Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Not surprised at all.........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 202 Guests

Not surprised at all.........

This thread currently has 11,785 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimal
August 20, 2017, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
I'm not going to slate any of the players by name that we have at Town but I attended all pre-season games except the couple in Devon and I have to say I can't understand why RS signed certain players he has when I personally thought he would have signed Jay Rollins, he showed desire and quality for a young lad and wasn't afraid to run at defences, scaring the shite out of them, I know league defenders are of more quality but It still opens up opportunities. Also I would be giving Karleigh Osborne game time, another young lad that showed real promise at Winterton.  I would much sooner sign these sort of players rather than journeymen looking for a last payday.
Early days but needs sorting sooner rather than later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
AndyGTFC
August 20, 2017, 11:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
I think we struggled to attract players, whether that be down to location or money. Trialists are trialists for a reason most of the time. Dembele was the exception.

To be honest I'm sick of having a new team to get used to already and think we've made mistakes that we got away with in League Two last year.  We up with a squad none of the fans is attached to and we know half of then will be gone come May. Not a way to build a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
oldun
August 20, 2017, 12:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
most of these signings are on 2 year contracts probably as the only reason they would come here. That tells us all we need to know. so better get used to them I suppose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
headingly_mariner
August 20, 2017, 12:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
It's only 3 games in. Surely these players need to be given a bit more time. It's not a good sign to be subbed after 45 minutes of your debut, but he will know improvement is needed now.
I actually think Clarke and Dixon will be really good signings. My worry with Dixon was that his legs had gone, but he's been pretty decent getting up and down. He has some real quality and will surprise a few doubters.

There's no doubt that we've been bargain shopping, but that is how Slade operates and the weak budget from the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
HertsGTFC
August 20, 2017, 12:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Grimal
I'm not going to slate any of the players by name that we have at Town but I attended all pre-season games except the couple in Devon and I have to say I can't understand why RS signed certain players he has when I personally thought he would have signed Jay Rollins, he showed desire and quality for a young lad and wasn't afraid to run at defences, scaring the shite out of them, I know league defenders are of more quality but It still opens up opportunities. Also I would be giving Karleigh Osborne game time, another young lad that showed real promise at Winterton.  I would much sooner sign these sort of players rather than journeymen looking for a last payday.
Early days but needs sorting sooner rather than later.

I think they are pretty much all journeymen at this level these days to be honest, I do agree though the amount of players who are playing for Town now and this could be their last full time club is a worry. The fact that we had so many "experienced" players out there yesterday but still couldn't get any form of foothold in the game really worries me.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
moosey_club
August 20, 2017, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
We have suffered from injuries in key areas, two strikers from last season out injured, midfielders injured or unavailable for compassionate reasons, suspensions on top of that....arguably Slade hasnt had what may well be the first 11 available to him as yet,  we have played two teams that were in League 1 last season and in Stevenage they were in good form for a large part of the end of last season.
We now have , in just 12 months,  a merger of 3 managers players in the squad....

Did we seriously think that we would start the season flying with all the above ?

Having said that i am not convinced Slade has used what he is currently able to pick from in the best way.

Last time with Slade we struggled at the seasons start under his preferred system....which all changed when we played Derby in the cup and he switched formation for that game.......roll on Tuesday !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
August 20, 2017, 1:26pm
Guest User
One thing we could do to get real effort on the pitch is give some of our youngsters a bit of playing time.

I guess Danny North was the last 'home-grown' player to get a sustained run in the first team. That was a while back....  
Reply: 26 - 71
ginnywings
August 20, 2017, 1:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Last season, we won the first game and promptly lost the next three. Much derision on here at the time, but then, as now, you can't judge a season on three games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2017, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings
Last season, we won the first game and promptly lost the next three. Much derision on here at the time, but then, as now, you can't judge a season on three games.

At the beginning of last season, our manager's stated aim was survival. Our current manager has promised an attempt at play-offs.

I've always been told to under-promise and over-deliver.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
Gaffer58
August 20, 2017, 3:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Compare us to Accrington, yesterday they got 1600, we would expect to have 3 times that, as the TVs money is the same for both clubs then we should have a bigger budget and in theory attract better players (managers opinion) but even now I will predict they will finish when above us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Not surprised at all.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.