Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
i just hope his mums ok with it all

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 96
Mariner93er
September 2, 2017, 8:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Obviously it appears the players weren't happy due to training methods, man management and probably team selections. But when you hear what he did at Solihull, it makes sense. Maybe it was just a big test, seeing how players respond to certain situations. In the end, I'm sure he got his answers, which led to his sacking. Interestingly, those players that did go to fenty have either left or are currently playing excrement, so maybe the answers he got were the correct ones, and his method did work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 96
friskneymariner
September 2, 2017, 9:13am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Not forgetting Slade suddenly became available.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 96
Mallyner
September 2, 2017, 9:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I have never met the man, but a friend who is a big Mariners' supporter and has a newsagent Bignot used to frequent, said he is not the nice man he likes to portray.

Do successful managers need to be nice though?

Bignot did very well at Solihul and he worked extremely hard to achieve that success, so all credit to him for that. What he might have achieved here, we will never know.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 96
The Waif
September 2, 2017, 10:43am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +49
People can say what they want about Bignot's unorthodox management style, but I was much happier with the type of signings he made: Osborne, Clements, Asanate and Jones. Young, hungry players with ability and their future ahead of them. Apart from Dembele, that can't really be said for Slade's recent recruits!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 96
grimsby pete
September 2, 2017, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I loved Bignot when he came in he was such a refreshing change to Hurst,

BUT

As time went by I got a bit confused at what he was trying to do,

Having said that I am a bit confused what Slade is trying to do,

Maybe its an age thing.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 96
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2017, 11:30am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

The "board" let him sign the players it is true, but subsequently it became obvious his tenure was becoming a disaster. Not so much about results, but the training, player unrest and totally bizarre team selections/media comments convinced the "board" that they had backed the wrong man.

Slade has signed his own players like all managers, and obviously we will get rid of those surplus to requirements asap.

I am now beginning to think it might take Slade two seasons at least to get us properly sorted.

I still think it was too early. We were inconsistent on the pitch but not relegation fodder.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 96
wigworld
September 2, 2017, 11:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
He had a long term vision, and was quite open about the fact that it would take some time to deliver.

As infuriating as he was at times, I think we have to concede that he wasn't given the time he thought he had - presumably because his methods (and results) along the way didn't inspire any faith that his vision was any good.

Truth is, we'll never know if that vision would have delivered.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 96
Garth
September 2, 2017, 11:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Bignot`s approached every team selection with scatter gun tactics hoping to get lucky from the kick off, when that did not work he applied the rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic as Plan B and resorted to cheeky bullsh1t after match interviews that made no sense and soon became tiring.

Slade`s approach is experience players and forward planning that has not yet resulted in success, but at this moment I`d take it above Bignot`s asylum tactics with Gunning playing the leading role.
Time will tell whose right but I prefer the boring Slade/Wilki approach,  where against some tough opposition ie Higher League teams we have shown grit and promise,  and for the want of a goal scorer things would look better.
Onwards and upwards starting today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 96
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2017, 11:37am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The problem is Garth have we shown that grit and promise against the opposition that wasn't tough? Or any evidence of experience? We certainly didn't against Stevenage. It was half-arsed, disorganised shite.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus Bignot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.