4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
August 19, 2017, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If there ever was a result and performance in August that should make our non-chairman and manager shite their pants then this was it. Hope Slade is nervously looking around the coach hoping no one will notice the smell and Fenty is fretting trying to break away from a delirious Stevenage chairman's long winded conversation. Time for this pair to get radical and ship out players who the fans have known for a year are just not good enough, stop signing journeyman after journeyman and bring at least one or two with real quality in. Tear up plan A and think about plan B sharpish. No evidence of any of the Bogle money being spent over the summer so far at all. Bargain basement signings. Only Karleigh Osbourne, DJ, Dembele and Mitch Rose have come here with an ounce of a positive reputation and two of them can't get a game.

Keeper - mixed season at best last year
Centre Halves - big brains, slow legs
Full Backs - one learning, one meh and another one the wrong side of thirty five
Centre Mid - Mitch Rose, that's it
Wide - we're fine as long as Sam Jones doesn't play there and we can get the ball to their feet
Strikers - the only one that excites me has been injured ever since he's got here and SV is just ok, the rest?

Yes we've got injuries but every club has two or three out at any one point, it's normal.

Either Fenty's being really tight, Slade has overestimated his skills in getting a rag tag bunch of professionals together to play point grabbing hoofball or Slade has underestimated this division. Probably all three. Out of the two, I trusted RS to know better.

Time to tell some players that they are not good enough to get a game at GTFC, move them on or pay them off and time to spend some dough on some proper players or loans of youngsters from higher up with discipline, heart and a play for the badge spirit. Early stages but the signs are not good, 30 shots conceded in our solitary victory, no shots on target at home to Coventry and today's debacle.

Tick Tock..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
August 19, 2017, 5:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Whatever Bogle money there ever was has been totally wasted by Bignot and now Slade. Gunning, Yussuf, Maxwell and now Dixon, Clarke, Rose and Kelly.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
jonnyboy82
August 19, 2017, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
One word.

Regression.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
friskneymariner
August 19, 2017, 6:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
What really annoys me is that those of us who voiced our concerns in the close season were absolutely lambasted on here,well what have those who were shouting us down got to sat now eh Paddy.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
Swansea_Mariner
August 19, 2017, 6:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Frankly someone will have to make it work with THESE players as it will cost a fortune to replace all the players we now have on multi year deals.

Don't expect a big turnaround in the Windows .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
friskneymariner
August 19, 2017, 7:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Frankly someone will have to make it work with THESE players as it will cost a fortune to replace all the players we now have on multi year deals.

Depressingly you are right.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
Garth
August 19, 2017, 7:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
To rely on ex York and Port Vale players to enable us to reach and stay in the top half of the table was extremely foolish, to give them more than a one year contract was plain daft.
Just using them as an example, apart from the obvious 3 or 4 promising young players the rest need to step up to the plate quickly, I would use Tuesdays game to blood the new keeper, Karleigh Osborne young Clifton and DJ for starters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
Bigdog
August 19, 2017, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I don't expect a big turnaround from the powers that be but we need one.

What will cost a fortune is 1k dropping off the home gate. £15k x 20odd  = £300k

Alternatively..

We loan three out and pay half their wages, say 3x 25k = £75k

Sign three quality players @ £75k a year =£225k

In effect the total cost is zero the way it's going.

Sitting on our hands and dropping out of the league could cost us £600k per annum at this rate.

What I don't understand is we have similar to or better than home receipts compared to 70% of all clubs in League One and League Two, League One clubs receiving only £200k more from the EFL which only equates to 5% of turnover, yet we act like clubs like Accrington, Newport or Morecambe who live on gates of less than 2k. Something's wrong somewhere.

What's the alternative? Wring our effing hands and hope for the best?

And Mariner09.. We were told the January signings were funded from unexpectedly high gate receipts, not the Bogle money, so it should still be there.

God help anyone sticking their neck out in the boardroom to get the fans hopeful and excited for once. We back this club through thick and thin and are expected to put up with the same old crapp season after season. Dover have got a bigger budget etc etc etc.

It's nearly two decades since any serious money was invested in the club, this needs to change. It feels to me that the fans like the poor buggers that travelled today are taken for granted. Only excitement for years was generated by the fans themselves, no one else, with OP.

Thought RS had enough about him to whip JF into shape. Haven't seen any evidence of that yet or little evidence of RS and PW extensive contacts and recruiting skills.

As you can tell, I'm a little fed up of narrow minded thinking. ITV Digital collapse was 15 years agoi, 15 years is a long time to be following a club that quite frankly never has any new ideas, never mind running out of them..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
HertsGTFC
August 19, 2017, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

I don't expect a big turnaround from the powers that be but we need one.

What will cost a fortune is 1k dropping off the home gate. £15k x 20odd  = £300k

Alternatively..

We loan three out and pay half their wages, say 3x 25k = £75k

Sign three quality players @ £75k a year =£225k

In effect the total cost is zero the way it's going.

Sitting on our hands and dropping out of the league could cost us £600k per annum at this rate.

What I don't understand is we have similar to or better than home receipts compared to 70% of all clubs in League One and League Two, League One clubs receiving only £200k more from the EFL which only equates to 5% of turnover, yet we act like clubs like Accrington, Newport or Morecambe who live on gates of less than 2k. Something's wrong somewhere.

What's the alternative? Wring our effing hands and hope for the best?

And Mariner09.. We were told the January signings were funded from unexpectedly high gate receipts, not the Bogle money, so it should still be there.

God help anyone sticking their neck out in the boardroom to get the fans hopeful and excited for once. We back this club through thick and thin and are expected to put up with the same old crapp season after season. Dover have got a bigger budget etc etc etc.

It's nearly two decades since any serious money was invested in the club, this needs to change. It feels to me that the fans like the poor buggers that travelled today are taken for granted. Only excitement for years was generated by the fans themselves, no one else, with OP.

Thought RS had enough about him to whip JF into shape. Haven't seen any evidence of that yet or little evidence of RS and PW extensive contacts and recruiting skills.

As you can tell, I'm a little fed up of narrow minded thinking. ITV Digital collapse was 15 years agoi, 15 years is a long time to be following a club that quite frankly never has any new ideas, never mind running out of them..

Explain the bit in bold?  as well as name 3 x "quality players" that you can get for £75K pa. In fact if they are a "quality player" they will be signed up somewhere else or we would need to pay a decent fee.

I get your frustration but I don't think it's as easy as it looks for lots of reasons.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
mariner91
August 19, 2017, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,576
Gold Stars: 260
I would be going to teams higher up and looking at getting their youngsters in. Tyler Walker is still possibly going to go out on loan and he can't possibly be worse than Hooper. Loan in a left back as well and depending on how good Osborne turns out then maybe a young athletic centre back because right now we're too pedestrian.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Window

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.