Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Days..............
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 137 Guests

Early Days..............

This thread currently has 3,904 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TheCodfather1966
August 27, 2017, 12:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
granted, but this squad is the weakest I have seen in over 40 years of supporting Town.  I feared this would be the case in the summer when we did not strengthen.  Shocking crowd today, and the fans quite rightly were disgusted by Town's performance today.  No disrespect to Akinfenwa at all, but when a player probably four or five stone overweight runs you ragged, you have to have a serious look at the team you have.  Make no bones about it, we are a shocking outfit, and I certainly expect Crewe to go home with three points on Saturday.  The root problem at this football club lies within the Board room, we all know it really if we are honest.  Until Town get a forward thinking Chairman who is passionate about the club, and wants the club to go forward we are always going to be bobbing around the lower reaches of League 2, or even worse.  The clear lack of drive, direction and ambition shown by the club is slowly killing the mega loyal support, today's attendances bares this out.  I personally am sick and tired of hearing these false dawns and promises of a club and team to be proud of , all we ever get from the Board is spin, and low and behold it will soon be our fault (the loyal supporters) for not getting behind the team enough.  I will be there again next Saturday, but FFS , if you went today and against Coventry and were not a season ticket holder, would you keep shelling good money out to watch the shocking performances we are serving up, I think not.  With this current squad, we will do well to avoid getting relegated, how the hell is this team going to get 50 points.  I have watched some good sport today, the womens rugby final, the world darts in Perth and soon the fight in Vegas................  sadly the GTFC element of the day was the worst of the lot.  Here's hoping for better next week, can't see it happening though.  The day can get better though when Mayweather knocks out McGregor............

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
August 27, 2017, 1:06am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
granted, but this squad is the weakest I have seen in over 40 years of supporting Town.  I feared this would be the case in the summer when we did not strengthen.  Shocking crowd today, and the fans quite rightly were disgusted by Town's performance today.  No disrespect to Akinfenwa at all, but when a player probably four or five stone overweight runs you ragged, you have to have a serious look at the team you have.  Make no bones about it, we are a shocking outfit, and I certainly expect Crewe to go home with three points on Saturday.  The root problem at this football club lies within the Board room, we all know it really if we are honest.  Until Town get a forward thinking Chairman who is passionate about the club, and wants the club to go forward we are always going to be bobbing around the lower reaches of League 2, or even worse.  The clear lack of drive, direction and ambition shown by the club is slowly killing the mega loyal support, today's attendances bares this out.  I personally am sick and tired of hearing these false dawns and promises of a club and team to be proud of , all we ever get from the Board is spin, and low and behold it will soon be our fault (the loyal supporters) for not getting behind the team enough.  I will be there again next Saturday, but FFS , if you went today and against Coventry and were not a season ticket holder, would you keep shelling good money out to watch the shocking performances we are serving up, I think not.  With this current squad, we will do well to avoid getting relegated, how the hell is this team going to get 50 points.  I have watched some good sport today, the womens rugby final, the world darts in Perth and soon the fight in Vegas................  sadly the GTFC element of the day was the worst of the lot.  Here's hoping for better next week, can't see it happening though.  The day can get better though when Mayweather knocks out McGregor............

UTM

Barring the first sentence I totally agree.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
sam gy
August 27, 2017, 1:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
If anyone thinks this is the worst town side they've ever seen, then they weren't around in our '09 relegation season.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
mariner91
August 27, 2017, 3:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I've just worked out out many points Bignot was averaging per game, it comes to 1.259, times that by 46 and you have 57.9 points, which is around 15th position.

Apart from Dembélé and perhaps Jaiyesimi (one of Wilkinsons previous youth players), I've not been impressed with any of the other signings Slade has made.  We would also still have Pearson here, because Bignot wanted to keep him on.  Summerfield would not be here this season either as Bignot dumped him into the National League  and wanted rid prior to Slade arriving and I doubt James Berrett would be here either.

You're sure Pearson would have signed another contract under him? And how many of those points came with Bogle?

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
pizzzza
August 27, 2017, 6:11am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
No disrespect to Akinfenwa at all, but when a player probably four or five stone overweight runs you ragged, you have to have a serious look at the team you have.

Overweight?? He is ripped, no fat on him and a very good footballer to boot.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
LH
August 27, 2017, 7:46am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Just because he's not fat doesn't mean he isn't overweight. He's so big that he waddles. Agree that he's a good at what he does on the pitch though and the gym work clearly helps.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 27, 2017, 8:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
In Crete so have missed last two games and am pretty concerned about our quality of performance as much as the results.

At present I am consoling myself with the thought that presently, Osbourne, Mcallister, Clements, Asante, Jones and Vernon were all unavailable to start yesterday's game. I am positive that having the majority of these players available will help us improve significantly. Our final 3 home games under Slade last season were dcent performances and we need to achieve this as a minimum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2017, 8:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I tell you what is interesting we are all hoping that the players out injured or suspended will come back in and improve us.

None of those missing players were signed by Slade, Slade had all 10 of his summer signings available to him yesterday, and last week, and only Kelly missing the week before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
gtfc82
August 27, 2017, 8:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from sam gy
If anyone thinks this is the worst town side they've ever seen, then they weren't around in our '09 relegation season.

This side reminds me so much of that team that it's scary!! In players like Clark, Kelly and Hooper. Slade has scraped the barrel and found lots of rubbish who nobody else wanted, and we're seeing exactly why. I know Hooper scored today, but he'd done very little before that in any game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
TheCodfather1966
August 27, 2017, 9:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
For the record I like Akinfenwa, I think he is great and what he does.  So what if he is carrying a bit of extra weight, he is a far better finisher than any player on our books at the moment.  Also fair play to Wycombe for letting him get on with his own thing.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Days..............

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.