come with exoerience and with Slade/Wilko working with him at Cheapside day in day out. He's doing great for his first couple of months. The above, some would say harsh, critique is just what scouts from bigger clubs will probably be noting for the time being IMO.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
HertsGTFC
September 16, 2017, 10:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,873
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Tommy
Yeah as exciting a talent as Dembele clearly is, there's a lot of progress for him to make. Luckily for him, he's in a pro club's first team getting games/experience at age 20.

Since from his perfect run and assist for Jones on the opening day, there's been very little end product to all his fancy footwork. It just comes down to poor decision-making in the final third generally. There's been plenty of times where he runs diagonally from the right touchline, ending up just inside the box, but he's reluctant to take shots on with his left foot so ends up losing the opportunity. At other times (once I saw on highlights from Accy Stanley and again today) he takes a touch to set for a shot when shooting first time is either s better option or all he's really got time for.

This is just where he can (and needs to) develop his game, I'm not criticising him or having a pop at him. The lad's 20 and playing his first few professional games, decision making will come with exoerience and with Slade/Wilko working with him at Cheapside day in day out. He's doing great for his first couple of months. The above, some would say harsh, critique is just what scouts from bigger clubs will probably be noting for the time being IMO.

I think that's fair Tommy, I also like his attitude though as when he/we lose possession he will try and win it back which might indicate that he has the attitude to "stay back" after a session and work on his game. I would still stick with him as a starter for a while yet and surely there is enough experience in this squad and staff to help him develop. I think a goal would help him to be honest as it might just stop him trying to over complicate things.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Woolford

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.