This thread currently has 17,940 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Scarborough Seadog
August 29, 2017, 1:58pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +98
Footage of the incident (if you can't stomach 9 mins of step 4 non-league then skip to 4 mins 30)

https://youtu.be/K5xl5EqrBRM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2017, 8:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thanks for posting Scarbs.

Just been reading your Wiki page. With the covenant on the old Scarborough FC ground, what became of it when the club folded?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 79
lukeo
August 29, 2017, 9:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,371
Gold Stars: 145
Come on now, you made that sound terrible. I've just watched the footage, he kicked the ball away in anger (we've all done it) and as soon as he realised what had happened went to go apologise and then went back after he saw red.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 79
Scarborough Seadog
August 29, 2017, 9:37pm
Coke Drinker
Scarborough Council bought the old McCain Stadium from the liquidators for a snip. They sold the two newest stands (which were behind each goal and seated about 1,500 each) to Featherstone Rovers Rugby Club who successfully managed to relocate them to their ground.

The rest of the old "Stadium of Chips" was demolished and the land was then sold to developers for housing & retail (they've already built a supermarket on it with houses to follow). In return the developers have built the new stadium/sports complex as part of the deal.

So Scarborough Athletic are now tenants in a Council owned stadium. To be honest the new stadium is small and lacks enough covered terracing, but we've been ground-sharing in Bridlington for the last 10 years so most Boro fans are just glad to be playing back in Scarborough. The upside is there is one decent seated stand and there is a lots of space down one side for a large covered terrace in the future. Eventually we hope to get the capacity up from 2,000 to something that would allow us back to Conference National level. As it stands the new ground would only allow us one promotion and then we'd need to upgrade to get in the Conference North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2017, 9:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Scarborough Seadog
Scarborough Council bought the old McCain Stadium from the liquidators for a snip. They sold the two newest stands (which were behind each goal and seated about 1,500 each) to Featherstone Rovers Rugby Club who successfully managed to relocate them to their ground.

The rest of the old "Stadium of Chips" was demolished and the land was then sold to developers for housing & retail (they've already built a supermarket on it with houses to follow). In return the developers have built the new stadium/sports complex as part of the deal.

So Scarborough Athletic are now tenants in a Council owned stadium. To be honest the new stadium is small and lacks enough covered terracing, but we've been ground-sharing in Bridlington for the last 10 years so most Boro fans are just glad to be playing back in Scarborough. The upside is there is one decent seated stand and there is a lots of space down one side for a large covered terrace in the future. Eventually we hope to get the capacity up from 2,000 to something that would allow us back to Conference National level. As it stands the new ground would only allow us one promotion and then we'd need to upgrade to get in the Conference North.

So if I've read the Wiki page right, having refused the original proposal by SFC to sell the ground and build a new one on the grounds that there was a covenant in place that forbade anything but a sporting use of the land, the council then allow the land to be sold to developers anyway, having finally killed off the football club?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
chaos33
August 29, 2017, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
Was that a straight red?!? Really?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
mrsd
August 29, 2017, 9:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
Since when has kicking the ball away been a red card offence ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
Scarborough Seadog
August 29, 2017, 9:46pm
Coke Drinker
Lukeo - To tell you the truth I wasn't at the game, just listening to it on the radio. And I agree with you.

When I eventually saw the footage I thought it was a really harsh sending off. It was a pretty silly thing for the lad to do, but I don't think you could class it as violent conduct because I'm sure he intended to hit the advertising boards and not a face in the crowd. South Shields manager said the ref "had no choice" but to send him off.

Everybody blaming Max for the loss but in reality South Shields have now won an incredible 43 of their last 44 games and are taking the lower leagues by storm (hot favourites to win the league) so draw your own conclusions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
Scarborough Seadog
August 29, 2017, 10:16pm
Coke Drinker
KingstonMariner - There was a lot of ill feeling towards Scarborough Borough Council about the whole thing. They blocked the proposals by the old club to sell the ground to developers and move to an out of town stadium (which was the only way of saving the club).

Then after we went bust they bought the old stadium at a snip from the liquidators (cheaply because it was basically worth nothing to anybody else due to having a sporting covenant on it that only they had the power to lift). Then they sold off the best two stands and left the place to go to rack and ruin. With no security in place the arsonists and vandals had a field day, see clip here:

https://youtu.be/sqYJHZiL0Nk

But I wouldn't say the Council killed the old club. Not by any stretch of the imagination. No, a succession of shyster owners were to blame for that. But when the Council had the chance to throw us a lifebelt as we drowned in debt they turned their back on the club and let it sink.

Now we're supposed to be grateful that we're tenants in a stadium with a quarter of the capacity of the old one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
gtfc98
August 29, 2017, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Seadog any idea how much you're paying Coulson? I know he's a local lad but that's quite a coup. Sure he could have easily found himself a conference club at the very least.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Max Wright

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.