4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2017, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Clifton, Keeble, Sawyer, Akheem Rose & Wright wil be on low money, Asante & McAllister are always injured.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
Swansea_Mariner
September 1, 2017, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Warning: back of the homosexual packet calcs!

So that leaves 5 fit senior players sat in the stands then,or put it this way propably around 1/4 million a year.  

Once you add in the 5 young pros and those two injured its likely to be 350-400k for players not in our match day squad.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
Swansea_Mariner
September 1, 2017, 1:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Haha the swear filter is funny!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
pizzzza
September 1, 2017, 1:39pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

So that leaves 5 fit senior players sat in the stands then,or put it this way propably around 1/4 million a year.  

You think our 1st teamers are on 50k a year? Unlikely I'd say.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
mariner91
September 1, 2017, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,581
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from pizzzza

You think our 1st teamers are on 50k a year? Unlikely I'd say.

Our first teamers possibly are but I highly doubt that the average we pay is a grand a week even if you don't include the youngsters who will be on very little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
gtfc98
September 1, 2017, 2:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
I bet Dembele is on peanuts at the minute too. Couple of hundred quid a week.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
Mariner_09
September 1, 2017, 2:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
SInce he had a bad injury last year and had Stevenage and us after him, plus being an effectively "new player" because he'd only ever been at the Nike Academy. He'll be on next to nowt, Rose will be on less than Dis I guess

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
mariner91
September 1, 2017, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,581
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Once you add in the 5 young pros and those two injured its likely to be 350-400k for players not in our match day squad.

So are you suggesting that we should only have 18 players in order to not have to pay players who aren't in the match day squad?  Unless you've got injuries and suspensions you will nearly always have some fit players sat in the stands because you'd be mental to only have a squad of 18.

The minimum size of a squad in L2 seems to be 20 senior players with some youth teamers propping it up. Morecambe, who almost certainly have one of the lowest budgets in the league, have got a squad of 28. Barnet have a squad of 35. Stevenage have a squad of 28. Crawley have a squad of 26. Cheltenham have 25. Out of all the teams who I'm fairly confident have a lower budget than we do only Yeovil and Accrington have got significantly smaller squads, both having 21 registered players.

With the transfer window now meaning that you can't loan players between September and January, most teams seem to be stockpiling a little bit in order to avoid any real injury or suspension crises. Has to make you question the point of the transfer window but that's a different argument. Bearing in mind we can't get anyone else in now should we find ourselves with injuries, to moan about having fit players sat in the stands seems a bit moronic to me because people would undoubtedly moan if we couldn't field a full bench at any point.

I can understand if people moan about the balance of the squad which I don't think is very good and I can also understand if people moan about the quality. It does seem like we've made some panic signings or regretted previous signings so signed players purely because they've become available, why else would you sign a fifth winger or a sixth striker when you only play one at a time? But we also have some long term absentees and players who there are doubts will ever actually get fit for us and given the new rules you can see why clubs stockpile players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
Gaffer58
September 1, 2017, 3:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I believe that ev n prem teams have to name a squad of only 24 or 25, otherwise your Chelsea's Man U's etc would have at least squads of 40+. Slade's going to have to buy a lot of Xmas presents this year.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
Swansea_Mariner
September 1, 2017, 4:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

So are you suggesting that we should only have 18 players in order to not have to pay players who aren't in the match day squad?  Unless you've got injuries and suspensions you will nearly always have some fit players sat in the stands because you'd be mental to only have a squad of 18.

The minimum size of a squad in L2 seems to be 20 senior players with some youth teamers propping it up. Morecambe, who almost certainly have one of the lowest budgets in the league, have got a squad of 28. Barnet have a squad of 35. Stevenage have a squad of 28. Crawley have a squad of 26. Cheltenham have 25. Out of all the teams who I'm fairly confident have a lower budget than we do only Yeovil and Accrington have got significantly smaller squads, both having 21 registered players.

With the transfer window now meaning that you can't loan players between September and January, most teams seem to be stockpiling a little bit in order to avoid any real injury or suspension crises. Has to make you question the point of the transfer window but that's a different argument. Bearing in mind we can't get anyone else in now should we find ourselves with injuries, to moan about having fit players sat in the stands seems a bit moronic to me because people would undoubtedly moan if we couldn't field a full bench at any point.

I can understand if people moan about the balance of the squad which I don't think is very good and I can also understand if people moan about the quality. It does seem like we've made some panic signings or regretted previous signings so signed players purely because they've become available, why else would you sign a fifth winger or a sixth striker when you only play one at a time? But we also have some long term absentees and players who there are doubts will ever actually get fit for us and given the new rules you can see why clubs stockpile players.

Of those squads you quote how many are over the age of 21?

I'm not suggesting a squad of 18 more like 21 with a couple of young pros so max 25.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.