This thread currently has 11,390 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
August 5, 2017, 8:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
That was fantastic. I was pessimistic about our chances today and was concerned where the goals would come from but the answer is obviously everywhere that you might not expect them.

I didn't think Chesterfield started that badly and the two strikers looked dangerous but as soon as our first went in they fell apart.

Dembele's run for our second is among the top five moments of brilliance I've witnessed as a Town fan. The ball through to Jone was perfect too. If he maintains that level he is really going places - I don't understand what has happened for him to not be attached to a 'proper' club before now.

Thought our defensive unit was brilliant today too. Despite a combined age that added up would pre-date the dinosaurs they were so strong. A great foundation to build a team on. Having seen the replay I think Mills could be a bit disappointed with a red but it's no great loss with a cup game to come next and an easy replacement with Davies filling in. Had it have been Dixon then we might be in trouble.

I still maintain the belief that we need at least one more striking addition. It is good news that Asante is close to a return and hopefully he can stay fit once he gets there.

One thing though: why do people spend £3.80 on a beer to chuck it in the air?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
Hagrid
August 5, 2017, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,380
Gold Stars: 527
Got covered in that beer. Wasnt happy! But what a great day. He gets stick from most quarters, but i thought summerfield was very good when he came on. Popping up everywhere and getting stuck in. Playing in an unfamiliar position. For me the 2 cbs MOM. They were outstanding
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
ginnywings
August 5, 2017, 8:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Some good reports but a couple of people have said it was a great result seeing as we had no No 9. Think that's a bit unfair on Vernon and to a lesser degree on Cardwell. Buckley and Tondeur mentioned a few times how much work Vernon was getting through despite that not really being his game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
LH
August 5, 2017, 8:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Vernon is an absolute workhorse and is unfairly criticised because he won't get loads of goals. You need players like that in a squad over a season.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
moosey_club
August 5, 2017, 8:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Well.....not pretty but darn dogged and determined.
Great all round team effort , to a man putting their bodies on the line to stop, block and defend our goal.

Back four looked solid apart from first 10-15 mins where O'Grady and Ugwu looked like they were bossing it, apart from that back four to me read the game superbly, stepped in countless times to intercept balls and turn over possession.

Wouldnt want to watch it every week like that as it was back to the wall stuff for long periods but a win is a win so take that.

For my money the centre midfield sat too deep, often Rose was on the toes of Clark and Collins which allowed Chesterfield to have too much time on the ball 25- 30 yds from goal, thankfully their attempts at goal or their overplaying proved ineffective.

New boys in summary....Clarke and Dixon looked very comfortable and read the game well....Rose again read the game well, especially first half, and was very tidy although not spectacular, when on the ball, Kelly...didnt show much going forward in all honesty but worked hard to protect his full back.....Dembele a very bright full debut, very tricky, slippery little player who also works darn hard, great carry for our second goal, took the ball under pressure span and carried it over 30 yds in a blink...exciting prospect....Cardwell as sub, chased the ball showing he isnt afraid to work and nicked the penalty....
Slade....no messing when Dembele went down with cramp, straight off  and subbed, good to see such decisiveness from the gaffer....also loved his post match comment of "teams win games, squads win Championships" when referring to Summerfield's and Cardwell's involvement in the 3 rd goal.....all in all......Great Day Out.   UTM

Post edit - hats off to fat boy in the pink...tried so hard to ignore or pretend we werent singing to him but he eventually caved in and just accepted it ...salute you sir

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
Hagrid
August 5, 2017, 8:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,380
Gold Stars: 527
Vernons work rate today as was brilliant. He never stopped running. If people cant see that then i pity them. His hold up play and awareness was vital
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
mariner91
August 5, 2017, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,573
Gold Stars: 260
Great day out. Super support as always and amazing numbers considering not too many were that optimistic. I'm going to start by saying that Chesterfield were no mugs, they'll be in and around the play offs as they had some nice interplay in the middle and their strikers were a real nuisance.

Macca - two great saves first half and another one in the second half. Back to his best and almost faultless, I have missed this Macca.

Mills - not sure why he was sent off but he was solid before he went off. We're well stocked at right back though so no problems.

Clarke and Collins - awesome. Body on the line and although they were up against some very good strikers, we only conceded 1 which is a great sign. Anyone who was worrying about Pearson going should eat their words, especially those bemoaning their age as they are both at a level that SP, as much as I loved him, would never have reached.

Dixon - really impressed. Not as much going forward as DA but very solid. Still need back up for him but keep him fit and we've got a great defence.

Rose - Again, really impressed. Very athletic and if anyone was wondering why we signed him, this is why. RS identified we needed more physical presence in the middle and my God does he give us that. Used the ball smartly, always there for an easy pass and I think he'll prove to be this team's Bolland i.e dependable, solid, consistent and athletic.

Berrett - did well. Still think he'll be on the bench when everyone's fit but he worked hard, did his job and if he's going to be our back up then I'm happy.

Kelly - not overly impressed tbh. Seemed a bit weak and unwilling to run at people, should definitely have scored in the first half but he wasn't awful and got back and kept the shape well. Hopefully more to come.

Jones - good goal, good athlete and he's going to get at least 15 for us this season. We've got a good'un with Sam.

Vernon - I would personally still like a more mobile striker but he's a much different player to last season. Worked incredibly hard, caused problems and his hold up play leading to the third goal was brilliant. I wouldn't want him starting every game but he definitely has a part to play this season.

Dembele - kept him until last. Don't know what to say. One of the most talented players I've seen in a Town shirt. Almost unplayable at times. Feet are so good, he's smart and he knows exactly when to release it as well unlike lots of players with his skills. I'm so excited to see him improve over the season and there's no doubt he's Championship level IMO.

Subs: I thought they all did well and it shows we've got real depth.

We still need a forward, a back up left back and maybe another wide player but with Asante hopefully to come in (and I've got big hopes for him), Osborne, McAllister and Clements all to come back as well, we are looking good and I'm hopeful. After the shite served up by Bignot it was great to see a team where everyone gave their all and to quote Danny Collins, nobody was a passenger. We had a clear plan, we looked fit and with some of the forward players, Dembele in particular, we have got goals all round the side. Long way to go but a wonderful start and I'm really hopeful for this season now. UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
moosey_club
August 5, 2017, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
[quote=33]Vernon is an absolute workhorse and is unfairly criticised because he won't get loads of goals. You need players like that in a squad over a season. [/quote

Thankless task for him in that formation, has to chase down 3-4 defenders when we are defending and deal with cr@p high hoofs and clearances when we had the ball.  Showed what he can do though when the ball is actually played to him as a pass, linked well in those rare circumstances when he did.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Jarmo.Is.God
August 5, 2017, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Vernon is more than just a work horse as people are saying..

He controls, chases it, plays simple passes when needed and clever passes. He might not be a goalscorer as such, but he's a very good player to have in the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
HertsGTFC
August 5, 2017, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Really good performance from a Town side who where well organised with every player knowing their jobs, today there where definitely no passengers as the team battled for each other for the whole what was it 96 minutes in the end?.  

Everybody will be raving about Dembelle and quite rightly so he has the X factor that we have been missing for years, I'm an atheist but I will offer a prayer each night to the big fella to keep him fit. His work for the 2nd goal was excellent.

For me though I thought Macca, Clarke and Collins where outstanding, in fact I would go as far as to say I'm not sure if I have seen Macca play better maybe it's the assurance provided by 2 experienced center backs who absolutely know how to defend and and get others to defend with them.

We are a striker short of being a force based upon today but don't let that take anything away from Vernon who played his role well alongside Jones who did what he gets paid for when it counted, his goal reminded me of the one away at Blackpool, really well taken.  

The central mid field 2 looked decent and put in a real shift, Rose is a good acquisition and Berrett contributed more than he has done in other starts.Anyone not mentioned above also played a part in what eventually was a game where the subs also made a real contribution.

So well done to Russ and the players, top job well done!!!

So that's the game bit but also a big mention needs to go to the travelling support who I'm sure must give the players the extra yard when they need it, great to be a part of it.

IMPORTANT FOOTNOTE - I hope that tw@t in the grey t-shirt a few rows up behind the goal who at half time insisted on trying to punch fcuk out of some bloke for whatever in front of families and kids and tried to justify his actions to the coppers never gets into a Town game again.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just on bus back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.