sam gy
August 3, 2017, 11:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from friskneymariner
How is criticising not having brought in a decent striker saying we should splash out money the club has not got.
Slade himself says he is looking for a striker, and we are starting the season without a full squad,you tell me what about that is exorcising you so much, it is fact.

It isn't, and i haven't said that. If you read my second to last post you'll see i specifically mentioned that. Here are the quotes for you, just in case you can't be bothered to read it (it's a long post, i'll admit):

"And we know we've still got budget left to bring the right players in."

"Our own fans seem to be writing us off already before we've kicked a ball, on the basis that we haven't brought in another striker yet. But we've got goals in the team, and we WILL bring in another striker."

The fact that we've not brought another striker in yet points to two things:

1. the right player hasn't become available, or hasn't wanted to come to us.
2. The players we have wanted have been out of our budget.

Don't get me wrong, i want a new striker as much as the next fan, but I'd rather we waited for the right player, and one that we can actually afford. In the meantime, we've got Sam Jones who is capable of scoring goals, and we've got Cardwell who has looked good in pre-season.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2017, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from sam gy
But how is criticising the club for spending within it's means a valid criticism? Do we think John Fenty is sat on piles of cash which he has earned through the profit making machine that is Grimsby Town Football Club? Did he go and buy another mansion with the Bogle money instead of putting it back into the running of the club?

All businesses need new money from time to time. It is very unhealthy for any business to carry on doing what they're doing because you'll carry on getting what you've got. Whatever has happened financially at GTFC over the past decade or more is having a negative impact on further investment - that's not me having a go, it's a fact. Grimsby Town FC is in debt to the tune of a large sum of money, benign or otherwise, and I can't see it changing any time soon.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
sam gy
August 3, 2017, 12:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from MuddyWaters

All businesses need new money from time to time. It is very unhealthy for any business to carry on doing what they're doing because you'll carry on getting what you've got. Whatever has happened financially at GTFC over the past decade or more is having a negative impact on further investment - that's not me having a go, it's a fact. Grimsby Town FC is in debt to the tune of a large sum of money, benign or otherwise, and I can't see it changing any time soon.

I agree, and don't dispute that at all.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
arryarryarry
August 3, 2017, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Unless somebody has the facts whats the point in speculating about budget size?

Leicester demonstrated the power of teamwork over individual ability and I think we need to focus on GTFC as a team not a collection of 11 individual players and their respective merits. I accept when new players come in we will debate opinion on whether we think it is a good or bad signing but in pre-season we have played three league sides; beat Barnsley from the Championship, lost 1-0 to Blackburn and drew 1-1 with Wigan both from league one.

This suggests we will be competitive in League 2 with, hopefully, a mean defence. As for goals we did ok in the 3 home games we played under RS last season and I still expect new forwards to join but maybe a bit later then we hoped.

I think the above results show there is no need to be too downhearted whatever our budget is or is not.

Many suggested we shouldn't take much from thrashing the likes of Grimsby Borough, similarly we shouldn't think having beaten Barnsley we look like we will have a good season.

I will form a proper view after a few league games. However I do think we may be lacking up front and also I'm slightly worried about our two central defenders who have started most games as we have let in some really sloppy goals.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
tarka
August 3, 2017, 12:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +891
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from sam gy

People can call me a happy clapper all they want, but I'm not against criticising the club at all. One things for sure though, I'll not criticise the club for spending money it hasn't got. And I'm not really into writing our team off before we've kicked a ball either.

Agree totally!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
Laddy89
August 3, 2017, 12:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 6
Just thought I'd point out .... Dembele wanted £4500 per week initially to join that's why it took a while to get something agreed.

Obviously Fenty didn't pay that but he will be towns top earner that's for sure. That's also why they only gave him a one year with a second year option

So before you all Red Cross this like most do, that is fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
Grantley
August 3, 2017, 12:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Laddy89
Just thought I'd point out .... Dembele wanted £4500 per week initially to join that's why it took a while to get something agreed.

Obviously Fenty didn't pay that but he will be towns top earner that's for sure. That's also why they only gave him a one year with a second year option

Stating something is fact with no proof of evidence isn't going to get you very far?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
Cloudy
August 3, 2017, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Laddy89

Must go with the day job!!
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
KingstonMariner
August 3, 2017, 1:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I want £4500 a week. I don't think I'll get it.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 3, 2017, 2:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If Lenny Lawrence was here we'd have got Neymar on loan.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Budget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.