This thread currently has 3,677 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
September 14, 2017, 4:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
It's a work in progress I expect this team to get better as time goes on and the squad gel. With J.Osbourne and Asante due to return as well it's not crystal ball time yet far from

Keep your glass half full.           UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
arryarryarry
September 14, 2017, 5:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,942
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from AussieMariner
Worth noting that 6 of the 7 teams we've played are in the top 11 - including 2 that we beat so not just because they've played us...

Sorry to be pedantic but of those six four are only there because they beat us, one would have one more point than us the rest the same or less.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
moosey_club
September 14, 2017, 8:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Pick up any points on Saturday and we will at least be on an even keel with last seasons start, win and we will have had a better start than last season.
Throw in 5 suspensions, 3 long term injuries, 1 mysterious case of the Clements  then hopefully we should only get stronger as players come back.

Looking ahead we are playing 6/7 teams who are currently below us (if you take note of tables at this point of the season) and these games are the type we have struggled with in recent history....if Slade can guide us to wins in these types of games then we could be well placed by the time we see Craig Disley.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
grimsby pete
September 14, 2017, 9:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I would rather look down than up,

I want us to be top looking down thinking ,   " you can not catch us "  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
AussieMariner
September 14, 2017, 10:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from arryarryarry

Sorry to be pedantic but of those six four are only there because they beat us, one would have one more point than us the rest the same or less.

I did say not just because they've played us so that's my cop out as a fellow pedant.
My real point was that we've played a lot of teams in the top half so our position is maybe a bit false. Hope we can put away the teams that are lower than us.
So far I've only been able to watch highlights and a couple of iview games when I've been half asleep and three quarters drunk but I'm quite encouraged by some of the stuff I've seen.
About to come over on my next bi-annual pilgramige and looking forward to Lincoln, Port Vale, Crawley games and family commitments allowing, Cheltenham and Morecambe.
I actually think that apart from the defence being a bit light on and leggy we've got a pretty good squad.
Planning to be at the play off final in May watching:

McKeown
Mills Collins Osborne Dixon
Dembele Osborne McCallister  Woolforde
Jones Matt

Plus a few decent subs (DJ, Asante, maybe Hooper etc)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
GrimRob
September 14, 2017, 11:01am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
A lot depends on injuries and suspensions. Keeping a settled side can help enormously in putting a good run together. The year Leicester won the league they used very few players because they got lucky with injuries. If we can find a line up that gells and stick to it with minor variations when needed we could threaten the top 7, but I'd say at this stage it's far more likely that we won't.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 19
arryarryarry
September 14, 2017, 11:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,942

I did say not just because they've played us so that's my cop out as a fellow pedant.
My real point was that we've played a lot of teams in the top half so our position is maybe a bit false. Hope we can put away the teams that are lower than us.
So far I've only been able to watch highlights and a couple of iview games when I've been half asleep and three quarters drunk but I'm quite encouraged by some of the stuff I've seen.
About to come over on my next bi-annual pilgramige and looking forward to Lincoln, Port Vale, Crawley games and family commitments allowing, Cheltenham and Morecambe.
I actually think that apart from the defence being a bit light on and leggy we've got a pretty good squad.
Planning to be at the play off final in May watching:

McKeown
Mills Collins Osborne Dixon
Dembele Osborne McCallister  Woolforde
Jones Matt

Plus a few decent subs (DJ, Asante, maybe Hooper etc)

I must be missing something as I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. We are below them because we were rubbish in the games we played against them not because those teams were particularly good.

We have to hope that Tuesday's performance was not a one off.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
grimsby pete
September 14, 2017, 12:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Can I just add that we are below a lot of teams because we have gifted them the points,

With  sending offs, own goals and conceding pens,

Stop doing that and we will move up the table,

Gain more confidence by winning and in doing so play much better football.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
AussieMariner
September 14, 2017, 12:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from arryarryarry

I must be missing something as I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. We are below them because we were rubbish in the games we played against them not because those teams were particularly good.

We have to hope that Tuesday's performance was not a one off.

My point is that we have played 6 teams that are above us and 1 that is below. Chances are that the teams we've played, on average, are better than the teams we have still to meet.
Having said that I now surrender to a superior pedant - I'm really just looking forward to attending a few games and trying to have a positive outlook going into them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2017, 1:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I'm really just looking forward to attending a few games and trying to have a positive outlook going into them.

flipping hell mate. You can keep those New World attitudes where they belong. You've been out of Grimsby/England too long.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Looking up rather than down

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.