Green27
August 16, 2017, 8:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Cloudy
Is it right that the game has been moved again because Lucarlys were worried about a backlash from the club?

Afraid so and it's not the only one to do so. We made a lot of concessions for Lucarlys so they were comfortable with the arrangement too, the club were contacted to give them reassurance that a backlash wouldn't be the case. The name was changed to avoid the use of the word boycott at behest of the club. We also promoted it as a match against the competition rather than the club for going forward with it again after ignoring fans and the Trust on our words and actions from last season. Personally I'm pretty annoyed by the whole thing but to reiterate the club have not actively sort to quash the game rather the places we approached or agreed to host the game were worried about it being used against them in the future by the club.

But we have found a new place! Third times a charm and all that. St Christophers. We will give you more details as they come.

Stay tuned for the next probable announcement when it's changed to Ploggers or we go 90's rave style where you all have to go to a designated phone booth to find out the location 24 hours beforehand most probably a field off the A18.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
MrFisherman
August 16, 2017, 8:50pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
And people thought it would be easy to organize a so called boycott match and they are playing it in a church hall now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
HotToddy
August 16, 2017, 8:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: -444
Why are we boycotting the Checkatrade again? Other club's fans have got bored and can't be arsed now. Do we still think that the Premier League are going to takeover the world?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
moosey_club
August 16, 2017, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Green27

Afraid so and it's not the only one to do so. We made a lot of concessions for Lucarlys so they were comfortable with the arrangement too, the club were contacted to give them reassurance that a backlash wouldn't be the case. The name was changed to avoid the use of the word boycott at behest of the club. We also promoted it as a match against the competition rather than the club for going forward with it again after ignoring fans and the Trust on our words and actions from last season. Personally I'm pretty annoyed by the whole thing but to reiterate the club have not actively sort to quash the game rather the places we approached or agreed to host the game were worried about it being used against them in the future by the club.

But we have found a new place! Third times a charm and all that. St Christophers. We will give you more details as they come.

Stay tuned for the next probable announcement when it's changed to Ploggers or we go 90's rave style where you all have to go to a designated phone booth to find out the location 24 hours beforehand most probably a field off the A18.

Well thats a shame, at least the other places had facilities for spectators St Christophers hardly has facilities for the players !!  

Which without may effect casual protestors from attending. Hope you get a good turnout, if i am back from work in time i will do my utmost to get there.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
biggles9999
August 16, 2017, 9:44pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
We are looking to put some facilities in place at St Christopher's that will cover the things we are losing out on, including alcohol etc

More details will be out in due course.

Obviously we are frustrated because all 3 of the venues that would've been ideal are unavailable for a variety of reasons. But if people were only coming because of he facilities then we haven't hit the point well enough.

This is to boycott the competition and raise awareness. As far as I and the team are concerned, we'd play on the beach at low tide if it got the message across.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
KingstonMariner
August 16, 2017, 9:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It's a shame they feel the club might take revenge at some point. Thought it was a bit oddthat the Linden Club found out it had some building work going on. A cynic would see a mysterious hand at work in the background.

My concern is that the strategy is to force the fans game into playing on a potato field and the 'authorities' ban it because they deem it unsafe for 100s of people turning up.

intercourse it now. Even if I can only get a few hours off in the afternoon, I'm definitely coming.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
biggles9999
August 16, 2017, 10:42pm
Main Stander
I will defend the Linden Club.

They did contact me very quickly to apologise for their mistake and the poor communication on their part. They've also made some generous offers to continue supporting us, albeit they aren't able to host.  

This is because of building works they have to get their facilities upto scratch for Clee Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
moosey_club
August 16, 2017, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It's a shame they feel the club might take revenge at some point. Thought it was a bit oddthat the Linden Club found out it had some building work going on. A cynic would see a mysterious hand at work in the background.

My concern is that the strategy is to force the fans game into playing on a potato field and the 'authorities' ban it because they deem it unsafe for 100s of people turning up.

intercourse it now. Even if I can only get a few hours off in the afternoon, I'm definitely coming.

GY Borough and Cleethorpes Town i can sort of see why they may feel this could threaten their relationship with the club after all they have the friendlies each season now that raises funds to help their clubs with games at their pitches...Lucarlys though...??
I cant imagine what Lucarly's stand to lose out of this to even feel threatened/wary.......do the club regularly hire out Lucarly's for functions ? Hire the pitch for training ? Use it as a conference facility ? Does JF use it as a drinking hole ?  What repercussions could there be ?
If anything Lucarlys and McMenemies are both function facilities fighting for business in the same pond arent they ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
biggles9999
August 16, 2017, 10:44pm
Main Stander
Sorry meant to add (typing on my phone and it doesn't let me edit!)

We'd love to see you there though, show the other facilities and the club what they're missing out on!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
biggles9999
August 16, 2017, 11:10pm
Main Stander
Quoted from MrFisherman
And people thought it would be easy to organize a so called boycott match and they are playing it in a church hall now

We were under no illusions that it would be easy, but we wanted to turn something that is generally considered to be a negative (boycott, protest, whatever phrase you use) and turn it into a positive for our local community.

I'm not going to sit here and lecture people on why they should or shouldn't attend. That's everyone's personal decision.

Since everyone would've been sat at home twiddling their thumbs we thought it would be the best way to not only support some charities close to ourselves, but also to raise awareness of our thoughts on the competition.

You may not agree with what we are doing, but please do not denigrate either myself or anyone organising the event. We knew it wouldn't be easy but we did it anyway because we thought it right.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Checkatrade Trophy boycott - fans game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.