This thread currently has 22,086 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
September 9, 2017, 4:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I agree there wasn't much in the game first half with both sides looking limited. Unfortunately the first goal is so vital and Stags got it. Although we hoped for a response I think deep down many of us just knew it wasn't going to happen.
That shows flaws in character, little or no response when they go behind. They should have been using the perceived 'injustice' of the penalty to have a go, instead they fell apart. Happens far too often.
Not sure who was supposed to be picking up Pearce(?) for the 2nd, but I think I was closer and was sat at the other end!

Accrington are flying and we have to go there on Tuesday.

Stick Jamille Matt up top with Sam Jones and go out and attack from the start in the hope that we can get that first goal and put some pressure on the opposition.

I can't stand the thought of more change and disagree with any calls to change the manager but would love to see the major shareholder take some sustained questionin.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 137
sydney
September 9, 2017, 4:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Not much to be positive about
Stanley on form at min so need something before Tue
Feeling Fed Up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 137
headingly_mariner
September 9, 2017, 5:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113
Well that was a disappointing game although I certainly think they were flattered by the 4-1. We had quite a bit of the play but we are toothless at the minute, we also seem massively suspect from set pieces.
Would love to see the pens again, the first looked a dive and the 2nd very soft. Our own was nailed on and we should've had another. We weren't very good and we've had a hammering but it's early days yet, for some people to turn so quickly on some players is a bit pathetic. Slagging them off at the game won't make them any better.

A word for the huge police presence. What a totally unecessary and over the top showing. Why so many? Why were they in the stand and not behind the barriers? How much did that cost? Completely unbelievable numbers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 137
friskneymariner
September 9, 2017, 5:07pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,158
Gold Stars: 38
Jamile Matt  must be very bad if Slade rates Vernon and Hooper better than him.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 137
LH
September 9, 2017, 5:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from fleabag1970
Meanwhile over at Shrewsbury

Remember when this bore was going on about operation play off a couple of seasons ago - now a Hurst fan.

Anyway:

Before their first penalty (which was a dive by the way as proven by the high five after he'd won it) it looked to have been heading for a bore draw. At half time it looked to be in the balance and maybe we could have got something. Unfortunately this is Town and we forgot that we had to defend our goal at attack theirs.

All of the goals coming from set pieces is worrying. Mansfield under Evans are always going to be looking for free kicks and penalties and we played right into their hands with regards to that.

For whatever reason it just didn't click for us up front today as it had last week and it looked like Vernon and Hooper had met for the first time in the tunnel before kick off.

Finally; there were people getting on Vernon's back for being "flipping useless" as the Mansfield fans had sung at us. This was harsh I thought but little did I know it would get worse.

A small group started "We want Sladey out" - again maybe harsh (the problems he faces are from higher up in the club than he has control of, IMO) but a well known Town fan I was stood with told these fans to shut up. I took a look at my phone and a few seconds later I was hit with chewing gum pellets from some bloke near the group chanting, narrowly missing my eye.

To you: you are a disgrace and I'm embarrased for you that you are incapable of giving any sort of civilised response back and have to resort to acting like the ape that you did. I am also embarrassed of you for proving why we need a police presence at games (although the police weren't useful whatsoever and just- stood gawping at it all happening). I don't want to share a stand with this sort of neanderthal anymore and unfortunately for you you have been named by your fellow fans.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 137
barralad
September 9, 2017, 5:17pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from friskneymariner
Jamile Matt  must be very bad if Slade rates Vernon and Hooper better than him.

Vernon and Hooper did well enough last week. Had Slade changed a winning side he'd have been hammered on here. Talking to people before kick off nobody thought he should have changed those two.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 137
friskneymariner
September 9, 2017, 5:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,158
Gold Stars: 38
Well if those two are best striking option then we are in trouble.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 137
MuddyWaters
September 9, 2017, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

The official line with Bignot was that JF had "lost faith in him".

How much faith has he in Slade and Wilko right now?

Hands up if you lost faith in Fenty!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 137
dapperz fun pub
September 9, 2017, 5:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,905
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hands up if you lost faith in Fenty!

🙌
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 137
Mrbump53
September 9, 2017, 5:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Police presence will be justified by the fact that 5 mins into the match one town "fan" was asked to sit down as the people behind could not see. His immediate reaction was to have a go at the steward and then at the policeman who asked him to sit down. Result ? He was arrested and taken from the ground. The group of "fans" 20 feet away who objected to this and then had a go at the police. Result ? A number of them got arrested and taken away. Police will call that as the number of police being justifiable.

Meanwhile the game wasn't good to watch. We seemed to be doing things slowly whereas the Mansfield players were quick to close us down, quick to pass the ball and also quick to fall down when challenged ! First penalty was dubious as little contact. Second one looked equally dubious. Ours looked less certain than the handball. Score flattered them but we simply weren't good enough and that is not really acceptable. The subs seemed to be the best town players !

We need to rethink tactics (or come up with some! ) otherwise it is going to a long season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.