September 4, 2017, 9:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from promotion plaice

Germany  1-5  England  

Yeah, even more staggering is we were one of the teams to beat them and in their own back yard. Thrashed them in fact but i don't think they have lost a qualifier since and have won the odd tournament or three.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
Gaffer58
September 4, 2017, 9:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Says it all, Neville gives man if the match to Henderson, and the commentator quoted Southgate saying Jones is our best defender, how far in technical and quality terms are we behind the Germans, Spain etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
Mariner_09
September 4, 2017, 9:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I'll never ever believe the media hype about our players. Every tournament we go to we say we're going to do better than last time and invariably we fail, it's been getting worse and worse throughout my lifetime. Conversely, we always go to tournaments and the same pundits who big up England tell us the Germany and particularly Italy are not what they used to be and won't do as well as they normally and equally as invariably they get to the last 8 at the very least.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
ginnywings
September 4, 2017, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'll never ever believe the media hype about our players. Every tournament we go to we say we're going to do better than last time and invariably we fail, it's been getting worse and worse throughout my lifetime. Conversely, we always go to tournaments and the same pundits who big up England tell us the Germany and particularly Italy are not what they used to be and won't do as well as they normally and equally as invariably they get to the last 8 at the very least.

Get used to it mate. I've been waiting since 1966 to see an England team look like they can win a tournament again. Ever since we muffed it against the Krauts in 1970, it's been a perpetual disappointment. Muffed it against the Krauts a couple of more times along the way too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
kevikov
September 4, 2017, 10:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 13
Not sure which is worse tbf, the football or the punditry. All of them just there for the copious amounts of money being thrown about.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
Abdul19
September 4, 2017, 10:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd say that they've knocked Chelsea out on 2 of the past 3 seasons so they are better than our lot. You get my drift regardless

It was more the youth system bit instead of spending extortionate amounts of money that I was referring to, but yes, I do!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
Posh Harry
September 5, 2017, 6:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Mariner_09

Actually I think the expectation has been much lower in both the media and the public since probably the farce of 2010. Since then I don't think the media think we are anymore than quarter final fodder and I don't think many of us do either. Actually it makes a nice change to go into a tournament with low expectations. Makes the disappointment much easier to take 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
1mickylyons
September 5, 2017, 7:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
England have usually gone into tournaments with a few World Class players and a strong defence and goalkeeper which means they have a chance on paper.Looking at the current England squad Rashford and Alli might one day be World Class and possibly Kane the rest are average at best and the defence and goalkeeper positions are weaker than I can ever remember?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
Maringer
September 5, 2017, 8:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,404
Gold Stars: 184
When the manager is apparently saying Phil Jones is our best defender, you know there's a problem somewhere.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
Abdul19
September 5, 2017, 10:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
I'm not sure why anyone believes media hype about England. In 67 years we've been close to winning, what, 3 tournaments? And 2 of those were here!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.