14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
September 10, 2017, 2:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Yeah there was some spouting ridiculous criticism for us signing a load of non league players, and instead we should be targeting league 1 players.

Well for those people I hope you are enjoying the performances of those league 1 players we signed this close season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 137
Marinerz93
September 10, 2017, 3:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
People saying 4-1 flattered Mansfield, not in the slightest, Mansfield coasted this game as our players gave up long before the final whistle, no fight, no guile as the Town fans chanted flipping useless.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 137
grimsby pete
September 10, 2017, 4:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Will he, how do you know? I assume you mean Akeem?

Yes I was getting a bit confused ,

Can I start again,,?

Bignot signed Akeem Rose that's right isn't it ?

I am only going on reports that he could be a very decent player.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 137
Davec
September 10, 2017, 5:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Well what a shambles that was, I didn't even think Mansfield were all that great but they didn't need to be, spineless, gutless and passionless.

You could argue that their 2 pens were relatively soft but needless silly challenges in the first place.

I didn't share the view of many after the Crewe game, I thought we was decent ish but that's all, certainly not anything to get excited  about and I thought Hooper was half decent, that's all, but yesterday Hooper was abysmal, he shows little effort and he has slightly more ability than effort but even that isn't enough. Woolford I know isn't match fit yet but I can't see him making a massive difference when he is, very slow when in possession. The Old Codger will be pleased to know that I thought Berrett was our best outfield player but he'll be upset to also learnt I thought he was only average still, the others were even worse.

We are a very very poor team with a distinct lack of quality in every position and yes I do predict we are in a relegation battle.

Makes me wonder how we got like this, well let's review the situation.

Firstly you got to look at Slade and Wilkinson, both has extensive contacts and experience at higher league but the past couple of years both has been on a downward spiral which shows little or no sign of slowing down.

Then we need to look at the players they have signed.
Ben Killip- untried rookie who Luton didn't fancy as their 3rd choice keeper.
Karleigh Osborne- looks alright on first showings admittedly but 2 games in the past 2 seasons is extremely underwhelming, that caused by injuries or otherwise it is concerning.
Nathan Clarke- vast experience at a higher level but by all accounts has struggled these last few seasons and Coventry fans didn't rate him one bit last season and I have yet to be impressed by him at all, past it? It certainly looks that way.
Paul Dixon- again vast experience at a higher level but by the sounds of it there wasn't exactly a queue of clubs after his signature, Dundee fans reckoned he was a shadow of his former self these past couple of years, supposed to have a terrific left foot but his crossing is average at best so far, downward spiral? It would certainly seem that way so far.
Mitch Rose -one of the best summer signings so far, but he still has glaring weaknesses in his game, Summerfield is much maligned for giving the ball away but does he do it anymore than Rose? I'm not sure.
Dembele- looks a real deal admittedly but again untried and his end product looks lacking and it doesn't look good when our best player is a 20 year old who has less than 10 games experience in football.
Kelly- when Port Vale released him they all thought he would drop down into non league but yet we gave him a 2 year deal with Wilkinson proudly saying how he'll take us up to the next level, he is a fairy, a coward and a chicken.
Woolford- again extensive experience at higher leagues but done nothing these past few leagues and again nobody else wanted him did they, could come good but on paper pretty uninspiring signing.
Jaiyesimi (spelling) looks half decent so far but again untried with virtually zero experience.
Hooper- again when Port Vale released him their fans seemed sure he would drop down into the conference but no Slade gave him a 2 year deal, lazy, isn't interested with average ability.
Jamille Matt - looks half decent on paper, but can he produce? We'll have to see.

Add all that onto Berrett and Summerfield etc, our squad looks poor on paper and on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 137
ginnywings
September 10, 2017, 5:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,105
Gold Stars: 548
But apart from all that...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 137
Swansea_Mariner
September 10, 2017, 6:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from ginnywings

lol Ginny! We do have some bright spots though, Sam Jones, Collins, Mills and yes I'm going to say it Mckeown are all decent. Jamie Osborne is a class player and will be back before Xmas and hopefully Asante proves to be the player we are all hopeing he is. That's more than we had in 2009/10, so we may avoid the worst.

Let's hope some of Slades signings can really step up to the plate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 137
forza ivano
September 10, 2017, 6:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,158
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

I haven't seen them yet this season, so honest question. is aaron far wrong ginny?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 137
lew chaterleys lover
September 10, 2017, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano

I haven't seen them yet this season, so honest question. is aaron far wrong ginny?

Apologies to Ginny but it is so hard to say! We looked ok away at Chesterfield,which on paper seemed to be a very difficult game first up.

Against Crewe we weren't too bad either; they were unbeaten, one of our bogey teams yet they looked rubbish and we did ok.

Against Derby and Doncaster we were ok, but in the rest we have been very poor. We are either a new team yet to fully gel, or we are a poor team which will find it hard. I suppose we need another 10 games to see which one it will be.    
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 137
ginnywings
September 10, 2017, 7:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,105
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

Not as good as i'd hoped, but not as bad a some are claiming. Early days yet and there were promising signs against Crewe i thought. Don't look relegation material to me, despite some of our obvious failings. We've got some good players in the wings and there is more to come from this bunch in my view. I'm not looking for the noose just yet.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 137
arryarryarry
September 10, 2017, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from forza ivano

Good summing up for me and on most of the players exactly how I see them.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 137
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.