hheh2
August 5, 2017, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
What a game! And super support.

Thought Clarke and Collins looked fantastic together cleared everything.

Vernon has improved alot and has a strong holdup play which worked well with Kelly in the first half. Kelly on the left wing looked dangerous when he attacked and should have scored early in the second half.

Dixon was one of the most solid left backs I've seen, quick, calm and wins alot of challenges. Same as Mills.  

Rose showed his strength today winning the ball throughout the first half and doing the tough stuff looked like a quality player.

McKeown made 3 important saves today as well.

Jones has a leath streak about him too

UTM

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
pontoonlew
August 5, 2017, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Rose and the defence very good, Dembele one of the best players I've ever seen in a Grimsby shirt.

Not sure Vernon works in this formation in all honesty.

Fantastic start to the season and I'm excited for the season especially if Dembele is involved all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
hheh2
August 5, 2017, 7:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Approval: +759
How did I forget Siriki? He looked a menace and used his skill every time he got the ball practically made the second goal himself passing a few players. Truly amazing to have in the team.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
newarkmariner
August 5, 2017, 7:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Back in the house and happy as a pig in shite,
Macca made some good saves in the first half, Collins and Clarke were rock solid, Dixon calm and compossed,Mills was ok until he lost his head, Midfield was very workman like,Dembele awesome, Rose very good and Berrett was Berrett, Vernon and Jones did well,Thought the game changed when Kelly came of injured and Summerfield came on lost some width and then it became a lot harder when Dembele came off and was replaced by Davis,did not understand that because in my view it left us with no outlet,hence the ball kept coming back at us,maybe it should have been Tom Bol on instead,but hey ho what do I know, just know I'm very very happy 1-3 with no number 9.
oh yes gotta mention what fantastic support from the black and white army,simply awesome
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
grimsby pete
August 5, 2017, 7:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from pontoonlew

Fantastic start to the season and I'm excited for the season especially if Dembele is involved all season.

The plan is we get promoted,

Dembele is given a pay rise and another year ( option taken up )

We sell him to Spurs for £10 million,

Then he is loaned back to us for the season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2017, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
OK, now I've sort of recovered from the shock as I genuinly thought we would lose as we never beat Chersterfield.

First half. pressed quite high, attacked their defenders and broke on them with some strong counters.
Macca, made some great saves and was overall really strong.
Mills, played really well had their left winger in his pocket.
Clarke, looked strong cleared most things that came his way and scored a great opening goal.
Collins, same as above really minus the goal looked in command and was barking orders all game.
Dixon, good solid left back, did well with their right winger who I thought was easily their best player in the first half.
Rose and Berret, I thought these two did great they held the whole team together putting their bodies on the line throwing themselves in front of everything and started alot of our attacking plays.
Demebele, what to say really. If he carrys on like that we'll lose him in January its that simple.
Jones, carried on from last season and will certainly get us a fair few gials if he carrys on like that.
Kelly, pleasently surprised worked really hard in the first half but one little issue, he left Dixon exposed a few times
Vernon, worked hard as always and did his job of bringing the ball down and passing it on.

second half. Strange tactical decision to sit back on our own 6 yard line and invite constant pressure. Looked to catch them on the break a few times which failed as either Vernon was on his own on the half way line or no one was there at all and the ball just got pumped straight in to the box. Really strange subs from Slade, a hold midfielder for a winger who was then told to play on the wing instead of the actual winger on the bench. Then a slow right back on for our wippet winger. This left us with absolutely no pace until Cardwell came on who won us the penno.

Then a series of strange decisions from what had been a decent performance from the ref. The red for us was strange I thought the ref was harsh to give Mills his first yellow for time wasting but his 2nd was justified though, there red was fully justified. Then their player hacked down Davies and only got a yellow (I'm guessing he was trying to take control a little).

Overall a very pleasing day out and we are slowly converting my Stoke City friend into seeing the light.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
itsnotcoditshaddock
August 5, 2017, 7:41pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
When did Mills get his first booking for time wasting? Didn't see it myself!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2017, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
When we had them pinned in the last 10 minutes and they cleared the ball over the stand so we were waiting for another one

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
GyMariner
August 5, 2017, 7:46pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 7
Brilliant result!

Did we play 4231 or was it more 442 with Jones up
top with Vernon?

IF dembele keeps it up we'd be stupid to let him go in January if we're in or around the playoffs, he's only going to get better with more FL experience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2017, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
4231 with Jones dropping occasionally making it a 4321

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
LH
August 5, 2017, 8:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
That was fantastic. I was pessimistic about our chances today and was concerned where the goals would come from but the answer is obviously everywhere that you might not expect them.

I didn't think Chesterfield started that badly and the two strikers looked dangerous but as soon as our first went in they fell apart.

Dembele's run for our second is among the top five moments of brilliance I've witnessed as a Town fan. The ball through to Jone was perfect too. If he maintains that level he is really going places - I don't understand what has happened for him to not be attached to a 'proper' club before now.

Thought our defensive unit was brilliant today too. Despite a combined age that added up would pre-date the dinosaurs they were so strong. A great foundation to build a team on. Having seen the replay I think Mills could be a bit disappointed with a red but it's no great loss with a cup game to come next and an easy replacement with Davies filling in. Had it have been Dixon then we might be in trouble.

I still maintain the belief that we need at least one more striking addition. It is good news that Asante is close to a return and hopefully he can stay fit once he gets there.

One thing though: why do people spend £3.80 on a beer to chuck it in the air?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
Hagrid
August 5, 2017, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Got covered in that beer. Wasnt happy! But what a great day. He gets stick from most quarters, but i thought summerfield was very good when he came on. Popping up everywhere and getting stuck in. Playing in an unfamiliar position. For me the 2 cbs MOM. They were outstanding
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
ginnywings
August 5, 2017, 8:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Some good reports but a couple of people have said it was a great result seeing as we had no No 9. Think that's a bit unfair on Vernon and to a lesser degree on Cardwell. Buckley and Tondeur mentioned a few times how much work Vernon was getting through despite that not really being his game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
LH
August 5, 2017, 8:16pm

Vernon is an absolute workhorse and is unfairly criticised because he won't get loads of goals. You need players like that in a squad over a season.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
moosey_club
August 5, 2017, 8:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Well.....not pretty but darn dogged and determined.
Great all round team effort , to a man putting their bodies on the line to stop, block and defend our goal.

Back four looked solid apart from first 10-15 mins where O'Grady and Ugwu looked like they were bossing it, apart from that back four to me read the game superbly, stepped in countless times to intercept balls and turn over possession.

Wouldnt want to watch it every week like that as it was back to the wall stuff for long periods but a win is a win so take that.

For my money the centre midfield sat too deep, often Rose was on the toes of Clark and Collins which allowed Chesterfield to have too much time on the ball 25- 30 yds from goal, thankfully their attempts at goal or their overplaying proved ineffective.

New boys in summary....Clarke and Dixon looked very comfortable and read the game well....Rose again read the game well, especially first half, and was very tidy although not spectacular, when on the ball, Kelly...didnt show much going forward in all honesty but worked hard to protect his full back.....Dembele a very bright full debut, very tricky, slippery little player who also works darn hard, great carry for our second goal, took the ball under pressure span and carried it over 30 yds in a blink...exciting prospect....Cardwell as sub, chased the ball showing he isnt afraid to work and nicked the penalty....
Slade....no messing when Dembele went down with cramp, straight off  and subbed, good to see such decisiveness from the gaffer....also loved his post match comment of "teams win games, squads win Championships" when referring to Summerfield's and Cardwell's involvement in the 3 rd goal.....all in all......Great Day Out.   UTM

Post edit - hats off to fat boy in the pink...tried so hard to ignore or pretend we werent singing to him but he eventually caved in and just accepted it ...salute you sir

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
Hagrid
August 5, 2017, 8:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Vernons work rate today as was brilliant. He never stopped running. If people cant see that then i pity them. His hold up play and awareness was vital
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
mariner91
August 5, 2017, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,246
Gold Stars: 253
Great day out. Super support as always and amazing numbers considering not too many were that optimistic. I'm going to start by saying that Chesterfield were no mugs, they'll be in and around the play offs as they had some nice interplay in the middle and their strikers were a real nuisance.

Macca - two great saves first half and another one in the second half. Back to his best and almost faultless, I have missed this Macca.

Mills - not sure why he was sent off but he was solid before he went off. We're well stocked at right back though so no problems.

Clarke and Collins - awesome. Body on the line and although they were up against some very good strikers, we only conceded 1 which is a great sign. Anyone who was worrying about Pearson going should eat their words, especially those bemoaning their age as they are both at a level that SP, as much as I loved him, would never have reached.

Dixon - really impressed. Not as much going forward as DA but very solid. Still need back up for him but keep him fit and we've got a great defence.

Rose - Again, really impressed. Very athletic and if anyone was wondering why we signed him, this is why. RS identified we needed more physical presence in the middle and my God does he give us that. Used the ball smartly, always there for an easy pass and I think he'll prove to be this team's Bolland i.e dependable, solid, consistent and athletic.

Berrett - did well. Still think he'll be on the bench when everyone's fit but he worked hard, did his job and if he's going to be our back up then I'm happy.

Kelly - not overly impressed tbh. Seemed a bit weak and unwilling to run at people, should definitely have scored in the first half but he wasn't awful and got back and kept the shape well. Hopefully more to come.

Jones - good goal, good athlete and he's going to get at least 15 for us this season. We've got a good'un with Sam.

Vernon - I would personally still like a more mobile striker but he's a much different player to last season. Worked incredibly hard, caused problems and his hold up play leading to the third goal was brilliant. I wouldn't want him starting every game but he definitely has a part to play this season.

Dembele - kept him until last. Don't know what to say. One of the most talented players I've seen in a Town shirt. Almost unplayable at times. Feet are so good, he's smart and he knows exactly when to release it as well unlike lots of players with his skills. I'm so excited to see him improve over the season and there's no doubt he's Championship level IMO.

Subs: I thought they all did well and it shows we've got real depth.

We still need a forward, a back up left back and maybe another wide player but with Asante hopefully to come in (and I've got big hopes for him), Osborne, McAllister and Clements all to come back as well, we are looking good and I'm hopeful. After the shite served up by Bignot it was great to see a team where everyone gave their all and to quote Danny Collins, nobody was a passenger. We had a clear plan, we looked fit and with some of the forward players, Dembele in particular, we have got goals all round the side. Long way to go but a wonderful start and I'm really hopeful for this season now. UTM

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
moosey_club
August 5, 2017, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
[quote=33]Vernon is an absolute workhorse and is unfairly criticised because he won't get loads of goals. You need players like that in a squad over a season. [/quote

Thankless task for him in that formation, has to chase down 3-4 defenders when we are defending and deal with cr@p high hoofs and clearances when we had the ball.  Showed what he can do though when the ball is actually played to him as a pass, linked well in those rare circumstances when he did.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Jarmo.Is.God
August 5, 2017, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Vernon is more than just a work horse as people are saying..

He controls, chases it, plays simple passes when needed and clever passes. He might not be a goalscorer as such, but he's a very good player to have in the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
HertsGTFC
August 5, 2017, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Really good performance from a Town side who where well organised with every player knowing their jobs, today there where definitely no passengers as the team battled for each other for the whole what was it 96 minutes in the end?.  

Everybody will be raving about Dembelle and quite rightly so he has the X factor that we have been missing for years, I'm an atheist but I will offer a prayer each night to the big fella to keep him fit. His work for the 2nd goal was excellent.

For me though I thought Macca, Clarke and Collins where outstanding, in fact I would go as far as to say I'm not sure if I have seen Macca play better maybe it's the assurance provided by 2 experienced center backs who absolutely know how to defend and and get others to defend with them.

We are a striker short of being a force based upon today but don't let that take anything away from Vernon who played his role well alongside Jones who did what he gets paid for when it counted, his goal reminded me of the one away at Blackpool, really well taken.  

The central mid field 2 looked decent and put in a real shift, Rose is a good acquisition and Berrett contributed more than he has done in other starts.Anyone not mentioned above also played a part in what eventually was a game where the subs also made a real contribution.

So well done to Russ and the players, top job well done!!!

So that's the game bit but also a big mention needs to go to the travelling support who I'm sure must give the players the extra yard when they need it, great to be a part of it.

IMPORTANT FOOTNOTE - I hope that tw@t in the grey t-shirt a few rows up behind the goal who at half time insisted on trying to punch fcuk out of some bloke for whatever in front of families and kids and tried to justify his actions to the coppers never gets into a Town game again.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
LH
August 5, 2017, 8:35pm

Forgot to mention Rose. Outstanding. They've all set the bar high today so I hope they can keep it there.

Special mention for the lad in the pink in their end. Even the coppers were laughing when he was getting you fat illegitimate chanted at him.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
headingly_mariner
August 5, 2017, 8:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Enjoyed that.  There was not a Town player who wasn't completely committed today. The organisation and commitment was amazing. Dembele is great to watch and a super find. We look to have a real team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
ginnywings
August 5, 2017, 8:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Interesting that Rose is getting praised as once again he is a player that came here and was labelled as sh1t by his previous club's supporters. Shows that they shouldn't be given any credence and fans should judge for themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
heppy88
August 5, 2017, 8:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
Great team performance, great individual performances, amazing support and atmosphere. Made for a great day.
Couldnt have asked for a better start to the season. UTMM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
OllieGTFC
August 5, 2017, 8:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
This is the most organised team I have seen for a while, even in the warms looked well organised even at half time the subs are back out there doing there warm ups not just kicking ball around, very impressed today, not all going to be rosey but I think we will be up there too many people writing us off I like to call it underdogs

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
bluerose13x
August 5, 2017, 8:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
My 1st look today at the new faces (no friendlies for me) so it's too soon for me to mention how each player played/stand out performances, I've got to regonize them by sight 1st instead of thinking whos that....!

But that was a really really good perfomace, defence played super soaked up a lot of pressure esp. in 2nd half. I feel if this had been early last season we would have let them back in the mach.

Our 2nd goal was faannnnntastic, had to look it up who scored and made the run it thou!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
Gaffer58
August 5, 2017, 9:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Regarding Vernon, remember Emile Heskey, most people thought what a waste doesn't  score enough etc, but ask any of his teammates either at club or international level and they all praised him, for what he brought overall to the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
carrot top
August 5, 2017, 9:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +811
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from ginnywings
Interesting that Rose is getting praised as once again he is a player that came here and was labelled as sh1t by his previous club's supporters. Shows that they shouldn't be given any credence and fans should judge for themselves.

I thought he had a very solid game today and doesn't mind putting his foot in. He did have a big say say in Newports survival didn't he?

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
Cloudy
August 5, 2017, 9:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Decent ground, loud visiting support, very quiet home fans.

McKeown made a couple of very good saves 1st half but Kelly really missed a sitter whilst  Clarke(?) put a header just past the post. Very strong to brush aside his marker to thump home the opener.
Our 2nd goal just wow. Dembele was unplayable and the powerful run by Jones plus timing of the pass saw Town to a 2-0 lead.
I think we sat solid in the 2nd half as part of the tactic. They had lots of possession but were largely restricted to aimless hoofs on to the head of our two centre backs and shots high and wide from distance.

Good finish for their goal on the turn but within 2 minutes we were 2 ahead after good work by  Summerfield and Cardwell.

I think the ref was going to book Rose for timewasting but when he realised he was already on. Yellow he booked Mills instead. Within a minute Mills got involved and harshly got another yellow. How Dennis did get 2 yellows in those last couple of minutes was odd.

Overall a solid performance, like Clarke, Dixon and Rose on today's showing, Kelly less so whilst Dembele will be a hero if he can show that level of ability on a regular basis.

Wouldn't go over the top on one very good result but we got more today that I expected. Long season and we need 3 or 4 more imo before end if the month.

Should be carefree on Tuesday before Cov come to Town buoyed by their 3-0 win over Notts.

Encouraged
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
AndyGTFC
August 5, 2017, 9:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Great start and a cracking result because they'll be a good side for me and put us under a lot of pressure throughout the game. We took our chances when they came and did brilliantly to defend our lead once we got it. McKeown, Clarke, Collins and Dembele were all terrific.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
ginnywings
August 5, 2017, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I think Slade likes his teams to sit deep and encourage the opposition onto us, then hit them fast on the break. I wouldn't be too worried that the other team puts us under pressure, as i think we are set up to cope with that and welcome it. It won't always work but it was the way we played under Slade last time and we won more than we lost. It especially suits away games and we had a great away record in his second season last time around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
HertsGTFC
August 5, 2017, 10:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
We held a reasonably high line in the first half, well higher than in recent seasons.In the 2nd half I don't think it was that we sat deep but that they actually pinned us back for long periods.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
Hertsmariner
August 5, 2017, 10:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +695
Just back-really enjoyed that one and so pleased I went! Being exiled in Hertfordshire, it's almost impossible, even as a ST holder, for me to get a ticket with the away following, so had to be discreet sitting over the half-way line in amongst some pretty hysterical blue-shirted folk!
Much has been said already, but I thought our 2600+ fans were amazing and helped to galvanise the team to a very solid performance. Great first half by both teams though. Soaring far-post header from Clarke and then a truly magical second. I remarked on here after the Barnsley friendly that Dembele has a very special talent and, dare I say it now, far too good for this division. He alone is worth the admission money and I hope footy fans will fill BP to admire this fantastic young player before he's gobbled up by some Qatari-subsidised mega-bucks PL club.
Elsewhere, there were some very gritty, gutsy performances. But, if only Vernon could receive more balls to feet, he would be even better. I also feel Kelly needs a little more conviction-e.g. he really should have buried that first half 'sitter' -but perhaps its a confidence thing. Still, this is nit-picking and shouldn't be taken out of the context of a brilliant start to the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
Tommy
August 5, 2017, 10:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Great away day.

4-2-3-1 with Berret/Rose as the 2 and Kelly/Jones/Dembele as the 3 behind Vernon.

Early in the first half it looked like we were quite open at the back with distances between players too big. Their front 2 were getting the ball played into them too often/easily and we gave them too much time on the ball in our defensive third at times. But going the other way we looked threatening when we had the chance to break forward.

McKeown made 2 really good saves 1st half to keep it 0-0. Macca was actually pretty solid today and only had one moment when coming for a ball that was dropping straight down from 20 yards up in the air.

Rose was getting about the pitch and winning balls that I thought he was second favourite for. Strength and athleticism, and calm on the ball too.

Kelly should have scored when there was only a defender between him and the goal but he hit it straight at the defender. Wasn't poor but didn't have much of an effect on the game.

Berrett was similar to last season. Very one-paced without a 2nd gear to move into, and is not much use out of possession as he is never in the right place at the right time. But his set-peice delivery was quite good today and it was his corner that Clarke headed in our first.

Vernon worked hard and showed some good touches but is not a striker to leave isolated as he isn't mobile enough and needs players near him.

Dembele was a shining light and caused problems whether he was left, right or central. Jones seems wasted out wide, however it was while out on the right that he got his goal. Great goal it was. Great work for Dembele running all that way, a perfectly weighted pass and Jones with a strong run and composed finish.

2nd half we seemed to stop the service into the Chesterfield front two a lot better (Rose a bit deeper) which allowed them to still have plenty of time on it in midfield, but at least that was in front of us.

Chesterfield must have had 20 corners but I didn't feel troubled at any point because with Collins, Clarke, Rose, Jones,Vernon etc heading then away they never troubled us.

Summerfield really gave us something when he came on. Engaged with opposition quicker than others were doing and was positive on the ball. Hopefully fans will give him a chance as he really helped us see it through today after some over-the-top criticism in the last 6 months.

Concerning when Dembele went off and it seemed a strange choice to put Davies on in his place at the time. From that point until Cardwell came on we struggled to get out as we didn't have anyone close to Vernon when we played it forward.

Cardwell did enough for me to suggest he will be a useful player this season. Looked a real presence but also quite quick for a guy his size.

Showed great game-management towards the end keeping it in the corners and in their half for long spells. Harsh sending off for Mills I though but right back is where we are best covered and it's only a cup game he'll miss.

Good start. We're still a coupe of additions short of being real challengers I think.

My MOM: Dixon. Absolutely solid, clever, read the game, made tackled and interceptions and used the ball well.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
mariner91
August 5, 2017, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,246
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from ginnywings

Tbf, Mansfield fans said he was their best player before Evans came in. It was only Newport who said he was sh1t but the Welsh wouldn't know a good player if he slapped them in the face.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
BeijingMariner
August 5, 2017, 11:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 40
Appreciate all the in-depth reviews here. I watched with my lad on the patchy iFollow and agree with most of what is said here. I too kept hearing myself praising Vernon (apart from a couple of wayward passes) and the CB's too. Dembele is a magician. Was amazed at the last 5 minutes and how Dennis wasn't sent off, awful behaviour and so obviously deliberate, starting with the Davis challenge way after the ball had gone....poor officiating there, ref could have lost the pitch entirely so agree with the comments on why he dealt with Mills that way. There was noone in the team who didn't give everything, very impressed. Whatever we might think of Bignot, he never seemed to have that level of commitment AND organisation at the same time. We actually looked like a team who knew what they were doing and how to go about it. Never thought that Chesterfield looked like they would take any of their chances, tbh. Great start. UTM!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
gobby
August 6, 2017, 7:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Slade is not my choice of manager but, he set the team up to perform as an away team should be set up, soak up the pressure then counter attack and it worked superbly. Chesterfield are no mugs and they will finish towards the right end of the table. as for Town, well a couple of tweeks here and there and we should also finish at the right end. Fantastic support and from my view we was looked after by a fine set of stewards.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
Garth
August 6, 2017, 7:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
My man of the match yesterday for sheer effort, non stop running and a consistant aerial dual wth their centre backs was Vernon, he seems to have gone to a new level of fitness this season, showing that theres more to leading the line than scoring goals.
Our defence was outstanding yesterday but the midfield still lacks a playmaker IMO Berret falling short  in this category, would have loved to have seen a fit Osbourn in that position.
Some changes expected for Tuesday obviously but on todays showing I,m quietly confident that we  have the making of a passionate squad of players this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
ginnywings
August 6, 2017, 8:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Is Dembele not a playmaker?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
EY Mariner
August 6, 2017, 12:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Whatever you describe him as in player terms, he could be a real star. We may well not see a better Town goal all season than our second yesterday.

Before yesterday's game, I felt we were still two, maybe three, players short of having a squad that could challenge at the right end and I still think that. But I also told a work colleague the other day that the 40/1 that was available on us to win the league could soon start to look very big. That process has already begun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
Garth
August 6, 2017, 1:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from ginnywings
Is Dembele not a playmaker?

No! not in the way I mean  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
ginnywings
August 6, 2017, 1:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Garth

No! not in the way I mean  

He gave a good impression of one yesterday. That through ball was straight out of the playmaker playbook. Can't see where you could fit someone else into a 4231 system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Jarmo.Is.God
August 7, 2017, 8:46am

Vodka Drinker
Obviously Demeble is getting the majority of the praise, and rightly so!

But a mention to Berrett & summerfield when he came on.

Berrett didn't put a foot wrong, assisted the first goal with a great corner, and also played that beautiful threw ball to Kelly who had is 1 on 1 saved well by Anyon.

Summerfield is a great player to bring on in games like that, because he doesn't look for the sidewards pass, he looks to get his head down and just run at the stretched defence, and did a very good job at it in that second half.

Not getting carried away here, as it just seemed to be our day, but it was our day because slade got everything right, and everyone of the players put their bodies on the line
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
moosey_club
August 7, 2017, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Berrett didn't put a foot wrong, assisted the first goal with a great corner, and also played that beautiful threw ball to Kelly who had is 1 on 1 saved well by Anyon.

Summerfield is a great player to bring on in games like that, because he doesn't look for the sidewards pass, he looks to get his head down and just run at the stretched defence, and did a very good job at it in that second half.

Not getting carried away here, as it just seemed to be our day, but it was our day because slade got everything right, and everyone of the players put their bodies on the line

Berrett gave up the ball cheaply which allowed them to get the corner they scored from...outside of that nothing majorly glaring but i still dont want to see him in there as i think there are better options within the club, just hope that some of the injured/missing midfielders get back soon.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
sam gy
August 7, 2017, 10:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,386
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Great ball in from Berrett form the free kick resulting in the headed chance too.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
NorthseaMariner
August 7, 2017, 11:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
The GET appears to say Mills was given a straight red. Is that correct?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
Jarmo.Is.God
August 7, 2017, 11:41am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
The GET appears to say Mills was given a straight red. Is that correct?

No
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
mimma
August 7, 2017, 12:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
In the highlights he clearly gets a 2nd. yellow and then red.

I can't see what he did that warrants it to be honest. All he did was stick his chest out. The Chesterfield player went into him with his knee in his back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Mariner Timsky
August 7, 2017, 12:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Approval: +1,535
He managed to get a yellow for taking a throw in after Rose didn't want to take it and threw it to Mills. So I'm assuming that was classed as time wasting.

Then I think it was Summerfield who took a knee in the back and then Mills reacted by doing a bit of the chest out thing!

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
moosey_club
August 7, 2017, 12:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
In the highlights he clearly gets a 2nd. yellow and then red.

I can't see what he did that warrants it to be honest. All he did was stick his chest out. The Chesterfield player went into him with his knee in his back.

my initial reaction at the game was it seemed harsh, first viewing on highlights i thought harsh....but i have watched it a couple of times now, mainly to see what their dirty tw@t Dennis was upto in the middle of it all and Mills looks to rake his studs down his leg IMO.
Misses one cup game, take it and move on.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
NorthseaMariner
August 7, 2017, 12:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
I didn't think he'd been given a straight red. Just the good old GET getting it wrong.
Not sure why I get the Red Cross for asking the question though. 😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just on bus back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.