September 11, 2017, 4:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GrimRob
Entered on behalf of Neal Flett who does not have an account on the forum:

This is the first time I have written on this website for a long time. for all those who wished the former two managers the sack. Look what we have got now. It was a crazy decision to sack Bignot.  Remember John Fenty saying he was head and shoulders above the rest. He was 6 months into his first full-time managers job. Yes, there was some strange tactics at the time, but he did make some good signings. None of Slade's signings have enhanced the squad. As supporters, we deserve better. Maybe it's time for John Fenty to pass the baton on.

Hurst just rubbed some sensitive sorts up the wrong way. The way he took us from a joke to a consistently professional outfit was pretty good. He was a young improving manager and I always felt he was intelligent. He will continue to be a success in the leagues above us and I thought it was a major error to allow him to leave for Shrewsbury. All that said I am pretty fed up of hearing about him now.

Bignot was a complete tinkerman, the fact he changed so much in such a short time and copulated about with the team like it was preseason when we still had a chance of the play offs made me think he wasn't very bright. No real method to his teams play and just talked absolute bollox. I actually think Fenty getting rid was the right decision.

It's early days yet but I think we will be far better off with Slade than with Bignot. We will improve as the season goes on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
mariner91
September 11, 2017, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,568
Gold Stars: 260
I don't buy this theory that Bignot had the same method which worked wonders at Solihull. It's made out as though he came in and tinkered around with the team and the fans weren't sure what he was doing. Then they took the league by storm the next season and he was revered as a tactical genius. Now either he was tinkering for four whole seasons or that's complete bollocks. Their finishes in his first four seasons were 19th, 9th, 8th, 12th so this idea that there was method behind his madness that could have come to instant fruition this season seems fanciful. Even if he was tinkering in his 4th season, I'd say that had less impact than the financial troubles that Kidderminster and Nuneaton were having during the summer of 2015 leaving some good players in the local area without clubs. And he signed 7 players from Nuneaton and 4 from Kidderminster (including Asante) which is a whole new team.

Perhaps I'm cynical and there really was method behind his odd selections. But I'm willing to bet that it was far more likely that he got lucky from the sudden influx of players in the local area who'd played at a higher level becoming available and allowing him to sign virtually a new team. The fact that he'd never got any higher than 8th place before these particular circumstances suggests to me that it was opportunistic and not some long term, well thought out masterplan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
bluebottle
September 11, 2017, 4:28pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +459
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hurst just rubbed some sensitive sorts up the wrong way. The way he took us from a joke to a consistently professional outfit was pretty good. He was a young improving manager and I always felt he was intelligent. He will continue to be a success in the leagues above us and I thought it was a major error to allow him to leave for Shrewsbury. All that said I am pretty fed up of hearing about him now.

Bignot was a complete tinkerman, the fact he changed so much in such a short time and copulated about with the team like it was preseason when we still had a chance of the play offs made me think he wasn't very bright. No real method to his teams play and just talked absolute bollox. I actually think Fenty getting rid was the right decision.

It's early days yet but I think we will be far better off with Slade than with Bignot. We will improve as the season goes on.

This is my fervent hope.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
arryarryarry
September 11, 2017, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Having seen quite a few of the 1,700 that went to Halifax, sensitive is not a word that I would use to describe them.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
Marinerz93
September 11, 2017, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RoboCod
I'd like to know what the incident was to lead to Bignots sacking. Something not serious enough for instant dismissal, but not un-serious enough to try and smooth things over (like chucking a plate at a players face), but semi-serious enough to let the guy know he was heading out of the door but had to attend the next game in full knowledge it was his last.
But of course in the Boards statement it was none of these, and down to performances and results.

On the field stuff is bad enough but pales to the mess we have off it. I'm tempted to let a bunch of sem-trained chimps into the GTFC boardroom and let them loose on the phones, paperwork and fax machines and see if we notice the difference.

I don't think they will do it for the love of the club! and on that note Fenty will vote no.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LfxPcy8.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
grimsby pete
September 11, 2017, 8:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
[quote=419]I don't buy this theory that Bignot had the same method which worked wonders at Solihull. It's made out as though he came in and tinkered around with the team and the fans weren't sure what he was doing. Then they took the league by storm the next season and he was revered as a tactical genius. Now either he was tinkering for four whole seasons or that's complete bollocks. Their finishes in his first four seasons were 19th, 9th, 8th, 12th so this idea that there was method behind his madness that could have come to instant fruition this season seems fanciful. Even if he was tinkering in his 4th season, I'd say that had less impact than the financial troubles that Kidderminster and Nuneaton were having during the summer of 2015 leaving some good players in the local area without clubs. And he signed 7 players from Nuneaton and 4 from Kidderminster (including Asante) which is a whole new team.

Perhaps I'm cynical and there really was method behind his odd selections. But I'm willing to bet that it was far more likely that he got lucky from the sudden influx of players in the local area who'd played at a higher level becoming available and allowing him to sign virtually a new team. The fact that he'd never got any higher than 8th place before these particular circumstances suggests to me that it was opportunistic and not some long term, well thought out masterplan. [/quote

I agree yea I do  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst or Bignot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.