Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We're close to the striker!!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 299 Guests

We're close to the striker!!!

This thread currently has 18,159 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 7, 2017, 6:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don't agree Lee. Amond showed he could score goals out of nothing, and got all manner of goals: tap-ins, goalmouth scrambles, lucky rebounds, headers, penalties, long-range shots. Admittedly against lower opposition, but if you've got that in your armoury and can score (what 15?) goals for a relegated team, you have the wherewithal to prosper in League 2.

Slade may be setting up in a 4-4-1-1 (or 4,3,2,1) because he thinks he doesn't have the right personnel for other formations.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 75
Swansea_Mariner
August 7, 2017, 6:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Having not seen JJ play I have no idea really but from what I've read so far he doesn't sound like a hold up back to goal type forward. If we sign him I'd probably expect him to play off Vernon/another if we are in for two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 75
lee65
August 7, 2017, 6:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,482
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Don't agree Lee. Amond showed he could score goals out of nothing, and got all manner of goals: tap-ins, goalmouth scrambles, lucky rebounds, headers, penalties, long-range shots. Admittedly against lower opposition, but if you've got that in your armoury and can score (what 15?) goals for a relegated team, you have the wherewithal to prosper in League 2.

Slade may be setting up in a 4-4-1-1 (or 4,3,2,1) because he thinks he doesn't have the right personnel for other formations.

Fair points KM, good debate though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 75
KingstonMariner
August 7, 2017, 7:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from lee65

Fair points KM, good debate though

Yep. Agree on that mate.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 75
chaos33
August 7, 2017, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
That's what I was getting at Kingston.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 75
Maringer
August 8, 2017, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,468
Gold Stars: 185
You'd have thought that a 4-3-3 (or some variation thereof) ought to be possible with a more athletic and mobile front man available. I think we have the basis for a capable enough midfield 3 for the first time in a while which does give options elsewhere.

That said, Slade seems to be setting up to play a more defensive style allied to fast breaks, so perhaps we'll continue to mostly see a packed midfield? Regardless, I'd expect us to continue with the same slightly defensive formation tonight that we've seen in pre-season. Question is, what sort of a team will Derby put out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We're close to the striker!!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.