5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 22, 2017, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
I don't like singling out players for fear of making a scapegoat of them BUT Grimsby Town Football Club is a football club that cannot afford to effectively have 10 men on the pitch. I'm not party to what goes on on the training pitch but the Mighty Mariner without a human inside could have done more tonight. Lack of talent with effort is more acceptable than lack of effort however talented you think you are.
Private Message
LongEatonMariner
August 22, 2017, 10:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I've not seen him yet but it sounds like he's not really fit, did he have a full pre season do we know or might he be playing catch up? I know he was training with us for a while but he was only with us at the end of pre season wasn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
headingly_mariner
August 22, 2017, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Give over. What a hysterical overreaction.

He didn't see a great deal of the ball against a championship defence on his 2nd start for us.

How about we give him a chance?

We support a division 4 side that is run on a bargain bin budget. We have to get the best out of players that have sometimes failed elsewhere and at this level most players are flawed. He didn't even do anything bad tonight and there wasn't a lack of effort. Each striker that has played that role for us this season has looked isolated and hasn't produced a shot on target.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
Maringer
August 22, 2017, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Not wishing to defend Hooper too much after an unimpressive performance, but he didn't achieve any less than Cardwell during his time on the pitch. He didn't win much in the air but did get some (minor) success in standing his ground to them at times and basically obstructing them to stop them getting the ball. A very languid running-style and doesn't look to be a player with LJL levels of application, that's for sure! Truth be told, it didn't look to me as though he really knew what he was doing when challenging in the air. Too easily pinned down and didn't manage to knock his opponents off balance enough. You don't expect him to win much in the air against bigger and better players, but you'd hope he'd cause a few more problems. Perhaps Wilkinson will be able to help in this area.

Luckily, we won't be facing international defenders very often this season so hopefully Hooper will do better when playing League Two teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
gtfc98
August 22, 2017, 11:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
He wasn't great by any stretch but like others have mentioned he was up against a championship defence and left isolated without a partner. He's clearly not a target man. He did produce a nice bit of play for Dembele's chance though. Looking forward to seeing what Wilkinson can do with him, I'm not writing him off by any stretch and if he reads some of the drivel on here and twitter his confidence will be shot before he even has chance to get going.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
MuddyWaters
August 22, 2017, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from gtfc98
He wasn't great by any stretch but like others have mentioned he was up against a championship defence and left isolated without a partner. He's clearly not a target man. He did produce a nice bit of play for Dembele's chance though. Looking forward to seeing what Wilkinson can do with him, I'm not writing him off by any stretch and if he reads some of the drivel on here and twitter his confidence will be shot before he even has chance to get going.

It's the lack of a challenge even. I'm not saying Cardwell is better - he probably isn't - but we've given a 2 year deal to a striker who doesn't seem to give a excrement.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
ginnywings
August 22, 2017, 11:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,110
Gold Stars: 548
I don't like singling out players..................

He's played a 100 minutes and he's already deemed not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
HackneyHaddock
August 23, 2017, 12:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Having a moan after a defeat about who had a good game and who didn't: fair enough, it's a game of opinions.

What we can't have though, is sustained targeting of individual players week in, week out when they need confidence and support.  I doubt any of our players go out and "not try" or not put effort in.  

Also, talk of players being "excrement", or my personal pet peeve, that they're "stealing a living" are completely unacceptable.  At our level, players are making similar levels of money to the fans (the tens of thousands a year, not per week) and don't deserve that sort of abuse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
arryarryarry
August 23, 2017, 12:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Looked poor again to me, and what I cannot stand is lack of effort, there were a couple of times when he could have closed a Derby player down but looked like he couldn't be arsed.

To be fair to Cardwell at least he chased after the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
AndyDarloFC
August 23, 2017, 12:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
At our level, players are making similar levels of money to the fans (the tens of thousands a year, not per week) and don't deserve that sort of abuse.

Disagreed here, League 2 and above - Wages for some players are massive, some unsustainable for teams.

Players make very good money week in, week out.

Where-as fans will work hard at doing jobs they hate to watch their team at the end of the week, and if players aren't putting a shift in - Then I would say fans are entitled to let them know this.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hooper - RANT

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.