Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC - The Way Forward
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 238 Guests

Which options are the best way forward?
The Trust to put a marketing strategy forward to attract new benefactors to replace JF
The Trust to work with JF to attract new substantial investment and play a greater role
JF to attract substantial new investment and relinquish his complete control
I am worried about the unknown, so I’d rather just stick with JF even though things aren’t great
JF is doing a great job and I have complete faith in his ability to take the club forward
Not interested, only concerned about what happens on the pitch
I just want Fenty out, to hell with the consequences
  View Results 115 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

GTFC - The Way Forward

This thread currently has 5,432 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2017, 1:05am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jock dock tower

In terms of publicity over the years the amount of money invested is relatively small to the amount of kudos he receives, the free advertising for the businesses he owns or is involved in, and his standing as a local councillor - it always helps having a well known name.

I think were you to do some kind of correlation between what you would need to spend physically over the term John's spent in his chair / non chair role at Grimsby, and what he's actually put into the club he's done very well out of it indeed - especially if the vast majority of the investment is in loans. In which case he's done exceedingly well. Said it before, and will say it again, ask John to drop any ownership he has of the loans as a long standing Town fan and attract new investment on the back of it.

Oh I don't know Jock. I wouldn't have thought being seen as the man who controls GTFC over the last decade and a bit as good publicity. Hardly a good track record.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2017, 1:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I think the poll is skewed. The options can be summarised as:

(1) You want him to stay in control;
(2) You want new investment; or
(3) You're some kind of dimwit.

One missing option is the Trust to completely take over. If that were a declared aim I'm sure it would galvanise more fans into being more active participants.

Some way has got to be found of clearing the debt to directors. A tall order but there's got to be a deal in there somewhere. Until that happens I can't see any change of effective control.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
louth_in_the_south
September 16, 2017, 7:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
I'm going to close my eyes , cross my fingers and wish for a billionaire invested to appear .... fooks sake OP you make it sound so fooking simple

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
grimsbybrown
September 16, 2017, 8:00am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
The loans remain a stranglehold and have always felt like Fenty wanting his cake and eating it.

Over the years his PR communication and general demeanour have suggested to me that GTFC was a project in which he always wanted to 'feel the love'...  He would become the heroic figure who would receive the gratitude and adoration of his public...

Some bad decisions (Neil Woods should never have got the job and then I lost any shred of confidence when in the FA cup when it was clear that he didn't know we could name additional subs - basic stuff), some bad luck, some bizarre stuff (deconstructed flags) and years in the wilderness, but the odd high-point too.

If he wants the adoration of saviour / benefactor - the Jack Walker type figure, then they put their money in for the love without ties / strings to have it all returned.  If he wants to play hard and protect his 'investment' then fine, but take the flak fair and square for all the problems that has created.  You can't have it both ways.

Does he love the club, yes, I think so, but clearly not enough when it comes down to it, to relax his grip and write off the loans.  This might allow new solutions, new investment,  in which he could still remain a central part, to emerge.

Ultimately, whose glory is this all for, Towns?  or his?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
Cloudy
September 16, 2017, 8:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
If JF's dream is to land the new stadium then it would be great if he focussed just on that and left the day to day running of the club to others without any interference
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Mallyner
September 16, 2017, 8:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
The question which cannot be answered is; would there be a Grimsby Town as we know it, without John Fenty?

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
chaos33
September 16, 2017, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
So, just a load more of the same on this thread then....

As Louth said....as if its all so simple!

Meanwhile - big game today lads! 3 points up for grabs.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC - The Way Forward

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.