FishOutOfWater
August 31, 2017, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner91

It's hardly as if PH kept the squad together! He tore it apart and we only had 5 left from the promotion winning squad. Of the players that remained, three have gone back to non-league. So to some extent we've had to do sign a lot of players and I really don't buy the above opinion that this has occurred since PH left and he is unaccountable. He deserves a large portion of the blame. Look at the squad that PH left:
- Macca and Henderson in goal (not too bad)
- Mills, Davies, Collins, Pearson, Gowling, Boyce, Jones, Andrew in defence. 5/8 of those have left with only 1 moving upwards deservedly and the others now playing in non-league so what does that tell you?
- Bolarinwa, Browne, Berrett, Chambers, Summerfield, Comley, Vose, McAllister, Disley in midfield. So four are left but two  (Berrett and Summerfield) are not good enough and one is a crock unfortunately. Comley wasn't good enough. Disley is now in the Conference North and was too old to be a mainstay. Chambers is in the Conference North. Browne it didn't work out. And Vose doesn't even have a club! So we're left with 1 fit and useful midfielder from the squad PH put together.
- Up front we had Bogle, Vernon, Tuton and Jackson. Vernon was unfit at the start of the season. Tuton was useless and Jackson showed glimpses of promise but didn't do enough. We had a squad that solely relied on Bogle and he was always going to go either in January or this summer. Which would have left us with a squad that would have not scored any goals in a month of Sundays.

PH was a decent manager and he's doing a really good job so far this season with Shrewsbury. However, the squad he left us with was pants and would have been in deep trouble had we not had Bogle on form (also remember he didn't start Bogle for the first three games for some unknown reason). We needed to bring players in but the main problem has been not getting rid of some of those who are probably biggish earners (Berrett and Summerfield) and some of the signings brought in haven't been inspiring either (Kelly, Clarke and Dixon).

Well thought out post M91!

Can't disagree too much with any of that
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 80
friskneymariner
August 31, 2017, 2:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Hope R/S  repaid the favour he owed Glen Downey's old man.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
headingly_mariner
August 31, 2017, 5:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91

It's hardly as if PH kept the squad together! He tore it apart and we only had 5 left from the promotion winning squad. Of the players that remained, three have gone back to non-league. So to some extent we've had to do sign a lot of players and I really don't buy the above opinion that this has occurred since PH left and he is unaccountable. He deserves a large portion of the blame. Look at the squad that PH left:
- Macca and Henderson in goal (not too bad)
- Mills, Davies, Collins, Pearson, Gowling, Boyce, Jones, Andrew in defence. 5/8 of those have left with only 1 moving upwards deservedly and the others now playing in non-league so what does that tell you?
- Bolarinwa, Browne, Berrett, Chambers, Summerfield, Comley, Vose, McAllister, Disley in midfield. So four are left but two  (Berrett and Summerfield) are not good enough and one is a crock unfortunately. Comley wasn't good enough. Disley is now in the Conference North and was too old to be a mainstay. Chambers is in the Conference North. Browne it didn't work out. And Vose doesn't even have a club! So we're left with 1 fit and useful midfielder from the squad PH put together.
- Up front we had Bogle, Vernon, Tuton and Jackson. Vernon was unfit at the start of the season. Tuton was useless and Jackson showed glimpses of promise but didn't do enough. We had a squad that solely relied on Bogle and he was always going to go either in January or this summer. Which would have left us with a squad that would have not scored any goals in a month of Sundays.

PH was a decent manager and he's doing a really good job so far this season with Shrewsbury. However, the squad he left us with was pants and would have been in deep trouble had we not had Bogle on form (also remember he didn't start Bogle for the first three games for some unknown reason). We needed to bring players in but the main problem has been not getting rid of some of those who are probably biggish earners (Berrett and Summerfield) and some of the signings brought in haven't been inspiring either (Kelly, Clarke and Dixon).

Hurst's squad certainly wasn't a big one and was doing fine when he left. Small changes in January would've been fine. A lot of whether players are good enough is about opinions and I think it's clear that Hurst is capable of building teams with players people think aren't good enough. Bignot changed too much too quickly and destroyed the stability we had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
mariner91
August 31, 2017, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hurst's squad certainly wasn't a big one and was doing fine when he left. Small changes in January would've been fine. A lot of whether players are good enough is about opinions and I think it's clear that Hurst is capable of building teams with players people think aren't good enough. Bignot changed too much too quickly and destroyed the stability we had.

It relied completely on Bogle for goals. The rest of the Hurst squad managed 20 goals between them all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
headingly_mariner
August 31, 2017, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91

It relied completely on Bogle for goals. The rest of the Hurst squad managed 20 goals between them all season.

As soon as Hurst left that squad was dismantled. He wasn't with us for the window and I reckon he'd have made us far stronger than Bignot.

This season I think some of the players people have said are shite are actually half decent. Dixon is a prime example, he actually looks a really tidy fullback and I haven't read anything positive about him. I'm also shocked about the Berrett stick as he's been decent for Slade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
MuddyWaters
August 31, 2017, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

As soon as Hurst left that squad was dismantled. He wasn't with us for the window and I reckon he'd have made us far stronger than Bignot.

This season I think some of the players people have said are shite are actually half decent. Dixon is a prime example, he actually looks a really tidy fullback and I haven't read anything positive about him. I'm also shocked about the Berrett stick as he's been decent for Slade.

Agree on all counts - regarding Bignot, it was no use giving him the money to spend in the window and then not let him develop what he brought in. Berrett looks far better played centrally than he ever did out wide, interesting that the only game we've been poor in midfield is the game he missed and Dixon looks competent without being as good as Danny Andrew.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
Southwark Mariner
August 31, 2017, 5:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82

I admit I've spent 10 seconds thinking about it, but I can't remember Hurst ever doing much in the January transfer window that was any good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
MuddyWaters
August 31, 2017, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

I admit I've spent 10 seconds thinking about it, but I can't remember Hurst ever doing much in the January transfer window that was any good.

You didn't rate Brodie?  
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
pontoonlew
August 31, 2017, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,834
Gold Stars: 167

Hursts January business was generally woeful, Bignot signed some shite in January but he also signed some people who are now key players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
Madeleymariner
August 31, 2017, 5:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Of the players Slade signed (loans not inc) Dembele is the only one that stands out as more than average
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings tomorrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.