2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
August 19, 2017, 5:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Stood at work bored, and it came to  my mind that Stevenage away was one of the games that is used as an example in criticising bignots reign. I didn't go then and I didn't go today, but I was wondering how today's performance compared to to last seasons, and if this team looked any better than last seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner93er
August 19, 2017, 5:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
I should add, I only ask the question because bignots teams were said to be pretty clueless, but in reality did today's team, under a vastly more experienced manager, looknon more clued up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Mariner_09
August 19, 2017, 5:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
No! We were as terrible as we were at any stage under Bignot.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
arryarryarry
August 19, 2017, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Far worse than last season.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
codcheeky
August 19, 2017, 7:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Very very poor today, don't mind losing but that was dispiriting
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Mariner_09
August 19, 2017, 10:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I want to at least see some fight, we never had poor discipline or folded embarrassingly like that under Hurst. Even when we were 3-0 down at Colchester it finished 3-2. Shaun Pearson and Craig Disley were playing, true fighters who cared!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Mariner93er
August 20, 2017, 1:15am
Cocktail Drinker
I do fear that Slade has become set in his ways, failing to adapt as football has evolved over the last 10 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
Davec
August 20, 2017, 7:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Several of our players signed for us after successful trials, you got to wonder why they didn't find a club before the need to come on trial? You can get the odd trialist who come good players but signing several of them after trials is quite concerning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Davec
August 20, 2017, 7:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Davec
Several of our players signed for us after successful trials, you got to wonder why they didn't find a club before the need to come on trial? You can get the odd trialist who come good players but signing several of them after trials is quite concerning.

Wrong thread sorry
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Mrs Doyle
August 20, 2017, 9:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Needs to get the players feeling better about themselves and each other this will only come in time.

One thing Hursts long reign did here was establish a great team spirit perhaps the best since the Buckley era.

All I see now is a team of individuals short on ideas and confidence suppose we may have to settle for a survival season not really "The next level" I as expecting.

After last seasons mid table finish I was hoping we would push on.

Still very early days yet but the signs not looking good I will always back GTFC 100% even if I vent my feelings on here.  

Already sorted my plans out for Mansfield UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
Swansea_Mariner
August 20, 2017, 9:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Hurst had a policy to try and sign players who had proven themselves capable of getting promoted from the conference. He did it several times, that IMHO contributed to the positive atmosphere, because we were signing 'winners' at that level. Consistently winning breeds confidence and individuals bring that with them.

Not sure what happened to that policy last year but we signed three players who had been relegated the prior season in Berret, Summerfield and Chambers. Now we've added to that with four more players who had recently been relegated, Clarke, Hooper, Kelly and Dixon. We've got a lot of players who have been conditioned to losing games consistently in the recent past.  That mentally is bound to have an effect when things aren't going well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
Hagrid
August 20, 2017, 9:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,378
Gold Stars: 532
Just read through there forum. They say we were shocking, they wont have an easier game this season and we will struggle. Ffs slade sort it out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
arryarryarry
August 20, 2017, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09
I want to at least see some fight, we never had poor discipline or folded embarrassingly like that under Hurst. Even when we were 3-0 down at Colchester it finished 3-2. Shaun Pearson and Craig Disley were playing, true fighters who cared!

Erm, Halifax away, poor discipline from at least one player and the manager, but we had been spoilt
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
HertsGTFC
August 20, 2017, 10:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, Halifax away, poor discipline from at least one player and the manager, but we had been spoilt

How did we get poor discipline from the manager, I can't remember that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
grimsby pete
August 20, 2017, 11:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Did not want to start a new thread but Toto gave 2 pens away and Shrews still won 3-2.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
HertsGTFC
August 20, 2017, 11:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Hurst had a policy to try and sign players who had proven themselves capable of getting promoted from the conference. He did it several times, that IMHO contributed to the positive atmosphere, because we were signing 'winners' at that level. Consistently winning breeds confidence and individuals bring that with them.

Not sure what happened to that policy last year but we signed three players who had been relegated the prior season in Berret, Summerfield and Chambers. Now we've added to that with four more players who had recently been relegated, Clarke, Hooper, Kelly and Dixon. We've got a lot of players who have been conditioned to losing games consistently in the recent past.  That mentally is bound to have an effect when things aren't going well.

I kind of see what your saying, not sure it's a mind set thing but usually when teams get relegated its down to the players not being good enough or a lack of desire, yesterday even at this early stage I sensed both about us which is of real concern.

Re the stewards, totally over the top. When my 21 year old daughter was searched she was asked if she was wearing an under wire bra??? What would have happened if she had said yes would they have confiscated it or refused her entry. They don't even ask that on air lines.

What also p1ssed me off was just near the end when the stewards climbed over the barrier onto the bit behind the goal if they had done that during the game it would have saved so many confrontations with Town fans just behind the goal.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stevenage this season to last

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.