This thread currently has 19,367 views. Print
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimbiggs
August 12, 2017, 5:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Tight game in the first half, in which Jones should of scored....bizarre free kick gifted them a soft goal, and they came on strong second half, and we were poor. A midfield of Berrett, Summerfield and Rose is to static, slow, and created nothing. Sam Jones virtually anonymous on left, i don't why he is played out wide, completely wasted out there. Only bright spark, was glimpses from Dembele again, and new lads came on when game was gone. Slade needs to set up more positivily at home, and we can't start with that midfield and an isolated striker upfront. A poor performance but onwards and upwards. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
August 12, 2017, 5:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,374
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from MuddyWaters

On the contrary, I thought that we did pretty well all around the pitch against a team that is on a massively bigger budget and beat us by diving, cheating and conning the ref who, together with his assistants, spoiled the game. Yes, I wish we had a more dynamic midfield too but Sam Jones had three great chances and a big positive for me was Harry Cardwell who did great on a last minute call-up.

Must have been watching a completely different game to me
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 141
Sigone
August 12, 2017, 5:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Boring..thought we lined up for a 0-0 draw and deservedly got beat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 141
fleabag1970
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Hoof ball all game . Coventry came on to us on 40 mins and were in total control for the rest of the game . If you play hoof ball and lose it is an awful watch and that is as poor as I saw at any time last season .

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 141
ginnywings

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Did nothing, created nothing, deserved nothing and got nothing. Sladeball is alive and well and at BP.

It could be a long season if that is the way we are going to play and we will probably have more joy away from home than at home, which is pretty much what happened last time Slade was here. Wasn't a fan then and i'm not a fan now. Hitting the corners at every opportunity and mostly losing possession in the process. The two best players were Jones and Dembele. Unfortunately, Jones had way more of the ball than Dembele, who watched the ball constantly fly over his head. The only time he got it to feet, he looked very dangerous, but that was all too brief. Apart from a couple of Jones shots over the bar, we didn't have a serious shot at their keeper.

Hard to say at this early stage how good Coventry are, but they were well worth the points and could be heading straight back up, so hard to judge if we were just not good enough on the day, or we not good enough full stop.

Getting fairly cheesed off with our poor home form going back for seasons now and today doesn't fill me great hope for the rest of the season. Too disjointed, gave away possession cheaply time and again, and gave our obligatory gift goal. Much improvement needed if we are to challenge at the top end. Managers come and go, players come and go, but the erratic home form persists. Don't mind losing games but at least give us something to cheer about. Not a lot to get you out of your seat today and i hope it's just down to a slow start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 141
ginnywings
August 12, 2017, 5:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I thought Cardwell was out of his depth and got about 30 mins too long. Won absolutely nothing and caused zero problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 141
Perkins
August 12, 2017, 5:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Slade ball,  hoof ball,  call it what you like , it's here again. I thought after last week we were heading for a more constructive style of play but unfortunately not. Home game, we play a lone striker with no support within 25 yards of him. No support, defence just hoofing it upfield into empty spaces. Thought Rose was pretty effective in the first half, But like his name suggests, faded in the second half. Dumbele skilful again, But We Can't rely on just him. First goal was a joke, it shook us up but their second was a good goal. One plus point, Berret won't be available next week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 141
Superdan147
August 12, 2017, 5:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
I thought it was an average performance until the first goal and then I thought we was pretty poor but nothing too worrying at this stage. Coventry are a good side, they have some decent players and they will certainly be up there at the end of the season. I think we are perhaps a couple of players short of being a really good side. this is how I saw individual performances

Macca 6-did ok like a few others.made a few routine saves

Davies 6-did ok, put a shift in so so

Clarke 6-did ok , won majority of headers, played the part in the first goal so lost marks

Collins-6-solid enough

Dixon 4-I thought he was probably our worst player. 2nd best against there number 11 all afternoon. Has to improve

Rose 6-solid, did fine, although Indeciseve a couple of times

Berrett 5-tried put a shift in but like a few was just 'ok' first yellow was silly though and ended up being sent off.

sunmerfield 6-put a shift in, did pretty well first half but performance dropped 2nd half

Dembele 7-worked hard, fracked back, moments of magic and looks an exceptional talent. Shame we couldn't get him involved more

Jones5-missed a couple of chances, particularly first half one, dallied on a couple of occasions and wasn't very effective overall. More to come

Cardwell 7-thought he put a real shift in and chased everything and defended well from the front

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 141
Badger57
August 12, 2017, 5:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
As far as I recall we didn't have a single shot on target although we had a couple of really good chances. Way too much hoofball, especially in the first half. Defensively really good for the most part, midfield bloody useless for the most part and, well, nothing up front at all...but blame that on the midfield and tactics. Dembele and Jones our best two players on the day.
I'm uninspired by that showing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 141
Rick12
August 12, 2017, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
1st half even stevens.2nd half thought Coventry shaded it

Dembele cut above. Quick skilfull and tried to make things happen. Looked our most dangerous player. Rate him highly

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 141
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.