10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
August 31, 2017, 9:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
A very strange chapter in our history, dont particularly hold any grudge against him as it was all over so quickly but will be interesting to keep an eye on the goings on over the next few months or so.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 96
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 31, 2017, 11:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,506
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from ginnywings
Wish him well. I thought he had something about him and all would have become clear had he been given the time.

Completely agree & whilst I was puzzled by some of his selections the post by Solihull fan puts a lot of his "team selections " into some kind of perspective. He was a young inexperienced manager who would always make mistakes but he, incorrectly, thought he had time and the backing of the owner to put his ideas into action with a view to building a side for this season.

Hindsight is showing that an experienced Manager like Slade has not found team building too easy and I believe under Bignot we would have signed some younger and hungrier players with sell on potential rather than a few of the more experienced guys RS has brought in.

That said, despite the poor start, its early days and I recall Exeter and Cambridge both had pretty awful starts last season with Exeter making play off final and Cambridge just missing out. With suspensions and currently unfit players returning I still believe we can put out a very competitive first eleven. Still wonder what MB would have put together but will never know so lets hope RS does know his best eleven pretty soon and we start to climb the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 96
Marinerz93
September 1, 2017, 12:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I liked MB's passion and desire to get this club moving upwards and from what fatharry says makes sense on what MB was doing because we were safe earlier than expected. I would have liked to see if he could replicate what he had did at Barrow like fatharry says.

I think that MB was going about business, was like him going into Fenty's play room and playing with his toys and making a mess. at least no ties were wiggled, chairs thrown or flags deconstructed.

Football under MB was like that scene from Forest Gump, but instead of life change for football, football under MB is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you was going to get.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 96
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2017, 9:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Should have been given longer. The apparent splurge in the January transfer window could only have been approved by the Board (either explicitly in someone signing off on the fees and contracts, or implicitly in delegating authority to the manager). The Board were responsible.

Of course it's all been different in the Summer transfer window. Slade has not signed nearly as many pla...eh, how many?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 96
HertsGTFC
September 1, 2017, 9:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Top and bottom of it with Bignot is that under his stewardship we mostly played sh1t. Often because of stupid selections like Donny at home or the complete lack of tactics.

Sadly I am not sure we are doing any better now.

What is a worry is the amount of Town fans that still confuse his cliche bullsh1t with "passion".

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 96
chaos33
September 1, 2017, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I agree with that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 96
Bigdog
September 1, 2017, 10:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If he'd have calmed himself down a bit, I think we'd have been in better shape than we are today. He could certainly pick out players with ability and potential. He was looking to build for the future while RS is scrapping around with players from the past trying to deal with today.

Still can't work out whether he'd have ended up being insanely amazing or amazingly insane.

Compared to what we've got now, I think I'd like to have found out..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 96
Mariner_09
September 1, 2017, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I don't think it was the unmitigated disaster that some make it to be. He made a couple of really good signings (Jones and Osborne) and produced three of the best four performances of the season (at Plymouth, Carlisle and at home to Mansfield) and we were comfortably safe by March under his premiership.

The down sides were rather stark mind you. His man management seemed to be disastrous, the McKeown post Stevenage and Henderson being thrown under the bus just spoke of amateurishness. JT heard of stories of a unhappy dressing room and I'd be staggered if the board didn't get Dave Moore's advice and I can hardly think that Dis and Pearson would be excrement stiring after all their time here. The tactics were non-existent on occasion.

Some of his other signings were unnecessary. Maxwell, Yussuf and Gunning either didn't play or were absolutely terrible, all waste of money which ever way you cut it.

Playing Davies at wing back was asking for trouble and the team selections at Pompey and at home to Donny in particular, with our best centre halves on the bench and Comley out wide were just baffling.

His interviews were about as much use as a pair of sunglasses on a bloke with one ear and he often said 10 million words but actually told us nothing and contradicted himself even within interviews sometimes, again post-Stevenage springs to mind.

He had his heart in the right place but perhaps needed to move to a higher end of Conference club or a low end league club before coming to a club with one of the biggest fanbases in this league. He might learn and come back stronger, but I can't help but feel we were on a one way ticket to the Conference with him at the helm.

However, I do feel that we may not moved off the line, I think we'll stay up, just, but it could be difficult and that has to bring into question the judgement those who appointed the managers.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 96
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2017, 10:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog
If he'd have calmed himself down a bit, I think we'd have been in better shape than we are today. He could certainly pick out players with ability and potential. He was looking to build for the future while RS is scrapping around with players from the past trying to deal with today.

Still can't work out whether he'd have ended up being insanely amazing or amazingly insane.

Compared to what we've got now, I think I'd like to have found out..

Are you saying Yesterday's Man who was planning for the Future would have been better than Today's Man from Yesteryear who's building for the Past?

I like that insane phrase you came up with. I think I'm going to nick it and use it at work.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 96
lew chaterleys lover
September 1, 2017, 11:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Should have been given longer. The apparent splurge in the January transfer window could only have been approved by the Board (either explicitly in someone signing off on the fees and contracts, or implicitly in delegating authority to the manager). The Board were responsible.

Of course it's all been different in the Summer transfer window. Slade has not signed nearly as many pla...eh, how many?

The "board" let him sign the players it is true, but subsequently it became obvious his tenure was becoming a disaster. Not so much about results, but the training, player unrest and totally bizarre team selections/media comments convinced the "board" that they had backed the wrong man.

Slade has signed his own players like all managers, and obviously we will get rid of those surplus to requirements asap.

I am now beginning to think it might take Slade two seasons at least to get us properly sorted.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus Bignot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.