ginnywings
September 2, 2017, 5:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Much better.

For the first home game this season, we didn't look second best and deservedly won. Thought Osborne had a great full debut at the back and the others in defence were solid too. Woolford looked a little off the pace but you can tell he's a decent player. Reports of Hooper's sh1teness are greatly exaggerated, thought he had a good solid game, but for me the MOM was the goalscorer Rose, who i thought had an excellent game. Puts out a lot of fires and always seems to be where the ball is, which is a good sign in a player.

Vernon made us tick much better up front and he is a very clever footballer. He was missed in his absence. Dembele had some good moments but the end product isn't there from him yet. Matt looked a handful for their tiring defence and looks to be a decent change striker.

All round, much more balanced and with a better game plan. Not sure if Crewe were average or we made them look average, but apart from one scare, they didn't really threaten. We didn't look like a side which will be at the wrong end of the table on the showing today. Promising.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 2, 2017, 5:34pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

Great all round team performance and a much needed win, hard to pick... but stand out performers for me....Osborne and dare I say it...Hooper.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 140
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2017, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Much better - especially Hooper - Woolford, though rusty was a massive improvement on Kelly. Rose & Berrett always looked to have options today and therefore we kept the ball better. Hard to pick out an MOM - probably Osborne for me though Clarke looked more comfortable with him than he has with Collins.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 140
Mariner Ronnie
September 2, 2017, 5:43pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Glad to put that bogey to bed.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 140
gobby
September 2, 2017, 5:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Much improved. Happy.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 140
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2017, 5:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good to get the win and what sounds a better performance.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 140
barralad
September 2, 2017, 5:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
So much better than the previous home games. Difficult to single players out in a very good all-round team performance. Macca made a great stop late on in that one on one, only bettered by Osbourne's straight after which prevented a certain goal. Both full backs did their defensive duties well and Mills was extremely unlucky with the effort that hit the bar. Osbourne was immense at the back and must surely start next week. It is hard to see Collins and Clarke starting together any time soon. Rose looks a real find and Woolford will get fitter and better. Vernon led the line well and Hooper was a revelation. He put himself about, had plenty of good touches and his movement was much better. Crewe had no idea what to do with Dembele.
If I'm being picky I thought we should have had more shots when in good positions but we did more than enough to win the game.
Two up front simply has to be the start point, at least at home. Not much evidence of hoof-ball today.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 140
chaos33
September 2, 2017, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 357
Absolutely agree with Barralad.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 140
LH
September 2, 2017, 6:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
Deserved winners today. Lots of good performances about but I'll give MOTM to Rose. A good start to the season for him and looks like he might be important. Hope he can lose the yellow card he keeps getting because we'll miss him. Really good work rate from Vernon and Hooper - the latter being rightly criticised for lacking effort in recent games but he's set himself a high bar to maintain today. We look so much more comfortable and threatening with two up front and I feel we have missed Vernon's work ethic in the time he's been out.

It wasn't completely brilliant. I still think we should have signed a left sided defender. Dixon is very no frills and I think that was apparent a couple of times today. We still lack athleticism and pace at the back but I was impressed with Osbourne today - very old school in his no nonsense approach and a bit quicker than our other centre halves.

I didn't think Crewe were very good at all. There must be aome awful teams about in the league if they went into this unbeaten! Ref wasn't the worst despite having to blow two full time whistles. A clean sheet and eleven men finishing a game was unexpected this morning but it makes me feel a lot better about this season if only for this week!

Finally I hope the injured player is ok. You could tell it was a bad one by the speed at which the medical staff were called for and the oxygen came on.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 140
Mrs Doyle
September 2, 2017, 6:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Yes agree with everything said massive improvement, better finishing and final ball would have seen us clear by a bigger margin.

Looked better with two players up front plenty of chances.

At the back Clark.Mills and particularly Osborne looked very solid.

Rose is looking better every game and took his goal well.

Macca made a couple of crucial saves when called upon.  Dembele was almost unstoppable the ball seems glued to his feet just lacking a finish but it will come.

Sat in the main behind the dug out must say their manager was a real twhat for once the officials seemed unbiased but he was constantly nagging at the fourth official.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 140
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.