Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Police Today - Why?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 213 Guests

Police Today - Why?

This thread currently has 5,107 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2017, 7:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
After watching Town across 5 decades there has been times when I have walked away from games thinking is it worth it? That feeling has arisen usually due to a poor display by the team or shocking refereeing but today was different.

The Police presence today was completely over the top. I love going away to watch Town but am not sure any longer if I want to visit grounds to see Police officers dressed like they are about to take on some form of riot in a revolutionary state. I get that each game will have the odd trouble maker who can't drink in the afternoon but today was for too much.

They even had a crew in reserve as at half time they appeared to d some form of duty change with a load going out of the ground swapping with some incoming officers who again where dressed like a Action Men rather than bobby's.

Towards the end of the game when they all stood up from left to right I think I counted around 25 officers and possibly another half dozen in the stands. We may have "an element" as all clubs do but really?  

Not sure what to think about this other than after all these years I may give the away games a rest for a while if it means spending £20+ on a ticket to see a high vis and helmet parade each game.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
friskneymariner
September 9, 2017, 7:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,158
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from HertsGTFC
After watching Town across 5 decades there has been times when I have walked away from games thinking is it worth it? That feeling has arisen usually due to a poor display by the team or shocking refereeing but today was different.

The Police presence today was completely over the top. I love going away to watch Town but am not sure any longer if I want to visit grounds to see Police officers dressed like they are about to take on some form of riot in a revolutionary state. I get that each game will have the odd trouble maker who can't drink in the afternoon but today was for too much.

They even had a crew in reserve as at half time they appeared to d some form of duty change with a load going out of the ground swapping with some incoming officers who again where dressed like a Action Men rather than bobby's.

Towards the end of the game when they all stood up from left to right I think I counted around 25 officers and possibly another half dozen in the stands. We may have "an element" as all clubs do but really?  

Not sure what to think about this other than after all these years I may give the away games a rest for a while if it means spending £20+ on a ticket to see a high vis and helmet parade each game.  

Reached that point a couple of seasons ago,the last away matches I attended were Wycombe and Colchester last season,thought why should I make all this effort when the team doesn't.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2017, 7:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It's a simple opportunity for a bit of overtime Herts. Bonanza time. And maybe get an opportunity to crack a few heads. I think they call it job satisfaction.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
GrimRob
September 9, 2017, 7:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,399
Gold Stars: 113
The police obviously get a buzz out of it, it makes them feel important and gives them relatively easy prey to boost their crime figures. In the meantime, your house gets broken into by a professional burglar or your kids get sold drugs by a sophisticated crime syndicate and they are awkward and dangerous crimes to solve. I know I'd rather video a few football fans making vaguely obscene gestures than entering the criminal underworld and trying to weed out the malevolent dross of society.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 27
Jaws
September 9, 2017, 7:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Notts County will be the same I fear, same police force.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
Mrs Doyle
September 9, 2017, 7:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Oh well at least here imp fans will just have stewards to put up with strutting their stuff in the ground that should be interesting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
stevethefish
September 9, 2017, 7:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
I agree that it seems to be escalating in presence, which at the same time the atmosphere at away games doesn't seem as much fun as before. Not just down to poor team performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
September 9, 2017, 8:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob
The police obviously get a buzz out of it, it makes them feel important and gives them relatively easy prey to boost their crime figures. In the meantime, your house gets broken into by a professional burglar or your kids get sold drugs by a sophisticated crime syndicate and they are awkward and dangerous crimes to solve. I know I'd rather video a few football fans making vaguely obscene gestures than entering the criminal underworld and trying to weed out the malevolent dross of society.

Absoulutely excellent post Rob, outstanding. Too drunk to respond properly, but nice and absolutely correct.
Reply: 7 - 27
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2017, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It's a simple opportunity for a bit of overtime Herts. Bonanza time. And maybe get an opportunity to crack a few heads. I think they call it job satisfaction.

I can live with the team being crap away but take exception to the authorities (away club/Police Managers) thinking I'm scum because I wear a Town shirt.

I have nothing against the individual constables as despite the odd bad apple they generally do a difficult job outside of football often unarmed against some "real scum" who would have no hesitation to commit serious real crime.against us and them.

This is where we have got to, it ironic at best. At half time I went down the front behind the goal and a copper started talking to me, nothing threatening but just making a bit of conversation as I was on my phone looking at half times, seemed like a nice lad, then a steward came over and told me "I could not stand there" FFS I was stood next to a copper having a reasonable mature conversation what was I going to do cosh him with my beer belly and bomb the pitch?

Not the fault of the individuals but the decision makers I feel   

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Jaws
September 9, 2017, 8:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Looks like Mansfield agree too

http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32104

Feel free to tweet their Football Police account

https://twitter.com/MansPolFootball
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Police Today - Why?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.