This thread currently has 22,092 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
September 9, 2017, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Vernon's had more decent perform*ances than bad, he's a good support striker, if he's somehow become No 1 striker and *///////////expected to score goals week in week out then I expect it's news to him. Hooper will only ever be 'a bit better than we expected, which was rubbish' and I only hope that Matt steps forward and grabs his chance.
So I feel for Vernon, asked to play his support striker role, supporting a so-far invisible somewhat lethargic strike force.

For me, Vernon is not the problem, not even in the top 10 problems currently facing this haphazard lineup.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 137
stevethefish
September 9, 2017, 6:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
I did think first penalty was harsh and for the first 10 minutes of 2nd half had 3 good chances - Berrett from quick thinking free kick, vernon who should have headed rather than bring down and dembele after a great run into the box.

Once we missed all three of them - it was obvious we'd missed our opportunity having been on the front foot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 137
stevethefish
September 9, 2017, 6:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Why on earth was rose and jones kicking off about taking the penalty ???? That was really weird?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 137
Jaws
September 9, 2017, 6:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
What's milky defending?
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 137
stevethefish
September 9, 2017, 6:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Having just watched the highlights in even more drunk off about our really weak defending this season.

It's unacceptable and needs sorting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 137
lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2017, 6:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,708
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Ah! So i'm only pretending to know anything about football, thinking Vernon is a clever player. If only i had your football knowledge.

Don't go off on one! Perhaps I should have worded it better - I don't agree that he is a clever player is probably better. It is all about opinions, as ever.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 137
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2017, 6:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
So what to make of that then? I am going to post without reading anything above just to see if I saw it the same way as anyone else.

First half  I actually thought that it was pretty even between 2 average sides, the only difference was the ref who from early doors got sucked into their policy of hitting the deck upon any contact from a Town player which resulted in a soft penalty and a lead for the hosts. Neither side could work out if they where going to win the game with the ball on the ground or in the air which resulted in a poor quality 45.

In the second half our week in week out frailties really told as we could not retain possession, failed to take responsibility at the back, made poor decisions with the ball at our feet and after the 2nd lacked any form of application and leadership which led to a soft 3rd and another soft penalty.

Our poor passing & movement off the ball & inability to gain and retain possession in the middle of the pitch coupled with poor decision making is resulting in a lack of quality that means in front of goal in reality we are toothless up front.

The thing that concerns me most is that this group look like they have no spine from front to back, we have a keeper who is capable of brilliance & stupidity within the same minute, no established CB partnership, a mid field that cannot influence a game for more than a minute or two at a time and still no credible goal scorer.

Some of our predicament is no doubt down to the manager but today the players once again need to share some accountability too. Everyone involved in the playing side of GTFC needs to up their game now, and quickly as this crop look like they do not have the stomach for a relegation fight.

Overall, fans made the effort and turned up its a real shame the players chose not to.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 137
arryarryarry
September 9, 2017, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So what to make of that then? I am going to post without reading anything above just to see if I saw it the same way as anyone else.

First half  I actually thought that it was pretty even between 2 average sides, the only difference was the ref who from early doors got sucked into their policy of hitting the deck upon any contact from a Town player which resulted in a soft penalty and a lead for the hosts. Neither side could work out if they where going to win the game with the ball on the ground or in the air which resulted in a poor quality 45.

In the second half our week in week out frailties really told as we could not retain possession, failed to take responsibility at the back, made poor decisions with the ball at our feet and after the 2nd lacked any form of application and leadership which led to a soft 3rd and another soft penalty.

Our poor passing & movement off the ball & inability to gain and retain possession in the middle of the pitch coupled with poor decision making is resulting in a lack of quality that means in front of goal in reality we are toothless up front.

The thing that concerns me most is that this group look like they have no spine from front to back, we have a keeper who is capable of brilliance & stupidity within the same minute, no established CB partnership, a mid field that cannot influence a game for more than a minute or two at a time and still no credible goal scorer.

Some of our predicament is no doubt down to the manager but today the players once again need to share some accountability too. Everyone involved in the playing side of GTFC needs to up their game now, and quickly as this crop look like they do not have the stomach for a relegation fight.

Overall, fans made the effort and turned up its a real shame the players chose not to.

With regard to the first penalty Mills put in a foot and missed the ball and looks to catch their player, he made no complaint to the ref so I assume it was a penalty or he didn't give a toss that it was one.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 137
arryarryarry
September 9, 2017, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jaws
What's milky defending?

I was wondering that as well.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 137
arryarryarry
September 9, 2017, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from stevethefish
Hooper won two headers today. That was worth my trip back to Essex

sodomist, I must have missed one.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.