Mariner_09
September 5, 2017, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Maringer
Well, we always had at least two or three clubs outspending us, often by a lot, so no great surprise we didn't pop straight back up. I actually thought we were a better team the season before we finally won promotion and deserved it more that year than the following. We just managed to put the results together that time (and without the terrible refereeing decisions going against us either).

I think he's a good manager. Certainly not a great one but perfectly capable. It's a real achievement for anyone to win promotion from the Conference, it's such a tight league at the top end. Many managers have failed there, often after spending a heck of a lot more money than Hurst ever did.

I'd agree with that entirely. Stick Podge in that side instead of Pittman or Palmer for the whole season and I think we would have been as well.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 103
Bigdog
September 5, 2017, 7:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Hurst is capable to a point as a manager, I'm not a big fan, but the sad fact is that he's been by far the best we've had for donkey's years. Really depressing when you think how long it is.. We've been treated to some c rap appointments over the years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 103
sydney
September 5, 2017, 9:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
If we had matched Shrews offer and kept Hurst and not spent even more money on two managers and two new teams would we have been in a stronger more settled position and looking forward to a more optimistic future ?
Hurst wasn't perfect but he lead a great team spirit and did achieve what he failed so narrowly to do 12 months before
I would have had him here still but don't wish him any success at Shrews as I'm a long in the tooth bitter Town fan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 103
KingstonMariner
September 5, 2017, 9:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
For me, Hurst could have achieved more with us, sooner if he hadn't been so damned negative in his tactics. I think we scraped back in to the Football League. Interesting that when we were doing badly under him we were always told by his fans that 'the season lasts 46 matches'. Now a handful of games in, the Shrews; results prove what a good manager he is.

And I'll never forget 5-1 at Braintree.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 103
MuddyWaters
September 5, 2017, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
By complete fluke I had a chat with him in the summer. Nice bloke but clearly felt he now has better backing than he had with us. Didn't like how he set us up and told him so, his response was that he would always rather draw than lose - very pragmatic but not necessarily what a Grimsby Town fan wants. I think several Town fans would rather us play well and lose than play dull ball and draw.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 103
grimsby pete
September 5, 2017, 11:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
The if he had stayed how good we have been is a no go,

He wanted to leave and took the first offer available,

Thank you Hursty and goodbye.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 103
UpTheMariners
September 5, 2017, 11:57pm
@Daniel_Rudd
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -6
Quoted from KingstonMariner
For me, Hurst could have achieved more with us, sooner if he hadn't been so damned negative in his tactics. I think we scraped back in to the Football League. Interesting that when we were doing badly under him we were always told by his fans that 'the season lasts 46 matches'. Now a handful of games in, the Shrews; results prove what a good manager he is.

Never forget it was 5-0

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 103
Brazilnut
September 6, 2017, 1:26am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from UpTheMariners

Never forget it was 5-0

and wasn't Hurst

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 103
HertsGTFC
September 6, 2017, 5:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Interesting to see the views on history. I actually think that you should judge Hurst on his time with GTFC when he had the job on his own as the 2 managers thing would never work.

So 13/14 - play offs but never really good enough with the players "they both" assembled

14/15 - robbed? Well we could not have got closer. Despite the romantics we where a better side the year after.

15/16 - promotion, maybe without storming the league but objective achieved

The football was not great but we where a non league team with non league players so in reality it's hardly every going to be a spectacle is it.

Legacy? - well if nothing else he got us out of a league that only has 2 promotion spots and brought through Bogle from what was supposedly a £50k but to a sale that may have been around 20 times that sum in 18 months.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 103
Rodley Mariner
September 6, 2017, 6:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Sounds like you might have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.