13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 26, 2017, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Let's not panic and let's not start hyperbole about how hopeless we are. We're looking poor at the moment but have a good few players out injured who will be back soon, we're only losing narrowly despite the ridiculous number of red cards so it won't take much to make the necessary improvements and improve results.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 121
Zmariner
August 26, 2017, 5:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Fair post. Time to keep a cool head and no knee jerk reaction. I was very disappointed with the signings made though and so not too surprised that we struggle utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 121
AdamHaddock
August 26, 2017, 5:19pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
The returns of Jones, Clements Vernon and eventually Osborne will surely make a difference but even so. Not looking promising so far

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 121
Bigboy
August 26, 2017, 5:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +158
Slade has had a terrible last 15 months. Sacked by Charlton 6 months into a 3 years contract and didn't even last 3 months at Coventry. I've always been a Slade fan and was delighted when he was reappointed but it seems to me his confidence must be shot to pieces - is that showing itself in the current performances?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 121
KingstonMariner
August 26, 2017, 5:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

After telling Bignot we were a longterm project but also giving him free reign in a january transfer window

Then sacking him shortly afterwards.

Same thing happened with Neil Woods after allowing him to re-build the squad. But apparently that wasn't his decision.

Oh and Graham Rodger soon after he'd recruited a lot of players.

But on the plus side we had the 5 years given to Paul Hurst.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 121
KingstonMariner
August 26, 2017, 5:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
Let's not panic and let's not start hyperbole about how hopeless we are. We're looking poor at the moment but have a good few players out injured who will be back soon, we're only losing narrowly despite the ridiculous number of red cards so it won't take much to make the necessary improvements and improve results.

I agree.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 121
chicaneuk
August 26, 2017, 5:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
I still just don't understand why Bignot was dumped and we bought Slade in. I thought it was a baffling decision at the time, and absolutely nothing I've seen yet this convinces me it was the right choice. It's been a pretty dreadful start by any measure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 121
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Bigboy
Slade has had a terrible last 15 months. Sacked by Charlton 6 months into a 3 years contract and didn't even last 3 months at Coventry. I've always been a Slade fan and was delighted when he was reappointed but it seems to me his confidence must be shot to pieces - is that showing itself in the current performances?

You've forgotten that the fans were boycotting Slades games at Cardiff until they shuffled him upstairs and out the way. He's on a shocking run and it doesn't appear to be turning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 121
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2017, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer

You call it hyperbole but until we stop getting a red card a game and playing the most defensive football to ever grace blundell park I'm going to carry on being concerned.

The whole picture at the minute is very concerning , we were promised a full on assault on the league by fenty bignot was sacked as fenty believed he hadn't the capabilities Russell Slade has in the transfer market , well comparing the signings both managers have made except maybe dembele for Slade and Jones for bignot you have to say there isn't a great deal , infact I would say Slade's signings have been poor on a whole.

He lines up with one striker plays Sam Jones out wide berrett and summerfield in midfield I'm sorry but what is he trying to achieve here ? It's never going to work.

Matt Dean asked Slade a few weeks ago if we have a disciplinary problem which Slade basically laughed at Matt Dean and said don't be stupid , well five red cards in as many games suggests otherwise.

The whole set up and the way we line up worries me and I was a fan of slade last time but what is he trying to do ? I am genuinely worried and I don't consider when you look at the bigger picture with poor signings negative tactics and awful disciplinary problems hyperbole.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 121
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 26, 2017, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from chicaneuk
I still just don't understand why Bignot was dumped and we bought Slade in. I thought it was a baffling decision at the time, and absolutely nothing I've seen yet this convinces me it was the right choice. It's been a pretty dreadful start by any measure.

Because I don't think Fenty is very good at understanding people. And after having 6 years of a very steady Paul Hurst, he probably didn't mentally prepare himself for another young inexperienced manager, who would make mistakes. He probably didn't realise he needed to be completely clear with the clubs needs, and thought it'd be fine to tell him it was a long term project, when really what he meant is 'I want to be in league 1 any time within 5 years, but mainly I want good ticket sales and a steady team with steady results that gives the fans confidence'

So Bignot made mistakes, some understandable like snapping up alot of good young players before they got signed elsewhere because you were given free reign in the transfer market, despite it unbalancing the team. For that reason he probably made one of his biggest mistakes (Saying we're looking to the next season when it was only february and we werent that far off the playoffs) to take the pressure off that newly formed team.
Other mistakes less understandable like his love affair with gavin gunning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 121
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.