15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 13, 2017, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
The fact that Berrett has the No. 7 shirt and played most of the time in pre-season makes me think he's going to in the team a lot this year. Wouldn't be my choice, but then I'm not the manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 141
Mrs Doyle
August 13, 2017, 9:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I thought Hooper looked faster and stronger than Cardwell albeit he was only on for a short while. Maybe Cardell was just knackered being the lone ranger up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 141
HertsGTFC
August 13, 2017, 9:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from friskneymariner

You mean like Bignot.

No not really, especially considering Bignot won 4 out of his last 15 games and we shipped 5 on 2 occasions. Under Bignot we where heading for a relegation fight this season.Oh yeah add to that things like selecting Gunning regardless,f&^%$ing up the keeper situation, dropping Collins and Pearson for our local Derby at home versus the free scoring league leaders, picking a "self harming" selection away at Portsmouth and disengaging a large proportion of the squad............. we will be mediocre this season for sure but at least it will be organised mediocrity .

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 141
gtfc82
August 13, 2017, 9:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
I know McAllister was put on the bench yesterday. Was that purely because Vernon got injured in the warm up, or is he close to being fit? I'd love to see him back in the side. Berret and Summerfield is such a weak pairing in the midfield!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 141
SteveHessle
August 13, 2017, 9:43am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +32
Slades insistence on playing a sole centre forward is going to get us in real trouble this season. I cannot understand why he doesn't see what we see, it's so bloody negative & will eventually cut crowds.
Playing Jones on the wing is a waste, I reckon that he is best just behind the centre forward.
Regarding substitutions, why did he take Summerfield off, whilst keeping Berrett on ? I used to be not exactly the greatest fan of Summerfield, but he is a different player so far this season. Berrett on the other hand is the same & most irritatingly, backs out of challenges 5 yards early. Taking Cardwell off did zero, as replacing like for like & leaving the sub in the same isolated position is just plain stupid.
Bolarinwa should have started for sure & at least we would have had 2 wingers & just maybe, the penetration could have led to a meaningful cross should we actually have had anyone in the box.
I thought Rose had a poor game yesterday, probably just to the lack of tactics.
The one 'compensation' was the two centre backs, that is other than the flashes of Dembele.
Boring defensive, one man up front at home bores me stupid. It has never worked for any Town manager. Remember Paul Groves wrecking Darren Mansaram, playing him as an 18 year old against ex Premier League defenders for instance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 141
Swansea_Mariner
August 13, 2017, 9:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
To say Berrett is the only option at the moment isn't entirely true, Clements isn't injured he just needs game time, which he isn't getting even as a sub.

He should have played against Wigan having been available the game before and he should have had some time yesterday to continue his integration into the team.  Hopefully with the closed doors game and Berretts ban he can now move into contention.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 141
mariner91
August 13, 2017, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Maringer
The fact that Berrett has the No. 7 shirt and played most of the time in pre-season makes me think he's going to in the team a lot this year. Wouldn't be my choice, but then I'm not the manager.

That's what concerns me. He absolutely must not be a regular starter if we want to finish anywhere near the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 141
HertsGTFC
August 13, 2017, 9:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
To say Berrett is the only option at the moment isn't entirely true, Clements isn't injured he just needs game time, which he isn't getting even as a sub.

He should have played against Wigan having been available the game before and he should have had some time yesterday to continue his integration into the team.  Hopefully with the closed doors game and Berretts ban he can now move into contention.

There is a "behind closed doors" on Tuesday which may help. Berrett appears up until now to be the only "match fit" player available, the bonus from yesterday is that the ref sending him off will force change next weekend.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 141
Superdan147
August 13, 2017, 10:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Still very frustrated about yesterday. Such a soft first goal to give. Jones is not a winger. He needs to be played central in the number 10 role. Linking up midfield and striker (vernon,hooper) spreading the ball out wide to our talented wingers, running at defenders with his power. Making runs into the box for when crosses come in. Out wide he is totally ineffective. At home we have to be more positive and play ball to feet! We have players who can play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 141
Davec
August 13, 2017, 10:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Don't disagree with what your saying and certainly the shape & balance was wrong yesterday but with the likes of McAllister, Osborne and Clements injured we are a position where the 2nd rate mid field is the only option. If everyone was fit then I doubt Berrett and Summerfield (who did o.k. yesterday) would get a start.

As others have said Berrett is number 7, why give him that if he won't play much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 141
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.