7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
August 15, 2017, 8:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Personally thought brought in methods what were ahead of time and he was mis-understood plus Fenty felt he could not control him.e b

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 65
mariner91
August 15, 2017, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from friskneymariner
Personally thought brought in methods what were ahead of time and he was mis-understood plus Fenty felt he could not control him.e b

Which methods were they? The random team selections, the porous defence or the giving up on the play offs when they were still within reach?

Under Bignot we performed well in about 3 games that I can think of; Plymouth away, Carlisle away and Mansfield at home. There were some other wins along the way but generally we played poorly in these games, even in the win against Orient we were pretty poor in the first half against a team of kids who finished rock bottom. 3 good performances in six months is shocking. For all of Slade's faults, we have already put in more good performances than we had under Bignot: Cambridge home, Plymouth home, Yeovil home and Chesterfield away. Yes, the other three games have been poor but that is still a big improvement on how we were performing under Bignot and it is still early days.

There were rumours of dressing room unrest and players not going to sign again under Bignot. The squad was clearly not a harmonious place whilst he was here, there was no togetherness in the team and we had more thrashings under him than we'd had under PH for about three years. The squad selections were baffling, the tactics non-existent and he showed few signs of any ability in how to change the way a match was going. Stevenage away being the best example when he just threw on strikers and we played about as badly as I've ever seen us play. He talked a lot but said nothing of note in any of his interviews and whilst initially it was a breath of fresh air after PH's dour persona, it was soon very apparent that most of it was blather.

I was seriously worried about this season had we gone into it with Bignot at the helm and I'm really glad we're shot of him because the last thing we needed was someone who was out of their depth wasting money and taking us back out of the league. Slade is not perfect but he'll get us organised and I'm hopeful after Chesterfield away that we'll have some sort of gameplan, which is something we never had under Bignot. I'm not saying we'll go up but under Bignot we would have left the division in the wrong direction.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 65
headingly_mariner
August 15, 2017, 9:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
The Bignot appointment was a total car crash. He's full of hot air and not a lot else. I usually back managers to get a chance but I felt he would've got us relegated and really set us back. I'm not convinced his signings were that great. Yussuf and Gunning were pants. Asante is a perma crock and unproven. Clements and Osborne look like decent footballers but have been massively inconsistent. Jones is the only one who clearly improved us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 65
forza ivano
August 16, 2017, 12:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,133
Gold Stars: 265
interesting and maybe illuminating that 6 months on and mb is still not in a job
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 65
Madeleymariner
August 16, 2017, 1:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from mariner91

Which methods were they? The random team selections, the porous defence or the giving up on the play offs when they were still within reach?

Under Bignot we performed well in about 3 games that I can think of; Plymouth away, Carlisle away and Mansfield at home. There were some other wins along the way but generally we played poorly in these games, even in the win against Orient we were pretty poor in the first half against a team of kids who finished rock bottom. 3 good performances in six months is shocking. For all of Slade's faults, we have already put in more good performances than we had under Bignot: Cambridge home, Plymouth home, Yeovil home and Chesterfield away. Yes, the other three games have been poor but that is still a big improvement on how we were performing under Bignot and it is still early days.

There were rumours of dressing room unrest and players not going to sign again under Bignot. The squad was clearly not a harmonious place whilst he was here, there was no togetherness in the team and we had more thrashings under him than we'd had under PH for about three years. The squad selections were baffling, the tactics non-existent and he showed few signs of any ability in how to change the way a match was going. Stevenage away being the best example when he just threw on strikers and we played about as badly as I've ever seen us play. He talked a lot but said nothing of note in any of his interviews and whilst initially it was a breath of fresh air after PH's dour persona, it was soon very apparent that most of it was blather.

I was seriously worried about this season had we gone into it with Bignot at the helm and I'm really glad we're shot of him because the last thing we needed was someone who was out of their depth wasting money and taking us back out of the league. Slade is not perfect but he'll get us organised and I'm hopeful after Chesterfield away that we'll have some sort of gameplan, which is something we never had under Bignot. I'm not saying we'll go up but under Bignot we would have left the division in the wrong direction.

Who did we re-sign with Slade in charge that really mattered, Collins & Davies-average,  Macca-prone to occasional blunders, Pearson, Disley (not offered) and Andrew went, despite most fans saying they felt they should stay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 65
Abdul19
August 16, 2017, 1:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
McKeown was under contract.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gunning

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.