Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC - The Way Forward
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 130 Guests

Which options are the best way forward?
The Trust to put a marketing strategy forward to attract new benefactors to replace JF
The Trust to work with JF to attract new substantial investment and play a greater role
JF to attract substantial new investment and relinquish his complete control
I am worried about the unknown, so I’d rather just stick with JF even though things aren’t great
JF is doing a great job and I have complete faith in his ability to take the club forward
Not interested, only concerned about what happens on the pitch
I just want Fenty out, to hell with the consequences
  View Results 115 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

GTFC - The Way Forward

This thread currently has 5,431 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 1:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Forget about the past (if you can). There's an honest and open debate regarding the future direction of the club to be had. Which way do you think is best?

You can choose more than one option..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
September 15, 2017, 1:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I admit a lot of JF's decisions have been poor (particularly the managerial appointments) plus the Mike Parker saga just showed what a complete control freak he is but he is a Town fan, his heart is in the right place, I take him at face value when says he won't pull out his loans and I fear the unknown, the club is stable financially and we will survive in the league again this year then Slade can get rid of all the dead wood in the squad and sign all of his own players.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
gtfc98
September 15, 2017, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Pretty loaded questions there so a poor poll which I won't be answering directly. Fenty is doing an OK job for me. He's a lot less trigger happy than he was a few years back and I think Slade is a reasonable appointment.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 1:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98
Pretty loaded questions there so a poor poll which I won't be answering directly. Fenty is doing an OK job for me. He's a lot less trigger happy than he was a few years back and I think Slade is a reasonable appointment.

Sorry you feel that way. I did spend a few days thinking about the options based upon much needed investment, especially if you have a good look at the accounts.

In the spirit of transparency my marginally favoured option was

JF to attract substantial new investment and relinquish his complete control

This was made on the basis that I think it would be healthier for the club to be better invested than it is, have a greater pooling of minds to come to decisions especially on purely footballing and PR matters and JF to remain on board to realise his dream of seeing GTFC in a new stadium. I respect the hard work (however misplaced at times) and financial commitment he has put in but I think the club and the fans need a fresh approach with fresh ideas and the club needs a sounder financial footing..

I'm also leaning towards the Trust being more actively involved if more professionally adept marketing and financial personnel can be attracted to the fold..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
Cloudy
September 15, 2017, 1:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I wonder if the club being a PLC means there are rules and regulations in respect of 'soliciting' for investment??

Although i agree it would be a good move, i think in practice it may be far more difficult and costly than I first thought?

Anyone KNOW whether this is an issue?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 2:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
I wonder if the club being a PLC means there are rules and regulations in respect of 'soliciting' for investment??

Although i agree it would be a good move, i think in practice it may be far more difficult and costly than I first thought?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00034760/filing-history

Full accounts 2016 PDF, note 22 GOING CONCERN on page 24
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
bedders78
September 15, 2017, 3:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
I'd forgotton some of the directors - Colin Graves! Not done too bad for himself since leaving GTFC

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
realist
September 15, 2017, 3:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm also leaning towards the Trust being more actively involved if more professionally adept marketing and financial people can be attracted to the fold..

Oh my god no. The trust is partly responsible for the position the club is in now. If thet hadn't gifted Fenty the shares they would have had a lot more leverage in deciding who runs the club. At best they are a bunch of enthusiastic amatuers. Stick to running the bars.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Cloudy

That's why they become PLC's to garner investment. Sell the public a share in you company and use the money to grow your business. Oh yeah forgot to add that at the same time the directors of the company who have been rewarded with equity for years usually make a bundle. I'd not get to hung up on PLC's and A shares, it's the B shares in a business that give you the real power.

We can moan all we like for lots of reasons Fenty is not going anywhere for a while yet.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2017, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from gtfc98

How many managers did we have last season?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 15, 2017, 6:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I was relatively pleased with how the club was ran over the last few years, could say previous to that could be down to inexperience, felt that theres been a few poor PR choices and our steady transfer policies seem to have gone out the window, which partially understand due to the pressure to spend the Bogle money, but hope we don't lose our way in signing young none league talents and our squad needs downsizing a bit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
headingly_mariner
September 15, 2017, 6:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113
I'd like to see the debt dropped and the club put up for sale properly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
LondonMariner43
September 15, 2017, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I am bemused why there's a sudden resurgence of unrest and Fentyoutitis.

After 6 years in non league we regained our league status.  Some clubs have gone back up quicker but many have not.  Some have gone further down into oblivion.

In our first season back, we were a solid mid-table.  We've lost a few games this season but it seems at worst we have established ourselves as a mid table L2 side.

Our 'true' position in the league these days is probably as a L1/ L2 yoyo club.  We may one day make it to the championship for a brief stay.

We are in reasonable shape financially and seem to have a few exciting young players who could earn us a few quid one day.

What exactly is it that everyone expects?  Champions League in 5 years?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
LondonMariner43
September 15, 2017, 6:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I'd like to see the debt dropped and the club put up for sale properly.

why should JF drop his debt?  Would you?  If you have a mortgage, try asking the bank to let you off your debt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
LondonMariner43
September 15, 2017, 6:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How many managers did we have last season?

One manager sacked is hardly trigger happy.  Do you read the sports pages?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
Cloudy
September 15, 2017, 6:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

After 6 years in non league we regained our league status.  Some clubs have gone back up quicker but many have not.  Some have gone further down into oblivion.

In our first season back, we were a solid mid-table.  We've lost a few games this season but it seems at worst we have established ourselves as a mid table L2 side.

Our 'true' position in the league these days is probably as a L1/ L2 yoyo club.  We may one day make it to the championship for a brief stay.

We are in reasonable shape financially and seem to have a few exciting young players who could earn us a few quid one day.

£3 or 4m in debt would suggest otherwise especially as there are no readily realised assets!!
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
Cloudy
September 15, 2017, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

That's why they become PLC's to garner investment. Sell the public a share in you company and use the money to grow your business. Oh yeah forgot to add that at the same time the directors of the company who have been rewarded with equity for years usually make a bundle. I'd not get to hung up on PLC's and A shares, it's the B shares in a business that give you the real power.

We can moan all we like for lots of reasons Fenty is not going anywhere for a while yet.

Sounds great but the point I was making is that in order to advertise for investment then a full prospectus needs to be issued at huge cost under current stock exchange regulations!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
LondonMariner43
September 15, 2017, 7:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

£3 or 4m in debt would suggest otherwise especially as there are no readily realised assets!!

That has been the case for years.  I mean that we are living within our means.  

I wonder if JF wishes he'd spent his cash on something that didn't involve him getting slagged off every five minutes rather than being appreciated for bailing out the club he loves.

I almost want him to sell the club to someone who changes our strip to green, renames the team Grimsby Mariners, sells off the ground and leaves the club on its knees in the 7th tier.  Then maybe people will be less naive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
headingly_mariner
September 15, 2017, 7:07pm

Vodka Drinker

why should JF drop his debt?  Would you?  If you have a mortgage, try asking the bank to let you off your debt.

I couldn't lend myself the money to smash my kitchen up and expect a prospective buyer to pay for it. You're no longer allowed to provide director loans because they aren't good for clubs.

Losing money is the price you pay for being in control for years. It's an expensive season ticket but that's what it is. You don't get the money back for yours. It keeps the club in a total stranglehold.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
headingly_mariner
September 15, 2017, 7:09pm

Vodka Drinker

For a lot of people it's not about footballing success, it's about the the way the club is run off the field and how the fans are treated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
Cloudy
September 15, 2017, 7:20pm
Whiskey Drinker

I wonder if JF wishes he'd spent his cash on something that didn't involve him getting slagged off every five minutes rather than being appreciated for bailing out the club he loves.

I almost want him to sell the club to someone who changes our strip to green, renames the team Grimsby Mariners, sells off the ground and leaves the club on its knees in the 7th tier.  Then maybe people will be less naive.

In hindsight I think I wish he had spent his cash on something else!

Administration was not the complete disaster it may be for GTFC today. Every club survived and many prospered.

I appreciate that may be a strange view to many but I honestly believe we would have been in better shape had we done so. In reality nobody knows
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
jock dock tower
September 15, 2017, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164

In terms of publicity over the years the amount of money invested is relatively small to the amount of kudos he receives, the free advertising for the businesses he owns or is involved in, and his standing as a local councillor - it always helps having a well known name.

I think were you to do some kind of correlation between what you would need to spend physically over the term John's spent in his chair / non chair role at Grimsby, and what he's actually put into the club he's done very well out of it indeed - especially if the vast majority of the investment is in loans. In which case he's done exceedingly well. Said it before, and will say it again, ask John to drop any ownership he has of the loans as a long standing Town fan and attract new investment on the back of it.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
September 15, 2017, 8:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jock dock tower

In terms of publicity over the years the amount of money invested is relatively small to the amount of kudos he receives, the free advertising for the businesses he owns or is involved in, and his standing as a local councillor - it always helps having a well known name.

I think were you to do some kind of correlation between what you would need to spend physically over the term John's spent in his chair / non chair role at Grimsby, and what he's actually put into the club he's done very well out of it indeed - especially if the vast majority of the investment is in loans. In which case he's done exceedingly well. Said it before, and will say it again, ask John to drop any ownership he has of the loans as a long standing Town fan and attract new investment on the back of it.

Exactly. Who had heard of John Fenty before he became involved with the Mariners? That sort of profile is a godsend when you are hoping to further your standing in the local community. He has had all the trappings of being top dog, as well as the worries. He was the one to put the money up and fair enough to him for that but something will have to give soon.

We need to go forward as a club and start to realise our potential. New investment, new stadium or both. There must be some actual news on the stadium very soon, which I hope will be the catalyst for change, otherwise the fans will start to get despondent and become more vocal.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker

Exactly. Who had heard of John Fenty before he became involved with the Mariners? That sort of profile is a godsend when you are hoping to further your standing in the local community. He has had all the trappings of being top dog, as well as the worries. He was the one to put the money up and fair enough to him for that but something will have to give soon.

We need to go forward as a club and start to realise our potential. New investment, new stadium or both. There must be some actual news on the stadium very soon, which I hope will be the catalyst for change, otherwise the fans will start to get despondent and become more vocal.

Or even worse Lew's Lover, not be bothered and just stop going to games. It's started happening already.. Who would have thought six months ago that we wouldn't sell out Mansfield away this season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
lew chaterleys lover
September 15, 2017, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog

Or even worse Lew, not be bothered and just stop going to games. It's started happening already.. Who would have thought six months ago that we wouldn't sell out Mansfield away this season?

Fair point. I am not Lew by the way - I am his lover   Only metaphorically of course!
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Bigdog
September 15, 2017, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Edited for you  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
Marinerz93
September 15, 2017, 9:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

Do you want to borrow my leaf blower to get the sand out of your girl private.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2017, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235

The naive thing to do was to burden the club with debt. Or maybe his obsession with wanting to look like the knight in shining armour overrode the proper business decision which would have been administration. I know hindsight is a superpower but many football club chairmen had the foresight to take that option.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2017, 12:57am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from realist

Oh my god no. The trust is partly responsible for the position the club is in now. If thet hadn't gifted Fenty the shares they would have had a lot more leverage in deciding who runs the club. At best they are a bunch of enthusiastic amatuers. Stick to running the bars.

Agree with the first part but not the second. At least lessons could have been learned.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2017, 1:00am
Meths Drinker

Or you could see it as lending the club money to bail it out from losses made during his stewardship (ITV Digital part excepted).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2017, 1:05am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower

Oh I don't know Jock. I wouldn't have thought being seen as the man who controls GTFC over the last decade and a bit as good publicity. Hardly a good track record.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2017, 1:19am
Meths Drinker
I think the poll is skewed. The options can be summarised as:

(1) You want him to stay in control;
(2) You want new investment; or
(3) You're some kind of dimwit.

One missing option is the Trust to completely take over. If that were a declared aim I'm sure it would galvanise more fans into being more active participants.

Some way has got to be found of clearing the debt to directors. A tall order but there's got to be a deal in there somewhere. Until that happens I can't see any change of effective control.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
louth_in_the_south
September 16, 2017, 7:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
I'm going to close my eyes , cross my fingers and wish for a billionaire invested to appear .... fooks sake OP you make it sound so fooking simple

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
grimsbybrown
September 16, 2017, 8:00am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
The loans remain a stranglehold and have always felt like Fenty wanting his cake and eating it.

Over the years his PR communication and general demeanour have suggested to me that GTFC was a project in which he always wanted to 'feel the love'...  He would become the heroic figure who would receive the gratitude and adoration of his public...

Some bad decisions (Neil Woods should never have got the job and then I lost any shred of confidence when in the FA cup when it was clear that he didn't know we could name additional subs - basic stuff), some bad luck, some bizarre stuff (deconstructed flags) and years in the wilderness, but the odd high-point too.

If he wants the adoration of saviour / benefactor - the Jack Walker type figure, then they put their money in for the love without ties / strings to have it all returned.  If he wants to play hard and protect his 'investment' then fine, but take the flak fair and square for all the problems that has created.  You can't have it both ways.

Does he love the club, yes, I think so, but clearly not enough when it comes down to it, to relax his grip and write off the loans.  This might allow new solutions, new investment,  in which he could still remain a central part, to emerge.

Ultimately, whose glory is this all for, Towns?  or his?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
Cloudy
September 16, 2017, 8:05am
Whiskey Drinker
If JF's dream is to land the new stadium then it would be great if he focussed just on that and left the day to day running of the club to others without any interference
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Mallyner
September 16, 2017, 8:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
The question which cannot be answered is; would there be a Grimsby Town as we know it, without John Fenty?

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
chaos33
September 16, 2017, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 357
So, just a load more of the same on this thread then....

As Louth said....as if its all so simple!

Meanwhile - big game today lads! 3 points up for grabs.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC - The Way Forward

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.