9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
August 17, 2017, 7:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Has anybody thought King George? Or Bradley? Sorry I've joined this thread late.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
marinerrick
August 17, 2017, 8:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
maybe we should try and switch the games so the game that matters is at BP and the other is at linden club, more support would want to watch the game that counts, i wont be able to go but will still donate to worth while cause

"edit" sorry missed other threads, send the mariners to PP to play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
Tommy
August 17, 2017, 8:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from moosey_club

GY Borough and Cleethorpes Town i can sort of see why they may feel this could threaten their relationship with the club after all they have the friendlies each season now that raises funds to help their clubs with games at their pitches...Lucarlys though...??
I cant imagine what Lucarly's stand to lose out of this to even feel threatened/wary.......do the club regularly hire out Lucarly's for functions ? Hire the pitch for training ? Use it as a conference facility ? Does JF use it as a drinking hole ?  What repercussions could there be ?
If anything Lucarlys and McMenemies are both function facilities fighting for business in the same pond arent they ?

Grimsby Borough are now running Lucarly's I believe.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
RichMariner
August 17, 2017, 11:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Well, I for one think this is a great initiative and I hope to be there to enjoy it.

We, as football fans, have been let down by those who are supposed to be in charge of the sport we love. The PL is on a quest for world domination and as part of that it's now affecting a competition that has - or should have - nothing to do with them.

Football is for the fans. Clubs are - or should be - run by fans. We are the lifeblood. If we're suddenly taken out of the equation on votes like this Checkatrade charade then that's the sign of a club that's lost perspective of what truly matters to it.

I'm massively disappointed that our board voted in favour of elite under-23 teams joining the Checkatrade. I have no intention of watching any match in this competition and would rather watch a football match that's all about the fans.

Hopefully enough people agree, and enough people come along to watch the fans' match to make other clubs sit up and take note - or, even better, other clubs' fans see what we're doing and start to organise their own fans' match on the same night as their Checkatrade matches.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
Quagmire
August 17, 2017, 12:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Excellent Cod Almighty piece today:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6392
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
Bigdog
August 17, 2017, 12:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
A section of a piece written on Cod Almighty below that sums up perfectly my feelings re how our club is being run and echoes my concerns for the future. When an incumbent has been in a position for a long time, they begin to think that the organisation they serve and they themselves are one and the same. Something needs addressing as I've never felt so detached from how I feel the club should be run..

"What the boycott match was not about was John Fenty or Grimsby Town. That was unless (as the facts we have presented might suggest) Fenty, and perhaps others at the club, have started using their position to bully community organisations into turning away business.

Fenty has taken to branding his plans to move the club to Peaks Parkway as a "community stadium". What kind of community does he really want to be a part of if one week he is telling a locally owned newspaper it must pay to speak to Russell Slade, and the next he is letting local sports clubs believe they need his permission before they decide to host a charity match? When Fenty talks about "community", I can't help but imagine him in a 17th-century wig, a latter-day Louis XIV, saying: "Les Mariners? C'est moi."

There is no sustainable community model that is based on one person having such power that he can dictate to all others. And there is no future for Grimsby Town if it allows its majority shareowner to treat his personal views and interests as being identical with the club.

For that reason, every Town fan has an important choice to make on 29 August. Missing a Grimsby Town match is a wrench – support is what supporters do – but understand that if you go along to the Checkatrade Trophy match you are supporting those who want to mould the Football League for the convenience of Premier League clubs with more players than they know what to do with. And now, until someone puts an alternative construction on the facts presented above, you will also be complicit in the cowing of grassroots sport."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
Cloudy
August 17, 2017, 3:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Bigdog

"What the boycott match was not about was John Fenty or Grimsby Town. That was unless (as the facts we have presented might suggest) Fenty, and perhaps others at the club, have started using their position to bully community organisations into turning away business.

Fenty has taken to branding his plans to move the club to Peaks Parkway as a "community stadium". What kind of community does he really want to be a part of if one week he is telling a locally owned newspaper it must pay to speak to Russell Slade, and the next he is letting local sports clubs believe they need his permission before they decide to host a charity match? When Fenty talks about "community", I can't help but imagine him in a 17th-century wig, a latter-day Louis XIV, saying: "Les Mariners? C'est moi."

There is no sustainable community model that is based on one person having such power that he can dictate to all others. And there is no future for Grimsby Town if it allows its majority shareowner to treat his personal views and interests as being identical with the club.

For that reason, every Town fan has an important choice to make on 29 August. Missing a Grimsby Town match is a wrench – support is what supporters do – but understand that if you go along to the Checkatrade Trophy match you are supporting those who want to mould the Football League for the convenience of Premier League clubs with more players than they know what to do with. And now, until someone puts an alternative construction on the facts presented above, you will also be complicit in the cowing of grassroots sport."

Nail, hit, head
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
fleabag1970
August 17, 2017, 7:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
With this current news I will no longer be putting my hard earned money into jf's pocket .... I'm out .... if this is true it is disgusting dictatorial behaviour imo

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
lukeo
August 17, 2017, 8:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I kind of have to agree with fleabag... I really hope Fenty hasn't stuck his nose in as it seems, always supported him and everyone at Gtfc but this is not good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
Green27
August 17, 2017, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
http://imgur.com/a/xE71n

Entirely coincidental

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Checkatrade Trophy boycott - fans game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.