9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Richard Cranium
August 15, 2017, 5:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Quoted from LH
I take it you won't be putting a coach on then?
Maybe if we reach the final

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 80
Sigone
August 15, 2017, 10:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Looking at the attendances tonight I would say there 25% of a normal league game, which is probably comparable to what the previous cup competition was in the 1st round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 80
Southwark Mariner
August 15, 2017, 10:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Green27

Over my cold dead body.

hehehe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 80
arryarryarry
August 16, 2017, 1:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Cloudy
Can i bring my dog? If so i will 'buy' him a ticket too

Just what I was thinking, if the wife wants to go.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 80
biggles9999
August 16, 2017, 10:51am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Richard Cranium
No way would I ever boycott a Grimsby Town game

Thats fine, each to their own and we aren't looking to take anybody away who wishes to attend.

Indeed we would actively encourage anybody coming to our game to also visit the club shop and purchase items to the value of the ticket price. This will still support the club whilst making our point about the competition.

Just to note for those talking about attendances, I cant comment on last night but based on this article from last season....https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....e-bteamboycott-bites

The average attendance went from 1871 to 1462 on average, so around a 22% drop.

It is difficult to compare for Grimsby, but as an example in 07/08 when we played Huddersfield at home in the first round we had an attendance of 1204, against a season average of 4115 so around 30% of our attendance average game to the JPT Game.

Last year we had 609 + 597 for the 2 games against a season average of 5259 - so around 11% of the average attendance for the season. It is also a 50% drop on our previous involvements in the competition.

Clearly a lot of fans feel the same way, particularly in Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 80
headingly_mariner
August 16, 2017, 11:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from biggles9999

Thats fine, each to their own and we aren't looking to take anybody away who wishes to attend.

Indeed we would actively encourage anybody coming to our game to also visit the club shop and purchase items to the value of the ticket price. This will still support the club whilst making our point about the competition. [b][/b]

Just to note for those talking about attendances, I cant comment on last night but based on this article from last season....https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....e-bteamboycott-bites

The average attendance went from 1871 to 1462 on average, so around a 22% drop.

It is difficult to compare for Grimsby, but as an example in 07/08 when we played Huddersfield at home in the first round we had an attendance of 1204, against a season average of 4115 so around 30% of our attendance average game to the JPT Game.

Last year we had 609 + 597 for the 2 games against a season average of 5259 - so around 11% of the average attendance for the season. It is also a 50% drop on our previous involvements in the competition.

Clearly a lot of fans feel the same way, particularly in Grimsby.

Why? those in charge at the club voted for the current format. They should pick up any shortfall because of it. I would have gone to all the home trophy games and spent a fair whack in the club shop this season, but my spending stops at a season ticket now. The vast majority of fans have been completely ignored. It was time for the club to support the fans and those in charge have let us down.

A tournament with regionalised groups without B teams would have been a massive winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 80
Vance Warner
August 16, 2017, 11:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Some disappointing attendances last night although when you look at how desperate clubs have been to attract fans it's not surprising. Plymouth offered £8 per adult and kids free so overall takings would have been well down. Makes my blood boil that for some kids this farce will be their first experience of attending a football match. I'm immensely proud that our fans are leading the way in standing up for the future of lower league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 80
biggles9999
August 16, 2017, 11:11am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Why? those in charge at the club voted for the current format. They should pick up any shortfall because of it. I would have gone to all the home trophy games and spent a fair whack in the club shop this season, but my spending stops at a season ticket now. The vast majority of fans have been completely ignored. It was time for the club to support the fans and those in charge have let us down.

A tournament with regionalised groups without B teams would have been a massive winner.

Again, each to their own.

From my perspective a lot of people are saying to me that they dont want the club to be affected financially, but wish to make their point to the club. I personally am in the same boat, I will go along and purchase something but wouldn't buy a ticket/attend the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 80
Cloudy
August 16, 2017, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
It is of course up to individual choice whether they attend the game or not.

I will not attend any games in this trophy whether we get to Wembley or not.

I am not THAT concerned about the inclusion of B teams into the league structure but my principles say to me that the game i have followed for nearly 60 years is disappearing too fast.

Owners, major shareholders, chairmen or whoever inject, in some cases, a lot of their own money into clubs but even they know that deep down their clubs only exist because of the supporters. The people that pay money week in week out to follow their clubs.

This Under 21/23 thingy is about one thing, money. The owners showed they can be bought off by the big boys who have no interest in lower league football. What angers me is that many clubs asked for their fans views on the competition but then ignored them.

If fans allow this to continue then i really do fear for lower league clubs such as ours. We might survive but I would hate to have contributed to the demise of others be it Morecambe, Swindon or Yeovil.

The divide between the have's and the have nots is wider than ever and continues to grow. For me it is time to split, let the Premiership disappear up its own bottom because it has no value to the likes of GTFC. The trouble is so many clubs aspire to be like them and because of that will blindly toe the line and dance to their tune. The trouble is by doing so they are turning their backs on the very people that keep them going. A hundred thousand pounds from the Prem league is nothing when set against the income provided by fans who stand by their clubs.

Enough is enough and it is time for people who believe a lot of the above to make stand for the long term survival of lower league football.

Despite this I appreciate that some see it differently
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 80
The Yard Dog
August 16, 2017, 12:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from biggles9999

TBH Matt Dean is one person I havent hit yet.

Trying to get in contact with a variety of local and national sources however to get the word out. I'm expecting that as soon as one source hits it, then others will soon follow......hopefully anyway.

Have you tried Jeff Stelling at sky, that local comedian who presents soccer AM, talksport etc.

Nigel Lowther at the Cleethorpes Chronicle, don't charge him for a interview

Got any photographers for the game?

Would be great to get fans form over attending, that would be a real headline story.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Checkatrade Trophy boycott - fans game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.