15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
August 12, 2017, 8:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I honestly didn't think they were that special at all , it's just our formation played right into there hands ..

We were all set up wrong and the way we played today I honestly think we would have made anyone look half decent.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 141
MuddyWaters
August 12, 2017, 8:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from sam gy
We were beaten by a side that are just far better than us, it's that simple. They should have won by more IMO.

It's fine, we've had a tough start and got 3 points from two matches against relegated teams. We go again.

It is that simple. The only way we were beating them today was by choking the game (which we did for nearly 70 minutes) and hoping for a one-off break which we nearly got. Teams that come down from the league above are better equipped both in terms of finance and infrastructure and always seem to get the rub of the ref's decisions, some of which today were frankly awful.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 141
golfer
August 12, 2017, 9:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Had to go round to brother in law who is recovering from heart attack to give him update on todays game. I didn't want to upset him too much so just told him we were fcking shite instead of telling him the real truth
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 141
sam gy
August 12, 2017, 9:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Exactly. I realise it's frustrating to not go all guns blazing at home, but they're obviously gonna be up there and containing them/hitting them on the break was our only hope today I think.

Thought once the first goal went in they started to really carve us open. Have no doubt that we can still be decent in this league though, today just was not our day.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 141
Roast Em Bobby
August 12, 2017, 9:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Think a few have been a bit harsh on Cardwell - not saying he was fantastic by any means but he did flash a couple of great crosses across the box - one of which i'm pretty sure led to the Sam Jones chance when he blasted it over the bar. I'd like to see him and Jones together as a front 2 or with Jones behind him in the no.10 role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 141
Madeleymariner
August 12, 2017, 9:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from sam gy
Exactly. I realise it's frustrating to not go all guns blazing at home, but they're obviously gonna be up there and containing them/hitting them on the break was our only hope today I think.

Thought once the first goal went in they started to really carve us open. Have no doubt that we can still be decent in this league though, today just was not our day.

When did we hit them on the break, we just hoofed it onto 3 players heads who rarely had anyone within 20yards to try and give it to, Cardwell got away a couple of times went to cross the ball and no one in the area thats not breaking away that putting 9 players near your own box and hoping their keeper takes a goal kick into his own net at some point, thats how likely we were to score. If your playing on the break you need quick players we had 1 and a half, not enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 141
arryarryarry
August 12, 2017, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It is that simple. The only way we were beating them today was by choking the game (which we did for nearly 70 minutes) and hoping for a one-off break which we nearly got. Teams that come down from the league above are better equipped both in terms of finance and infrastructure and always seem to get the rub of the ref's decisions, some of which today were frankly awful.

Not quite sure how you thought there might be a chance of us winning when we couldn't manage an effort on target in 98 minutes.

Poor tactics by Russell Slade, felt sorry for Cardwell who I thought did all he could with the hoofballs and no support.

Berrett must be Slade's love child, no idea how he starts every game or why he wasn't taken off before the clown got himself sent off.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 141
GYinScuntland
August 12, 2017, 9:41pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from nickmariners

Not to Friskney

Friskney never show anyhow, giving it large on the internet but more excuses than Lincoln on a school day.
They've never got over the shame of the pre arranged off with Croft womens institute at Wainfleet St Mary, a supposed neutral "venue".
Snidey sods mobbed up with Leake common side pigeon fanciers but still got ran all the way back to Wrangle when Mrs Snodgrass pulled her knitting needle out and gave it large.
Friskney?
Two bob outfit and no mistake.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 141
mariner91
August 12, 2017, 9:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
I thought Coventry were the better side and deserved the win although the first goal was a farce and who knows what would have happened had that been ruled out? We'd contained them fairly well up until that point. I also think people are being harsh on Coventry. They're set up very solidly but have Jones going forward causing mayhem and a couple of decent centre forwards as well. They've scored 5 and not conceded in two games and I would imagine they'll be at least in the play offs come the end of the season. Dixon won't have a harder game all season either.

I think RS set up to neutralise Coventry but in doing so neutralised ourselves as well. The midfield was too deep and Summerfield and Berrett are just not up to playing regularly in a team that wants to finish in the top half. Summerfield worked hard and did a couple of really good defensive contributions in the first half. He also tries to get us playing a bit but I just don't think he's got it in him. Berrett was completely anonymous other than getting sent off. I don't know if The Old Codger will allow us to criticise him yet (he's only a season and 2 games in remember) but I just don't see what he brings to the team. Not physical enough to help out defensively but nowhere near good enough with the ball to get away with being a luxury type player. In fact, he moves the ball slowly and predictably which all of our midfield did today but at least Rose and Summerfield got stuck in and broke play up. Rose did really well defensively first half but he's not a creative midfielder and we need someone alongside him to be the one moving the ball quickly and smartly. Still think Rose will be a decent enough player and the best defensive midfielder we've had in a long time.

Sam Jones is completely wasted out wide and it left us off balance and with a congested middle because he kept cutting inside but Dixon isn't the type of player to overlap regularly. If he'd had Danny Andrew behind him that might have worked out better but he's gone so IMO you either play Jones centrally (ideally) or you get the best balance in the team by starting a natural winger and benching Jones.

I would have liked to have seen us be more positive and move the ball quicker, particularly in to the wide areas where we have got players who can create things. . We need to work on is moving the ball quickly and into Dembele's feet. They worked out he was the dangerman and crowded him out effectively because we either spent too long getting it to him or we punted the ball to his head. Ridiculous when he's about 5'6. I'd like to see us stop putting Jones out wide and actually utilise the skillful and athletic wide players we've got. I also think we'd have been much, much better going forward if we'd had Jones playing in the 10 role behind Cardwell so that he wasn't so isolated. Poor lad worked hard and did some half decent work but had a pretty thankless task with rubbish service and little support.

All in all, not a great performance but we were reasonably solid for large periods and I'm hoping with the re-introduction of McAllister and Clements that we'll start to offer more in midfield. I'm also hoping Slade will decide to take the initiative a bit more in home games and play to the strengths of our best players. Big thank you to Herts for the lift today, really appreciated despite the result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 141
MuddyWaters
August 12, 2017, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not quite sure how you thought there might be a chance of us winning when we couldn't manage an effort on target in 98 minutes.

Poor tactics by Russell Slade, felt sorry for Cardwell who I thought did all he could with the hoofballs and no support.

Berrett must be Slade's love child, no idea how he starts every game or why he wasn't taken off before the clown got himself sent off.

Love how they're poor tactics by Slade as they were pretty much the same as last week. Had we held on for 0-0 would they still have been poor? And regarding Berrett, he's not the best or the worst player ever to play for Town but why do we always have to have a scapegoat? He gets vilified when he doesn't tackle and the same when he does. We're missing 5 midfielders at present so we've got to make do with what we've got.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 141
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.