LongEatonMariner
September 3, 2017, 7:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from chaos33
Hurst has loaned my mate's son Ben Godfrey from Norwich and he's playing him, so might go check him/them out when they're at Donny or Scunny or Rotherham. Apparently Hurst tried to loan him when he was at Town but neither city or the player wanted to do it.

And that might be why he is successful in Shrewsbury ... geographically it is a more positive proposition that NE Lincs. Maybe he was giving the backing but many players didn't fancy it in Clee, pretty much all our managers have the same issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 103
dapperz fun pub
September 3, 2017, 8:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Garth
If he carries on like he is, it will be only a matter of time before he will be managing nearer home, Rotherham,Blades or Wednesday

Which as always been the aim according to a very good pal of his
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 103
chaos33
September 3, 2017, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

And that might be why he is successful in Shrewsbury ... geographically it is a more positive proposition that NE Lincs. Maybe he was giving the backing but many players didn't fancy it in Clee, pretty much all our managers have the same issue.

In this instance mate, that's not the case. There were some other circumstances around timings and cover, plus the chance of actually playing, and neither Norwich nor Godfrey wanted to play L2 football. L1 is obviously more attractive and better for his professional development given he has a long term future at Norwich.

Shrewsbury is pretty remote from Norwich in any case. With family in York, I don't think location was a factor, and I think it's overstated generally.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 103
Mrs Doyle
September 3, 2017, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
He's doing ok most like to knock Fenty but he did stick by him and gave him time to fulfill his mandate when most wanted him gone.

That's probably what made him bitter at Wembley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 103
Davec
September 4, 2017, 6:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Ben Godfrey is ex York City, he can never shake off that York connection can he
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 103
dapperz fun pub
September 4, 2017, 7:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
He's doing ok most like to knock Fenty but he did stick by him and gave him time to fulfill his mandate when most wanted him gone.

That's probably what made him bitter at Wembley.

That mandate took ages to fulfill and yes he got us promoted but not once did we challenge for the title. I personally think it was more like fenty had enough of the hassle of switching managers and started to get used to winning matches all be it against poor opposition. When he said we were lucky that's when I lost it with him tbh like many others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 103
Maringer
September 4, 2017, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,403
Gold Stars: 184
Don't forget, folks, Hurst will never achieve anything in management and, when he does, it is just down to luck and nothing to do with his decisions or signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 103
LongEatonMariner
September 4, 2017, 10:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from chaos33

In this instance mate, that's not the case. There were some other circumstances around timings and cover, plus the chance of actually playing, and neither Norwich nor Godfrey wanted to play L2 football. L1 is obviously more attractive and better for his professional development given he has a long term future at Norwich.

Shrewsbury is pretty remote from Norwich in any case. With family in York, I don't think location was a factor, and I think it's overstated generally.

Fair point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 103
grimsby pete
September 4, 2017, 10:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer
Don't forget, folks, Hurst will never achieve anything in management and, when he does, it is just down to luck and nothing to do with his decisions or signings.

Hurst knows the game inside out and his teams will always be organised,

BUT

He let himself down while with us by calling one or two fans moaning at him from the main stand but not praising the great support he got from the thousand of others,

His pre and post match interviews were as dull as ditch water,

Will he get promoted with Shrewsbury ?

I don't care I am glad he is not here at least Bignot gave us a laugh at the interviews and Slade talks a lot of sense.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 103
Mariner_09
September 4, 2017, 10:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I don't care how managers sound in interviews, Slade has never got a side promoted and Hurst did despite our endless criticism of him. He's now managed to get his side to start the season well and in the league above us, considering they were 8 points adrift or whatever it was when he took over shows that he's been going a very good job.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shrews

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.