Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Those red cards.....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 126 Guests

Those red cards.....

This thread currently has 4,642 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
August 27, 2017, 4:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I don't know if we are headed for some unwelcome record in the modren game, but five games with red cards by any one club is totally unacceptable and it begs the question why?

As most folk know I only make a few games each season but as someone with well over 2,000 games under my belt perhaps it smacks of players deliberately not following the manager's pre match game plan / orders? The manager will definitely not set his stall out to get a man sent off each time they run out onto the pitch. Players don't normally like getting sent off, so there is something very amiss somewhere - is it the dressing room already?
We all know it's so much easier to get players sent off nowadays so players have to be that much more careful. Two in five games would indicate a breakdown somewhere along the line between the manager and the players, but five consecutive games? I can't find the stats for Division Two last season, although they must be about somewhere online, but in the Premeir League last season Watford headed the way with five sendings off. That's in a complete season, we've got it in five games.

Make no mistake about it, referees talk between themselves and we will now have the kind of reputation Leeds United used to have and we will be having tabs kept on us by the adminsitration, but more importantly by the referees themselves - and it's so much eaiser to pick up further red cards with that kind of reputation "Oh, Grimsby again...."

Slade has got to get to grips with it, because he clearly hasn't by now. Am not one to jump onto hysterical bandwagons after a few defeats, but we need to make sure that we now start picking up fewere cautions / dismissals than every other team. If Slade can't do that he can not control the dressing room, and if you can't do that your grip on the seat of power is tenuous indeed.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
August 27, 2017, 4:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
It's as if there's complete indiscipline around the club on a daily basis? It reminds me of the time Barry Conlon came back from a 3 match ban by getting a straight red in his first game back!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
LH
August 27, 2017, 4:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I think four out of five of the reds this season have been fully justified with Mills' being perhaps a bit unfortunate. Slade can argue against it if he wants but a mix of stupid challenges to make when already on a yellow card (Berrett could have seen a straight red for his) and violent conduct does suggest a discipline problem.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
RoboCod
August 27, 2017, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
There were murmurings on here when our ageing defence was assembled by Slade, with some fans saying it was all about experience and not to worry.
I'm worried, it's almost as if thse fans were right and we're creaking at the back, with players having to cover for others caught out of position and the frustration is showing through silly, reckless challenges/decisions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
friskneymariner
August 27, 2017, 4:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from RoboCod
There were murmurings on here when our ageing defence was assembled by Slade, with some fans saying it was all about experience and not to worry.
I'm worried, it's almost as if thse fans were right and we're creaking at the back, with players having to cover for others caught out of position and the frustration is showing through silly, reckless challenges/decisions.

Hardly rocket science is it. There appears to be a collective blindness within the management team,or it an example of group speak as everybody is frightened to say' the king has got no clothes on 'either way worrying.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 5:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
1 or 2 could be unfortunate. 5 in five games is beginning to look like a pattern.

If Jock is right about 'the dressing room', you've got to wonder about some of the senior players we have with the same thing happening to Bignot.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
golfer
August 27, 2017, 5:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,373
Gold Stars: 111
In my opinion most of the cards of whatever colour are caused by us being far too slow in the tackle. By the time we tackle the ball has already gone resulting in a foul. Alternatively caused by frustration. I don't like having Slade and Wilko as managers but you can't really blame them other than team selection. Our present squad[nearly to a man] are slow off the mark so it is surely down to the fitness coach to speed up their reactions. Having said that you can't make a selling plater into the Derby winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
friskneymariner
August 27, 2017, 5:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Silk purse and sow's ear better analogy.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2017, 5:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,632
Gold Stars: 217
For me,

Mills - Unlucky
Berret - Half hearted, easier for him to foul rather than win the ball
Jones - Stupidty
Davies - Ageing legs and should know better
Collins - As above

Other than Mills I don't think we can have too many complaints.

However 5 in 5 suggests something is wrong with the mentality.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Garth
August 27, 2017, 7:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Do red cards carry a fine from the player to the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Those red cards.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.