bax
September 18, 2017, 9:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from friskneymariner

If that is the case you need to consider your sample validity,i.e that is by definition only those who are on social media and e-mail are aware.,this excludes a significant amount of the population.,I fought all my Public Sector career against digital default.

Actually the vast majority of the population now use email and social media...

I did say etc - it was covered in the local press, in the GTFC football programme and we spoke to plenty of people too. But we'll never catch everyone.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 99
friskneymariner
September 18, 2017, 9:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,148
Gold Stars: 38
Actually 33% of the population as of 2014 do not have access to e-mail,do not wish to embark on Research Methods 101 but the reasons so many polls are wrong in general elections is because they relied on e-surveys thus excluding a significant tranche of the population.
The idea that you are propagating that  the majority of people have access to e-mail may be correct,but there is a significant proportion of the population that still don't  and your attitude marginalises and excludes a  demographic and is at odds with  any equality of opportunity  policy,quite disappointed that someone in your position is not conversant with the basic principles of social inclusion.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 99
bax
September 18, 2017, 9:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Actually 33% of the population as of 2014 do not have access to e-mail,do not wish to embark on Research Methods 101 but the reasons so many polls are wrong in general elections is because they relied on e-surveys thus excluding a significant tranche of the population.
The idea that you are propagating that  the majority of people have access to e-mail may be correct,but there is a significant proportion of the population that still don't  and your attitude marginalises and excludes a  demographic and is at odds with  any equality of opportunity  policy,quite disappointed that someone in your position is not conversant with the basic principles of social inclusion.

Did you read the second part of my post?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 99
GrimRob
September 18, 2017, 9:33pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,347
Gold Stars: 113

I think you'll find that the online polls were generally better than the phone polls. People tend to be more honest with a computer than with a human speaking to them.

You have to ask yourself how likely someone who has no access to any sort of  electronic communication and doesn't read the local paper is to turn up at a meeting to discuss issues relating to the trust, especially if its entirely self-driven. The chances are they will know somebody they rely upon to keep them updated of events like this. Anybody who excludes themselves to such an extent is probably not going to have the drive to involve themselves in a meeting of this sort. Before you have a go at me, I have nothing to do with the running of the trust, I am not defending them, just making my point. I'd rather they didn't spend time and effort writing a physical letter to every member.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 63 - 99
Cloudy
September 18, 2017, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

What were the trust supposed to do?

They made the announcement that the meeting would be taking place on twitter, message boards such as this, through the local newspaper, in the matchday programme, on Facebook and through e-mails to their members, web sites etc.

Dont think anyone could reasonably expect them to do anymore, but i think you nailed your opinions to the mast in previous threads so my advice to any organisation would be there will be always some who will always sit in the opposite corner whatever you do

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 99
friskneymariner
September 18, 2017, 9:47pm

Champagne Drinker
Yes,i did but  the blase comment that you consider the majority of people are on e-mail is dangerous and compounds social exclusion,I suggest without wishing to be patronising that you read John Stuart Mills treatise on the Tyranny of the Majority

Too many people are being excluded by dint of digital default.A bland acceptance that we will never reach everybody is a tatict acceptance of  the status quo without reflecting how that may be changed. You need to consider how you communicate with hard to reach groups.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 99
barralad
September 18, 2017, 9:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,207
Gold Stars: 121
Wow! I never, ever thought to read a reference to JS Mill on The Fishy!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 99
friskneymariner
September 18, 2017, 9:57pm

Champagne Drinker
That you making assumptions about those of us who sit in the Pontoon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 99
friskneymariner
September 18, 2017, 10:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I think you'll find that the online polls were generally better than the phone polls. People tend to be more honest with a computer than with a human speaking to them.

You have to ask yourself how likely someone who has no access to any sort of  electronic communication and doesn't read the local paper is to turn up at a meeting to discuss issues relating to the trust, especially if its entirely self-driven. The chances are they will know somebody they rely upon to keep them updated of events like this. Anybody who excludes themselves to such an extent is probably not going to have the drive to involve themselves in a meeting of this sort. Before you have a go at me, I have nothing to do with the running of the trust, I am not defending them, just making my point. I'd rather they didn't spend time and effort writing a physical letter to every member.

Rob that is a very narrow view,what about us fans who live miles from GY who do not see the local media ,or indeed subscribe to social media,think you have a very narrow perspective which I would suspect is held by a younger age group,not all of us live our life on line or feel the need to have to.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 99
barralad
September 18, 2017, 11:14pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,207
Gold Stars: 121
That you making assumptions about those of us who sit in the Pontoon.

Don't be so defensive! You must admit it's not regular Fishy fare!! Anyway I sit on the Pontoon along with lots of well educated folks.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust open meeting

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.