MuddyWaters
August 13, 2017, 8:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not sure what people have seen in McAllister, many on here are suggesting we shouldn't make assumptions based on one game this season yet some seem to think that McAllister is the answer to our midfield problems based on 4 games 3 of which were a year ago.

Let's hope he is what we are missing.

Well he made a real difference in the last game last season against Plymouth.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 141
Garth
August 14, 2017, 6:39am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not sure what people have seen in McAllister, many on here are suggesting we shouldn't make assumptions based on one game this season yet some seem to think that McAllister is the answer to our midfield problems based on 4 games 3 of which were a year ago.

Let's hope he is what we are missing.

Will he ever be fit again to play a handful of games for us, seems to me to be another Hearn and will finish his career with us unfortunately, I can`t understand why everyone on here is thinking that he will step up to the plate as the Messiah of our midfield problems, I hope he does but my faith goes more into young Harry Clifton if he ever gets a chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 141
August 14, 2017, 6:51am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I like Mitch Rose. Alongside McAllister as the defensive midfield, he will fit nicely, Kelly, Jones & Dembele as the attacking 3.

Let's hope we see McAllister soon, although the evidence suggests he won't play 30+ games. I too would like to see Harry Clifton given an opportunity, he was the divisional player of the season at Grantham, albeit a much lower league. I think he's injured at the moment?

The five you mention though, look good. Sam Jones is wasted out wide, I don't want to see him there again - he is a dangerman through the middle and will terrify oponents.
Reply: 132 - 141
Tommy
August 14, 2017, 8:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
IMO the change of shape killed us.

Going from the 4231 at Chesterfield to a 433 on Saturday with Summerfield coming in for Kelly was the wrong choice. Should've brought in one of the two available wide players (Bolarinwa/Jaiyesimi) to take Kelly's place and kept the same shape as last week.

The change of shape meant we just had the two wingers trying to support the striker as opposed to three attacking players supporting Cardwell. And we didn't keep the ball long enough or build up play through the team to be able to get us up the pitch and get people close to Cardwell.

The midfield of Rose just behind Berrett and Summerfield held a decent enough shape but weren't as effective in possession. And I was very disappointed in the distribution of Clarke and Collins, who just seem to float high lofted balls forward in the air. Even when they were attempting a switch it diagonal pass they lofted it high with no pace,rather than a driven ball that might have not given the defender time to go across and challenge a header as if dropped from the sky.

I thought the much-criticised Summerfield did alright, including a couple of vital interceptions in our own box. Rose did alright in the first half but in the second he was caught in possession a few times, failing to turn away from the pressure or release the ball earlier.

Berrett gave a typical Berrett performance. He's not a bad player, he's decent enough technically and he doesn't have terrible games where he makes mistake after mistake. He just doesn't have any physical attributes, doesn't make quick decisions and is never in the right place at the right time when we don't have the ball.

Jones is pretty ineffective out wide (despite scoring his goal at Chesterfield when out wide right).  But he also made poor decisions on the ball and repeatedly played high balls trying to force the switch to Dembele, leaving him to challenge their full back in the air for it.

Cardwell was on a hiding to nothing battling on his own against their back 4 with little or no support. I wouldn't discard him after that, I still think he'll be useful with more players around him.

As disappointing as we were, the game was heading for a 0-0 I'm sure, until we gift them a stupid goal. Because Coventry were well organised but looked pretty average apart from that. Concerning to concede another from a set piece. I thought we looked fairly strong defending the endless corners at Chesterfield, but including the goal that came indirectly coming from a corner that day, we've conceded 3 in the 3 games from corners.

We're not a million miles away. I think we need Clements to get back and I'd also think Slade will want more quality in central midfield anyway. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a new signing come in soon in that area. We should trust players like Jones and Dembele a bit more to give them the ball when they've got a man behind them - they're asking for the ball and are good enough go receive it under pressure, trust them and give them it.

Reading everyone moaning about playing 1 up front is boring. Teams do it up and down the country. Football isn't just 442 any more. It doesn't make you defensive having 1 up top. It's about how we play the system to support attacks and balance it with defending out of possession. We played 442 under Hurst but were hardly attacking were we. It'll take a few weeks I'd imagine for Slade to tinker and find the right blend for his attacking players - where to fit Jones in, where can Dembele be most effective, who to play up front, which 3 players behind the striker if 4231 -.as friendlies don't really allow you to find these things out.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 141
lukeo
August 14, 2017, 9:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,297
Gold Stars: 134
Just watched the 10 minute highlights and the 3 half chances we had where because we played the ball on the deck.. I trust everyone on here who was at the game who said we played long ball all game. So surely even just in these short highlights it shows we create our best chances keeping the ball down.
Move in to Stevenage now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 141
Les Brechin
August 14, 2017, 9:55am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from lukeo
Just watched the 10 minute highlights and the 3 half chances we had where because we played the ball on the deck.. I trust everyone on here who was at the game who said we played long ball all game. So surely even just in these short highlights it shows we create our best chances keeping the ball down.
Move in to Stevenage now

You certainly move around a bit Luke!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 141
Maringer
August 14, 2017, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from lukeo
Move in to Stevenage now

We certainly played an interesting number of long balls towards our 5'8" winger who, oddly enough, didn't win much in the air against their 6'1" full-back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 141
HertsGTFC
August 14, 2017, 10:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Tommy
IMO the change of shape killed us.

Going from the 4231 at Chesterfield to a 433 on Saturday with Summerfield coming in for Kelly was the wrong choice. Should've brought in one of the two available wide players (Bolarinwa/Jaiyesimi) to take Kelly's place and kept the same shape as last week.

The change of shape meant we just had the two wingers trying to support the striker as opposed to three attacking players supporting Cardwell. And we didn't keep the ball long enough or build up play through the team to be able to get us up the pitch and get people close to Cardwell.

The midfield of Rose just behind Berrett and Summerfield held a decent enough shape but weren't as effective in possession. And I was very disappointed in the distribution of Clarke and Collins, who just seem to float high lofted balls forward in the air. Even when they were attempting a switch it diagonal pass they lofted it high with no pace,rather than a driven ball that might have not given the defender time to go across and challenge a header as if dropped from the sky.

I thought the much-criticised Summerfield did alright, including a couple of vital interceptions in our own box. Rose did alright in the first half but in the second he was caught in possession a few times, failing to turn away from the pressure or release the ball earlier.

Berrett gave a typical Berrett performance. He's not a bad player, he's decent enough technically and he doesn't have terrible games where he makes mistake after mistake. He just doesn't have any physical attributes, doesn't make quick decisions and is never in the right place at the right time when we don't have the ball.

Jones is pretty ineffective out wide (despite scoring his goal at Chesterfield when out wide right).  But he also made poor decisions on the ball and repeatedly played high balls trying to force the switch to Dembele, leaving him to challenge their full back in the air for it.

Cardwell was on a hiding to nothing battling on his own against their back 4 with little or no support. I wouldn't discard him after that, I still think he'll be useful with more players around him.

As disappointing as we were, the game was heading for a 0-0 I'm sure, until we gift them a stupid goal. Because Coventry were well organised but looked pretty average apart from that. Concerning to concede another from a set piece. I thought we looked fairly strong defending the endless corners at Chesterfield, but including the goal that came indirectly coming from a corner that day, we've conceded 3 in the 3 games from corners.

We're not a million miles away. I think we need Clements to get back and I'd also think Slade will want more quality in central midfield anyway. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a new signing come in soon in that area. We should trust players like Jones and Dembele a bit more to give them the ball when they've got a man behind them - they're asking for the ball and are good enough go receive it under pressure, trust them and give them it.

Reading everyone moaning about playing 1 up front is boring. Teams do it up and down the country. Football isn't just 442 any more. It doesn't make you defensive having 1 up top. It's about how we play the system to support attacks and balance it with defending out of possession. We played 442 under Hurst but we're hardly attacking were we. It'll take a few weeks I'd imagine for Hurst to tinker and find the right blend for his attacking players - where to fit Jones in, where can Dembele be most effective, who to play up front, which 3 players behind the striker if 4231 -.as friendlies don't really allow you to find these things out.

4 - 2 - 3 - 1 for me for the time being at least. Jones in the middle of the 3 behind a striker with 2 players who can play wide when required.The 2 ahead of the back 4 should be 2 from Rose, Clements and McAlsiter if fit until Osborne comes back and gives us real options.

We have a decent squad and will get the blend right I'm sure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 141
friskneymariner
August 14, 2017, 11:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Why does Tommy original post have Slade taking a few weeks to tinker,and your quote changing that to Hurst

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 141
Tommy
August 14, 2017, 12:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from friskneymariner
Why does Tommy original post have Slade taking a few weeks to tinker,and your quote changing that to Hurst

I typed Hurst by mistake but have since edited/corrected it after seeing Herts quote it.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 141
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.