hheh2
August 5, 2017, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
What a game! And super support.

Thought Clarke and Collins looked fantastic together cleared everything.

Vernon has improved alot and has a strong holdup play which worked well with Kelly in the first half. Kelly on the left wing looked dangerous when he attacked and should have scored early in the second half.

Dixon was one of the most solid left backs I've seen, quick, calm and wins alot of challenges. Same as Mills.  

Rose showed his strength today winning the ball throughout the first half and doing the tough stuff looked like a quality player.

McKeown made 3 important saves today as well.

Jones has a leath streak about him too

UTM

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
pontoonlew
August 5, 2017, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Rose and the defence very good, Dembele one of the best players I've ever seen in a Grimsby shirt.

Not sure Vernon works in this formation in all honesty.

Fantastic start to the season and I'm excited for the season especially if Dembele is involved all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
hheh2
August 5, 2017, 7:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
How did I forget Siriki? He looked a menace and used his skill every time he got the ball practically made the second goal himself passing a few players. Truly amazing to have in the team.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
newarkmariner
August 5, 2017, 7:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Back in the house and happy as a pig in shite,
Macca made some good saves in the first half, Collins and Clarke were rock solid, Dixon calm and compossed,Mills was ok until he lost his head, Midfield was very workman like,Dembele awesome, Rose very good and Berrett was Berrett, Vernon and Jones did well,Thought the game changed when Kelly came of injured and Summerfield came on lost some width and then it became a lot harder when Dembele came off and was replaced by Davis,did not understand that because in my view it left us with no outlet,hence the ball kept coming back at us,maybe it should have been Tom Bol on instead,but hey ho what do I know, just know I'm very very happy 1-3 with no number 9.
oh yes gotta mention what fantastic support from the black and white army,simply awesome
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
grimsby pete
August 5, 2017, 7:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from pontoonlew

Fantastic start to the season and I'm excited for the season especially if Dembele is involved all season.

The plan is we get promoted,

Dembele is given a pay rise and another year ( option taken up )

We sell him to Spurs for £10 million,

Then he is loaned back to us for the season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2017, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
OK, now I've sort of recovered from the shock as I genuinly thought we would lose as we never beat Chersterfield.

First half. pressed quite high, attacked their defenders and broke on them with some strong counters.
Macca, made some great saves and was overall really strong.
Mills, played really well had their left winger in his pocket.
Clarke, looked strong cleared most things that came his way and scored a great opening goal.
Collins, same as above really minus the goal looked in command and was barking orders all game.
Dixon, good solid left back, did well with their right winger who I thought was easily their best player in the first half.
Rose and Berret, I thought these two did great they held the whole team together putting their bodies on the line throwing themselves in front of everything and started alot of our attacking plays.
Demebele, what to say really. If he carrys on like that we'll lose him in January its that simple.
Jones, carried on from last season and will certainly get us a fair few gials if he carrys on like that.
Kelly, pleasently surprised worked really hard in the first half but one little issue, he left Dixon exposed a few times
Vernon, worked hard as always and did his job of bringing the ball down and passing it on.

second half. Strange tactical decision to sit back on our own 6 yard line and invite constant pressure. Looked to catch them on the break a few times which failed as either Vernon was on his own on the half way line or no one was there at all and the ball just got pumped straight in to the box. Really strange subs from Slade, a hold midfielder for a winger who was then told to play on the wing instead of the actual winger on the bench. Then a slow right back on for our wippet winger. This left us with absolutely no pace until Cardwell came on who won us the penno.

Then a series of strange decisions from what had been a decent performance from the ref. The red for us was strange I thought the ref was harsh to give Mills his first yellow for time wasting but his 2nd was justified though, there red was fully justified. Then their player hacked down Davies and only got a yellow (I'm guessing he was trying to take control a little).

Overall a very pleasing day out and we are slowly converting my Stoke City friend into seeing the light.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
itsnotcoditshaddock
August 5, 2017, 7:41pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
When did Mills get his first booking for time wasting? Didn't see it myself!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2017, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
When we had them pinned in the last 10 minutes and they cleared the ball over the stand so we were waiting for another one

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
GyMariner
August 5, 2017, 7:46pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Brilliant result!

Did we play 4231 or was it more 442 with Jones up
top with Vernon?

IF dembele keeps it up we'd be stupid to let him go in January if we're in or around the playoffs, he's only going to get better with more FL experience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
sonofmadeleymariner
August 5, 2017, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
4231 with Jones dropping occasionally making it a 4321

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just on bus back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.