lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2017, 6:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Hagrid
Do agree the abuse at vernon was uncalled for. Mainly by younger fans who dont appreciate what he brings. And yes fleabag, you called Hurst every name under the sun whilst he was here, now you're there lapping up the losses and lickig his backside. Take your silly wind ups somewhere else

I didn't go so cannot comment on any abuse Vernon got. What I do know having seen a lot of him since he has been here is that people are pretending to know a lot about the game by saying he is a clever player, and what he brings to the team, which from what I have seen is practically zero.

He doesn't win any headers, is far too slow in thought and deed, doesn't score and doesn't lead the line. His best days are obviously behind him.

I thought Slade was a decent enough appointment, but I assumed he was going to be backed up with enough funds  to get the quality players he wanted. In hindsight we would have been better off trying to keep Hurst. Why did he leave? He must have been seriously fed up with our set up to make such  a move after being here that length of time  and building things up nicely.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 137
arryarryarry
September 9, 2017, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from SteveL
At least Vernon put in a shift which is more than can be said for Hooper. I have to agree though that his decision making and finishing in and around the box was shocking today. He is definitely lacking in confidence and I'd say that the team as a whole seems to lack belief.

I don't think it has anything to do with belief, I just don't think most of the players Slade has brought in are good enough, Clarke, Hooper, Dixon, Rose and Kelly.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 137
Hagrid
September 9, 2017, 6:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
We've signed players used to losing games. Who are familiar with relegation, unfamiliar with winnings games. You sign losers, thats what you become
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 137
friskneymariner
September 9, 2017, 6:13pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Hagrid
We've signed players used to losing games. Who are familiar with relegation, unfamiliar with winnings games. You sign losers, thats what you become

Exactly.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 137
ginnywings
September 9, 2017, 6:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548

I didn't go so cannot comment on any abuse Vernon got. What I do know having seen a lot of him since he has been here is that people are pretending to know a lot about the game by saying he is a clever player, and what he brings to the team, which from what I have seen is practically zero.

He doesn't win any headers, is far too slow in thought and deed, doesn't score and doesn't lead the line. His best days are obviously behind him.

I thought Slade was a decent enough appointment, but I assumed he was going to be backed up with enough funds  to get the quality players he wanted. In hindsight we would have been better off trying to keep Hurst. Why did he leave? He must have been seriously fed up with our set up to make such  a move after being here that length of time  and building things up nicely.

Ah! So i'm only pretending to know anything about football, thinking Vernon is a clever player. If only i had your football knowledge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 137
MuddyWaters
September 9, 2017, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
I'm away so can't comment on today's performance. What I've seen so far this season is an average group of players struggling to form a team that might just about survive in League 2. Losing 4-1 to a club that has spent heavily shouldn't be a surprise, nor should it surprise us that we have again rebuilt a squad that needed minor addition rather than major surgery.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 137
Mendonca1995
September 9, 2017, 6:27pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Vernon NOT good enough simple someone who struggled to get in the side last season and scored 2 goals somehow becomes our 1st choice striker ??? Not looking good and haven't since chesterfield we're I didn't think both sides played well there either despite a 3-1 win very worrying for me hope this will change UTM  

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 137
stevethefish
September 9, 2017, 6:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
Hopper won two headers today. That was worth my trip back to Essex
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 137
stevethefish
September 9, 2017, 6:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
Hooper won two headers today. That was worth my trip back to Essex
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 137
moosey_club
September 9, 2017, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Well for my two penneth...Bullitt pretty much nailed it in his previous post...

seemed to be a lack of desire throughout, very flat footed, no anticipation a million miles away from last week.

There just wasnt a spark about our play at all, a couple of purple patches were we pressed higher up like we did last week and pinned them back but overall blunt and slow. The one bit of inventive, quick thinking play we drummed up was when Siriki took a quick free kick and slipped in Berrett, who couldnt hit the target from about 10 freekin yds. Think that was at 0-1 so could have been a different game completely.

Disappointing that Slade didnt see that Hooper and Vernon were not at the races today and change that earlier, worrying that Mill's injury was described as hamstring , could be a long one and we are weak in fullback department, worrying that Woolford is deemed better than Kelly   ,
embarrassing that the most fight our players showed in 90 mins was over the ball for the penalty.

The team needs pace and power in the attacking third and some flair/drive from centre mid. Some of that we may have in DJ, Tombola, Matt but with what we have available in central midfielders means we will probably be light in there for some time.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.